Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Africa Twin AS
113 Posts
@NWRFST77 Wouldn't hurt to ask your dealer to do the update prior to taking delivery. My dealer wanted to do the update for me before handing over the keys, but I told them I wanted to try the process out myself. Just depends on your comfort level maybe?

·
Registered
109 Posts
@NWRFST77 Wouldn't hurt to ask your dealer to do the update prior to taking delivery. My dealer wanted to do the update for me before handing over the keys, but I told them I wanted to try the process out myself. Just depends on your comfort level maybe?
I'm comfortable with doing it, but might as well have them do it. The update applies to all CRF1100 models?

·
Registered
14 Posts
FYI - I didn't see anyone address this, hopefully this isn't redundant but, I installed V3.10 on my 2021 Africa Twin today, Honda's instructions state Mac users format the USB drive as "MacOS Extended". That didn't work, the drive needs to be formatted FAT32, choose MS-DOS FAT in Disk Utility..

After that installation was flawless!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone performed the software update on a 2020 or newer bike? I downloaded the update and was gong to do it this weekend. Just wondering if anyone had tackled it yet and their experience. Below is the link to the update for those interested....

The directions for Mac says to format the USB stick Mac OS Extended. It won't work use MS-DOS FAT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Definitely use a USB extension cable. Most USB sticks are too big to fully press in. I tried about 4 times with no luck at all until I used the extension lead, then it worked first time and took about 10 minutes. The update is fantastic!!
I haven't had a chance to test ride the 3.10 update. What is fantastic about the update?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did it this weekend and the only problem I had was the USB drive would not fully "seat" into the USB slot. I tried 2 different drives - before I used a USB extension cord. Then it went as planned. The USB drives were not quite the same depth as a standard USB to Lightning (standard Apple cord) and would not "connect" for me. Once I used the extension cable the same USB drive worked perfectly. Your mileage may vary!!!
did you format the usb the way the directions said? I'm finding others formatted it a different way. I'm from the US too btw...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi everyone, in one facebook forum someone reported a version 3.3 for ours AT's, cant find anything to download, there was also rumours about ecu update but no evidence at all. Anyone heard anything about this?

·
Registered
2022 Africa Twin Manual. R380B.
419 Posts
I do not know of any available updates greater than 3.1 for download.

But my '22 came with 3.4 from factory.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The V3.4 Software Is for the MID only. For Android Auto, Car play, Functions, Display, Etc.

The Software needed for the 1-2 Upgrade resides in the Engine ECM, and also I think in the DCT Module, or TCM.
That is another software/firmware.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The V3.4 Software Is for the MID only. For Android Auto, Car play, Functions, Display, Etc.

The Software needed for the 1-2 Upgrade resides in the Engine ECM, and also I think in the DCT Module, or TCM.
That is another software/firmware.
I am NOT a computer geek type person, so take that into account. :unsure:

As far as the upgrade for the engine ECM or DCT module, shouldn't we be able to load that with a download just like the upgrade from 2.80 to 3.10? With the CanBus system, aren't all the modules connected together via a wire via CanBus and thus the software upgrade to change the shifting pattern is doable at home? That is if they want to give it to us.

????

·
Registered
419 Posts
Mmmmm. Yes and No.
The MID can be updated by the USB, since it falls under "entertainment" I think.
Cars are the same. Some can be updated by USB. Newer models even "Auto Update" themselves alone, under "OTA" Over The Air Updates, automatically, pretty much as the updates arriving to our cell phones.

But in the other side, Updates for critical Modules, as Engine, Transmission, Abs, Etc, can only be done by the Dealer, using the OEM Diagnostic Tool, and accessing their OEM Database to download the proper calibration, based in Model, Market, Version, Etc,Etc.

The USB connects to the MID, but I think the Can Bus is on a separate circuit.
That's why thre Bike have another Diagnostic Connector, with the proper connection to the Can Bus.

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Number

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi,
I just did the scheduled yearly maintenance at an official dealer and they didn't update my bike to 3.4 (i'm still at 3.1) i have a MY2020.

anyone have their bikes updated?

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,005 Posts
Did you ask if they could or would do it?
Officially the latest software for 2020-2021 models is 3.1, it is 2022 models that have the 3.4 software. It may be they also need to update other software such as ECU for it to be possible to install 3.4 on earlier AT's.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts