Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never touched the setting (which comes by default on the friendliest setting I think). Since I never get the feeling of the engine cutting in any situation I assumed that I'm such a gentle rider that I ain't going to trigger it under any circumstances. But then I realised that Triumph had implemented a simple and self defeating torque control on my Rocket. Instead of monitoring anything they simply cut the engine power/torque at high revs in the first 3 gears (what was the point in ramping up the power and torque of the model in 2010 in the first place?).
Does anyone know whether this is what Honda have done, and by riding it in the default mode I'm simply not experiencing the acceleration that I could be?
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
102 Posts
The torque control works by monitoring the rotational speed of both wheels and cutting power when there is a mismatch. I only use the default max mode in the rain or on loose road surfaces. I turn it off totally in dry conditions, or offroad where lifting a front tire to clear an obstacle is necessary ( no wheelies with the torque control on). You can tell a slight difference in throttle response in the more intrusive modes.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The torque control works by monitoring the rotational speed of both wheels and cutting power when there is a mismatch. I only use the default max mode in the rain or on loose road surfaces. I turn it off totally in dry conditions, or offroad where lifting a front tire to clear an obstacle is necessary ( no wheelies with the torque control on). You can tell a slight difference in throttle response in the more intrusive modes.
so are the engine power cuts clearly noticeable ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
You do notice the cut if you do something silly like jump a speed bump with TC on high and then attempt to get on the gas hard when you land. The joys of urban commuting :)

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I switched it down to 2 bars then 1 bar and didn't notice any more power/torque than in the default mode. Nor have I ever noticed anything like a pulse or the pwoer being cut or any effect like a rev limiter. So I guess I just never get into a situation where the torque control needs to do anything?
Mike

·
Registered
102 Posts
The only times I have felt it was in extreme conditions: On the interstate in a heavy storm with semis blowing by and high winds...save my butt and kept me upright. In the snow. Etc.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I notice a lack of power on dry pavement when it's in its full on mode. I believe it retards ignition timing and leans out fuel before it goes to full on ignition cutting. So you may not notice the difference on dry pavement unless your rear wheel hops or hits a patch of gravel or something on acceleration. But there is a significant amount of wheel spin in acceleration that you wouldn't notice and the traction control tries to stop it. For this reason I always shut off traction control every time I start it. If I forget to turn it off I notice within 5 feet every time because it makes such a difference for me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think it only affects power when there is a difference in wheel speeds. I tried each setting with full throttle acceleration in first gear. 3 bars and the controller shut me down the instant the front wheel tried to come up. 2 bars let the front wheel come up about an inch then shut down. 1 bar let it come up maybe 3~4 inches before it shut down. Felt like hitting a rev limiter. When turned the tc off the bike did a respectable wheelie. Whee!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it only affects power when there is a difference in wheel speeds. I tried each setting with full throttle acceleration in first gear. 3 bars and the controller shut me down the instant the front wheel tried to come up. 2 bars let the front wheel come up about an inch then shut down. 1 bar let it come up maybe 3~4 inches before it shut down. Felt like hitting a rev limiter. When turned the tc off the bike did a respectable wheelie. Whee!
That's interesting Robert, and it means the level 3 has probably saved my life. I have had 3 NC750 DCT bikes so I am very used to the way the DCT works, and I always selected sport mode in advance if I saw an overtake coming up. During the overtake the bike would often kick down a gear but with the NC it was no big deal. But I had been experimenting with S mode 3 on the AT and when I opened the throttle to squeeze in front of oncoming traffic, pow the kickdown was much more powerful than I expected and I nearly lost control. My guess is that if the torque control had not been on I would have hit the oncoming traffic on one-wheel (or more likely fallen off the back which is what happens to me when I have tried to wheelie off road :crying:)
Mike

·
Registered
33 Posts
havent noticed any difference between III and II but I has a MUCH better throttle response 0 seems slightly better again. Does this Torque Control operate secondary throttle plates not linked to the accelerator or is it ONLY acting on the ignition curve???

·
Registered
96 Posts
That's interesting Robert, and it means the level 3 has probably saved my life. I have had 3 NC750 DCT bikes so I am very used to the way the DCT works, and I always selected sport mode in advance if I saw an overtake coming up. During the overtake the bike would often kick down a gear but with the NC it was no big deal. But I had been experimenting with S mode 3 on the AT and when I opened the throttle to squeeze in front of oncoming traffic, pow the kickdown was much more powerful than I expected and I nearly lost control. My guess is that if the torque control had not been on I would have hit the oncoming traffic on one-wheel (or more likely fallen off the back which is what happens to me when I have tried to wheelie off road :crying:)
Mike
Maybe you should try tying your shoelaces to the footpegs!

·
Registered
132 Posts
With the greasy maintained roads in Thailand. setting 3 kicks in constantly with 50/50 tires. It's like being a passenger and the rider slamming the anchors on.

Rarely use 3 unless in a downpour where it's best to avoid the roads anyway. When it rains here, it's who can get home the quickest!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts