Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should new Africa Twin owners be aware of in their new bike? What are the common mechanical issues, handling problems,or quirks that are common to the new version of the AT?

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you're taller than 6ft you'll need a taller screen. If you're going to be riding off-road you'll want better more off-road biased Foot Pegs. Stock rubber should be changed asap. Cat removed for those who ride a lot off-road in dry areas to mitigate fire risk.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are absolutely right, the stock foot pegs on the bike are a joke and will be one of the first things to come off. As far as tires, will go with the Mitas E07 Dakar tires. Probably will keep the stock wind screen as I plan on a lot of off road riding and don't want the taller one smacking me in the face. Arizona definitely would fit you description of a dry area with a high fire risk. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i have changed out for a set of pivot pegs they're amazing.

I'll get a pic for ya they weren't cheap around $200 AUD but they work an absolute treat.

Cats Run Very Hot due to the chemical reaction and are known to be hot enough to ignite grass.

I also spend most of my time off-road but for those stretches of road even gravel roads at+70mph and being 6" tall the buffeting is almost unbearable if i sat 4" higher or the screen 4" lower it would be consistent wind or if the screen were 2" taller i'd be all good.

Attachments

Reactions: cehanska

·
Registered
163 Posts
I Went With MotoZ Tractionator ADV tyres plenty of traction off-road so far I have ridden them in Sand, Dirt Bitumen and on Gravel. They handle all the off-road really well and short of full Blown Knobbies you probably will struggle to do better with still reasonable on road manners. I had it up to 115mph on Blacktop and they were stable even at that speed and they corner predictably.

Attachments

Reactions: ChrisP222

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for showing the comparison of the Pivot Pegs to the stock. They are on my wish list. I see that Black Dog has a peg the refer to as a 'platform" it looks super wide but priced high.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Nusk, I see in another thread that some are attributing false neutrals and missed shifts on the Pivot Pegs. Have you experienced this with the pegs?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey Nusk, I see in another thread that some are attributing false neutrals and missed shifts on the Pivot Pegs. Have you experienced this with the pegs?
Yea I have noticed this but I think more than the Pegs being at fault I'd say the peg to shifter relationship is different with the pivot Pegs when compared to stock. I'm going to try this week with my MX boots to get the adjustment correct between the Pegs and Shifter.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In general, I love my DCT, but I find the instrument cluster is a dust magnet when riding in the dirt. Also, the contrast of the panel numbers is too low in many lighting situations and it is more difficult than it should be to read the numbers. Overall, I love it and it has quickly become my favorite bike to ride.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No bike is perfect, and it is a new addition to Honda's line up. I waited a year to see how the shakedown of the first release would go.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My 0.05:

I ride around 70% dirt, so off came the stock tyres. They were rubbish anyway. I use Tractionators.

Even for somebody of normal height the standard screen buffets pretty bad at highway speed. I fitted an MRA X-Screen and that issue is resolved. Once adjusted correctly it virtually eliminates buffeting.

The OEM footpegs are horrible and have to go. They will be next.

I'm not a big fan of the OEM pipe and cat, but I'll be keeping them unless somebody comes up with a pipe that is just as quiet. Ask any rural property owner here in New South Wales (Australia) what pisses them off most about dirtbike riders and the answer will be trespassing and loud pipes. I don't see the need to antagonise rural property owners unnecessarily because one day you might need their help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
what don't i like about the AT - to be honest i have not ridden it long enough as it spends more time back at the dealers than with me as it keeps cutting out at various speeds last one was at 105kms on outside lane overtaking and then nothing had a **** of a job to coax the bike through traffic to the hard shoulder and this is the 7th time
Honda have had it back now about 3/4 weeks and the usual comment - cant find anything wrong mate - when i mentioned fix it or i sue you - then low and behold they found something that might be the problem - Bank angle sensor - but am an engineer and while not fully compliant with today's engines and the computer inputs sensors do am also not stupid either - and am sure this sensor may have an impact , but am more convinced the set up to meet euro 4 emissions is more the problem - running to lean / not enough air intake / or head porting - will be checking in today
as for handling am a 6foot 245 lb lump and after a few clicks front and back it handles like a sportsbike - so all in all if we can sort out the cut outs then a bloody good bike

·
Registered
41 Posts
Looking into this thread, and other threads/ forums its seems as the AT is mostly reliable but few lemons are out there.
Is this the general consensus? My bike will arrive in less than a month, should I be concerned? Is this problematic bike?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looking into this thread, and other threads/ forums its seems as the AT is mostly reliable but few lemons are out there.
Is this the general consensus? My bike will arrive in less than a month, should I be concerned? Is this problematic bike?

I have 6200 miles on mine and I'm still on the stock tires to boot. I do not have one problem that others have reported and not 1 complaint about the bike. I predict yours will be the same and you will love it. Relax and enjoy the anticipation.

Edit - I do have one complaint and it is the footpegs are to small. It is a easy fix though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Crazy distracting fun-robbing buffeting at highway speeds: Not bad for an hour's ride to get to a trail, or a commute, but debilitating on anything longer. Have an MRA Vario Touring screen on the way.....hopefully, that will improve matters. I am 6'1".

1 - 20 of 82 Posts