Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys from the EU, and NA guys too. I have this crazy idea. I want to add fog lamps to my USDM '20 ATAS, but I am a picky ******* and I want to tie it in with the FN button the same way the EU guys are able to (using the SCS to add the function of course). I know that on my USDM bike, that is not an option. Beyond just the body control module not allowing it, I know there is a segment of wire missing on the output of the BCM. I am a tech by trade, so adding a wire, correctly crimping a pin, etc is childs play.
What I need to know, is if the BCM requires any sort of initialization or programming, or is it just plug and play? What other differences would I likely encounter/expect? I've heard under heavy braking, the EU bikes will flash the brake lamp. True? False?
I have found EU shops that will sell the BCM, so that's no issue. I have plans to get around the 11w cap on fog lamps, but I still need that trigger for activation, and I most definitely want them to work through OEM controls. I don't like extra buttons. I've searched, came up dry. I may be the only one dumb/crazy enough to try this. Chime in with thoughts or insights if you can. I would appreciate sponging as much as I can.
If it works, I'll definitely do a writeup. It's not the cheapest route, but the level of integration I am hoping for should tickle all the right spots in my ape brain.

·
Premium Member
CRF1100 DCT
514 Posts
... I've heard under heavy braking, the EU bikes will flash the brake lamp. True? False?
I don't think the brake light flashes but rather the indicators do, in a similar fashion as you would see if you pressed the hazard light button.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I was hoping to see someone take this on. I am an electrical idiot so it shouldn't be me.

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
388 Posts
The BCU looks like an io module which is controlled by the ECM via the can bus. So I think you need also EU software.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am NOT in USA. But it is worth, to try to ask a Honda Dealer Technician, if they can, somehow, access the software programming area of the Service Department, and download the firmware from the EU bikes to the NA bikes.
I know, is a long shot, but nothing is lost only asking.
Me too will love to have the original integration as the OP desires.
The other problem IS: Eu bikes have Immobilizer. HISS. Honda Integrated Security System.
Then....... I think the BCM will keep looking from the Signal from the Transceiver, or Key Antenna, to give OK to fuel and start the engine.
Then, I think can win in the fog lamps side, but have to fight the Immo problem, to somehow too, disable/by-pass to be able to start the engine?

Grrrrrrr. To much complications.

@Polaris0352

·
Registered
434 Posts
I don't think the brake light flashes but rather the indicators do, in a similar fashion as you would see if you pressed the hazard light button.
Correct, but the flashing frequency is much higher than regular operation. And it is a useful feature indeed. I was traveling with a friend and had to apply hard braking due to a dog that came into my path out of nowhere; the indicators flashing activated and my friend was amazed. He said that it grabbed his attention instantly and put him on brakes too even before realizing I was braking.

It is odd for me to hear that the US models (and most probably other countries as well) do not allow this feature.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for both replies there from ViperTech and Petros. @ViperTech18 , I swear I thought all modern motorcycles had an immobilizer. Good advice asking a tech. I have a good relationship with parts at my local dealer, I'll see if I can extend that to service. @Petros Galiatsis , our government in the US REALLY likes regulating useful features out of vehicles. Nothing a spry and creative guy with a strong electrical skillset can't get around though! I'll get in touch with parts at my dealer and see if they'd be willing to inquire for me. I'll report back if I find anything.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thanks for both replies there from ViperTech and Petros. @ViperTech18 , I swear I thought all modern motorcycles had an immobilizer. Good advice asking a tech. I have a good relationship with parts at my local dealer, I'll see if I can extend that to service. @Petros Galiatsis , our government in the US REALLY likes regulating useful features out of vehicles. Nothing a spry and creative guy with a strong electrical skillset can't get around though! I'll get in touch with parts at my dealer and see if they'd be willing to inquire for me. I'll report back if I find anything.
I am pretty sure there is a company that makes small electronic interfaces you connect in line with the feed to the stop light (at least) and makes it flash when braking. It is an American company I fail to recall its name. If doing what you have in mind is a no-go, either due to bike electric system restrictions or due to cost, maybe you would consider them or make yourself something similar. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, research complete. This is a fruitless venture. I have recently discovered through other posts that the EU Body Control Module comes with HISS as standard. Meaning all ROW bikes have HISS, while North American market bikes do not. Putting only a European BCM onto an NA bike would cause a no start condition as the BCM is the master of HISS. It would take retrofitting all of the components involved in the operation of HISS to get this to work. Cost/benefit ratio just got skewed way too far. Turns out my idea is so crazy it WON'T work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts