Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , Just wondering if anyone else has this issue.
Quick details.
DCT model, had its first service at 900 mls. Cant say I noticed smoke during startup during this time.
Having now done another 100 miles, it was when I started the bike to go out and play, a couple of days after picking it up from the dealers after the service that I first noticed Blue \Black smoke from the exhaust when i blipped the throttle on cold startup. It then done it again the next time I started it from cold. It doesn't do it when the engine is warmed up. But I cant remember it doing it before the service or doing it on either of the test bikes I rode.
The dealer says they all do that until the engine has warmed up, and that i should just press the start button and let it idle for a couple of minutes before reving it or setting of.
So my question is this , could I get a survey of how many of you fine people have blue/black smoke coming from your exhaust on a cold start if you rev your engine straight away, and set my mind at rest, as i was always told that smoke from an exhaust was a sign of engine trouble.
Thanks.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Did you check the oil level after the service, over-filled?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was my first thought.so I checked the level which looked high. Called the dealer and he says they put the correct amount in going by Honda's guidelines and it's because I checked the level when the bike was on the side stand it looked high. Not had a chance to check it yet on the centre stand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I managed to check the oil level tonight with the bike on the center stand. I followed the handbook instructions.
Bike on side stand, tick over for 3-5 mins. turn engine of, wait 2-3 mins then hold bike upright ( put on center stand) check level on dip stick.
Well this time there was little evidence of oil on the dipstick, I even got my spirit level on the bike to check it was on level ground, left to right.
I called the dealer yesterday and they say they put the required 4L oil in it.
Would to little oil cause smoking ?
Looks like i am going to have to take the bike in and get them to show me what i am doing wrong with checking the levels if this is where the problem lies.

·
Administrator
3,326 Posts
Is it black? Or blue/gray. If black, rather than blue/gray, wouldn't that be an indication of a rich fuel condition?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll try posting some video up . It may be helpful. I hope to get it to the dealers on Friday as they are having to sort another small problem out anyway. I will post that problem up In case anyone else has the same issue. A ratchet noise when twisting the throttle .

·
Administrator
3,326 Posts
I'll try posting some video up . It may be helpful. I hope to get it to the dealers on Friday as they are having to sort another small problem out anyway. I will post that problem up In case anyone else has the same issue. A ratchet noise when twisting the throttle .

If black smoke, and if the issue is a too rich fuel condition, I wonder if the ratchet sound could be a failing throttle position sensor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe check youroil level correctly. ....do not place bike on centerstand ......warm up 2 ...3 mins ...then let bike sitfor the same ...hold bike in upright postion .....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have hopefully edited 3 clips together and posting it on YouTube.
I have put two angles on of the exhaust smoke issue, and also added the oil level check as per manual instructions.
So if you see where/if, i am going wrong with that , please let me know.
Here's the video.

·
Registered
465 Posts
That definitely looks blue to me.

"Blue smoke is burnt oil which indicates oil is getting into the combustion chamber. This might be worn or damaged rings, worn valve stem oil seals or some other wear or damage issue."

If it was my bike, I wouldn't even try figuring out what's causing it but immediately take it to the dealership.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the bike going into the dealers tomorrow afternoon . They are going to take there own video and send it to Honda to see what they say, so i will update this post as it progresses , because it means they have to keep the bike to be able to do a cold start test , and the service dept is only open during the week.
As for the throttle , yes its the cable that is to be replaced and yes you can feel the ratcheting. Again they need to send a picture of the fault to Honda to get it done under warranty ,
I am also going to ask them to show me how they do the oil level check,as i must admit this would be the first bike I have ever heard of that doesn't use a centre stand when checking oil levels. But I will see how the dealers do it tomorrow.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've used Baxley wheel chocks to keep my bike(s) upright to check oil level without the use of a center stand.

Keep us posted on the blue smoke issue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That dipstick looks very dry, must assume there is oil in the sump and it is still crystal clear

·
Registered
480 Posts
should 4ltr of oil not be 4.2ltr on a filter change for your bike? Dipstick looks a little shy but I can't see why that would create the smoke.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts