Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a nice little morning jaunt at 5:30 am through the Sonoran Desert. Saguaros were blooming, and it was 83 F (28.3 C) when I started and quite pleasant. When I pulled back into my driveway at about 10:50 am, the lovely Air readout on the twin was indicating 105 F (40.6 C).

My Camelback was yielding less than refressing water by that time, and I was struck with the idea that 4:00 am would have been a better start-time.

The hottest stint I have ridden was 122 F (50C) Vegas to Barstow in late July. I survived by freezing a half dozen gatorades in plastic bottles, then throwing them in a side bag for consumption along the way.

Where to you draw the line?

Any tips for riding when it gets really hot? (Other than "fuggeddaboutit?")

·
Administrator
1,893 Posts
Tips for riding when hot.

Keep hydrated of course. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I like to add electrolytes to the water.

Fill the Camelback with 1/3 water and 2/3 crushed ice. It will keep it colder longer. You can also pack it with those chemical ice packs. I have a ton of those things. I ask for them at pharmacies, etc.

The evaporative vest helps for short periods, though they eventually do dry out. But if you stop for fuel, buy a big bottle of cold water and rewet. I also have the Rev'it cooling bands that go around your neck and wrists. They all help to keep you feeling cooler.

I think Revit maybe doesn't make their wrist bands anymore, but these are similar

I wear micro weight merino wool in the summer. I find it helps regulate temperature. It will store moisture within its fibers and acts a bit like a swamp cooler.

I will also remove the visor from my helmet and wear goggles.

Looking forward to seeing some other tips :)

·
Super Moderator
3,498 Posts
Range of temperatures I have meaningfully ridden in successfully:

-25C + freeway windchill at 115 km/h:
  • The winter gear tends to slow your body movements down.
  • Suspension tends to be very hard.
  • Helmet face shield fogging can sometimes be tricky to manage.
+42C + profuse humidity:
  • Get stuck in traffic congestion? You might short your bike electrical with bodily salt water sweat. :rolleyes:
  • If you ride an air-cooled engine, you may be challenged keeping that lump cool. I have seen air-cooled engines turn off while stuck in traffic only to almost not re-start.
  • Your helmet lining will take a salty sweat beating within the first 10 minutes unless you can get some air flowing through it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Super Moderator
2,116 Posts
Don’t have one where I live, except for ice/snow .. Summer there is none as far as heat, it’s more weather related like hail, excessive high winds, lol. but I have ridden in hail before, luckily I was on a gravel road so it wasn’t an issue. But I do try and avoid extreme storms.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The hottest I’ve ridden on the AT was last year in the north western part of Colorado in Dinosaur National Monument. According to the gauge it was a balmy 102F (38.8C) and I was basically a miserable bug looking for a windshield. :)

I learned a lot from your article, Misterk, thank you!

·
Super Moderator
3,498 Posts
The hottest I’ve ridden on the AT was last year in the north western part of Colorado in Dinosaur National Monument. According to the gauge it was a balmy 102F (38.8C) and I was basically a miserable bug looking for a windshield. :)

I learned a lot from your article, Misterk, thank you!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well,
I'm in the same boat Beowulf. I'd been inside for most of the day today where, we have the air set to 79-80. I started goofing around with the boat in the garage and found out I needed some u-bolts for the guide-ons that guide the boat onto the trailer. So, I looked them up to see if our local Tractor Supply had them, they did. So, I jumped on the AT and, opened the garaged door. WOW, I might as well have just climbed into our pre-heated oven getting ready to cook potatoes or something. It was close to 110 out there. But, I already had the AT running and out the door so, what the heck, what's a little over cooking a body on the way to Tractor Supply.....

You and I are just at the beginning of the OVEN season. We got what, a minimum of 4 months of this stuff. Yep, I'm hitting the road around 05:45 or so. My problem is, there's not much scenic driving/riding around here so, I just cruise the lake and run around the town just got get some riding in, before the tar snakes start to get slippery.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
3,498 Posts
Well,
I'm in the same boat Beowulf. I'd been inside for most of the day today where, we have the air set to 79-80. I started goofing around with the boat in the garage and found out I needed some u-bolts for the guide-ons that guide the boat onto the trailer. So, I looked them up to see if our local Tractor Supply had them, they did. So, I jumped on the AT and, opened the garaged door. WOW, I might as well have just climbed into our pre-heated oven getting ready to cook potatoes or something. It was close to 110 out there. But, I already had the AT running and out the door so, what the heck, what's a little over cooking a body on the way to Tractor Supply.....

You and I are just at the beginning of the OVEN season. We got what, a minimum of 4 months of this stuff. Yep, I'm hitting the road around 05:45 or so. My problem is, there's not much scenic driving/riding around here so, I just cruise the lake and run around the town just got get some riding in, before the tar snakes start to get slippery.
Scott
At least you"ll know your radiator fans are working, or not.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I actually heard them come on for the very first time the other day, while me and the CEO were riding home from dinner in about 100 degrees. I was cruising city streets a bit slower than I would with just me on it and, that's when I heard them come on. Yep, they work.
Scott

·
Registered
62 Posts
Shortly after getting my AT last August, I went from Williams to Perkinsville to Jerome to Cottonwood to Oak Creek Canyon up to Flagstaff. While at a stoplight in Cottonwood, a bank sign thermometer said 110°F. I was wearing a good, heavy leather jacket, partly unzipped to get some airflow. That was my last trip below 6000' until I got a textile jacket. This year, I could barely stand my textile jacket at 75°F, now I have a mesh jacket.

Last week, I fixed a flat rear tube out near Drake when it was 101°F. That was harder than riding in that heat, since the only shade I had was given off by the bike. I'm going to have to carry shorts with me for next time. Water, lots of water.

Anytime you lowlanders want to beat the heat, I'd be happy to have a ride with you up here near Flagstaff and Williams. It was 84°F here today.

Lots of water, lots. More breaks than normal, too. Water, lots of water.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Shortly after getting my AT last August, I went from Williams to Perkinsville to Jerome to Cottonwood to Oak Creek Canyon up to Flagstaff. While at a stoplight in Cottonwood, a bank sign thermometer said 110°F. I was wearing a good, heavy leather jacket, partly unzipped to get some airflow. That was my last trip below 6000' until I got a textile jacket. This year, I could barely stand my textile jacket at 75°F, now I have a mesh jacket.

Last week, I fixed a flat rear tube out near Drake when it was 101°F. That was harder than riding in that heat, since the only shade I had was given off by the bike. I'm going to have to carry shorts with me for next time. Water, lots of water.

Anytime you lowlanders want to beat the heat, I'd be happy to have a ride with you up here near Flagstaff and Williams. It was 84°F here today.

Lots of water, lots. More breaks than normal, too. Water, lots of water.
Hey,
Am I to believe there's another Zonie along with me and Beowulf? When someone mentions Williams AZ, I get excited. We have camped in Williams many, many times. At first, it was in the dry camp area of Kaibab Lake National Forest Campground. I really like that place. Then, when we want some hook-ups, we camp/stay at Grand Canyon Railway RV park and Hotel. That's a reaaaaaaalllly nice place. From there, I rode my little Yamaha TW 200 all around some of those forest service roads of Williams. I snuck over to that nice housing development that's on the other side of the tracks and a bit west of the campground. Nice area.

But, I'd really like to ride the Williams area on the AT. Beowulf has offered some riding in his area and beyond too. I can't wait to get this AT outfitted with the items I want to make it more pleasurable for longer distance riding. Thanks for the offer. I'm sure I'll take you up on it soon.
Scott

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yup, I call Williams "home". Living at 7200' has advantages, until winter. I did get a few winter rides in, 20°F on a bike is...um....chilly.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yup, I call Williams "home". Living at 7200' has advantages, until winter. I did get a few winter rides in, 20°F on a bike is...um....chilly.
Cool,
May I ask you, when you rode from Williams to Perkinsville, did you take what appears to be 73 for most of that section of the ride? If so, how was it? We've been to Dogtown lake once or twice so, I know a tiny bit about some of the roads in the area.
Scott

·
Registered
62 Posts
Coconino County 73, it is paved. It is a nice road. Butler maps class it as a G2 and G3. Nice sweeping curves, no tight twisties, though. There are a lot of tar snakes for several miles of it, some was just repaved this Spring.
Beautiful views, too!
In Williams, head south on 4th street from the main drag, it turns into 73.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Roger that Sir. The last time we were in Williams, I found those two little reservoirs just outside of town, off 4th or 6th or?. Looks like good fishing. Then there's Cateract lake. That's a cool little place too. Williams has a lot to offer for all kinds of fun. Great restaruant is the Pine Country.
Scott

·
Registered
62 Posts
City Reservoir and Santa Fe Dam, yes good fishing at all the little lakes around here. You wouldn't believe the amount of people camping in the woods all around the area right now, folks trying to escape in their Corona Campers.
I went to Pine Country just the other day! Blueberry cream cheese pie!

·
Super Moderator
3,498 Posts
Scott
You have got to post a pic of the white hot sun beating down on the AT back-dropped by the beige desert. Most importantly, a snap of the temperature as recorded by the AT instrument cluster.

Bonus points: Include a mammoth cactus.

When winter comes around again, I am sure some folks will snap more pics of the AT back-dropped by the blinding sun-lit snow, and gauge readings well into the sub-freezing range.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts