Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CRF1100 Africa Twin DCT
99 Posts
I spend over €18.000 on a 2021 motorcycle, got it in June 2021, and a few months later Honda does the following to the 2022 model:
  • Change the graphics;
  • Adds the €448 rear rack stock to the CRF1100 standard;
  • Increases the MSRP with something like €100 (CRF1100 standard);
  • Increases the warranty up to five years (2020/2021 years still only get two years warranty);
  • Fixes something in the DCT (which seems to be software-related, not hardware-related).

If Honda (and the dealers) really are going to let me (or us, if you feel the same way about this) down by not making a software update available for 2020-2021 years, and is going to tell us to "get the 2022 model if you want the improvements.", I will start considering selling the AT when it's out of warranty and get a German or Austrian instead. Support and service from the manufacturer, with the things they implemented on their motorcycles (AA, DCT, etc), should be better than that. Otherwise you shouldn't add it. Hardware is hardware, so if you want an upgrade, you should get the part and get it installed (electric suspension for example). But software is another (piece of) cake.

Note: The warranty seems to have triggered so much people, they started giving the option to buy three years extra warranty for 2021 models (2020 I'm not sure), which can be bought as long as the motorcycle is within the first two years of warranty. Price: €200.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I spend over €18.000 on a 2021 motorcycle, got it in June 2021, and a few months later Honda does the following to the 2022 model:
  • Change the graphics;
  • Adds the €448 rear rack stock to the CRF1100 standard;
  • Increases the MSRP with something like €100 (CRF1100 standard);
  • Increases the warranty up to five years (2020/2021 years still only get two years warranty);
  • Fixes something in the DCT (which seems to be software-related, not hardware-related).

If Honda (and the dealers) really are going to let me (or us, if you feel the same way about this) down by not making a software update available for 2020-2021 years, and is going to tell us to "get the 2022 model if you want the improvements.", I will start considering selling the AT when it's out of warranty and get a German or Austrian instead. Support and service from the manufacturer, with the things they implemented on their motorcycles (AA, DCT, etc), should be better than that. Otherwise you shouldn't add it. Hardware is hardware, so if you want an upgrade, you should get the part and get it installed (electric suspension for example). But software is another (piece of) cake.

Note: The warranty seems to have triggered so much people, they started giving the option to buy three years extra warranty for 2021 models (2020 I'm not sure), which can be bought as long as the motorcycle is within the first two years of warranty. Price: €200.
When i bought mine, they had the 0% interest rate financing option, which included 2+2 years warranty, for me this condition was the dealbreaker, finally Honda understanded the BMW finance model, 3 years free interest and buy out included if you want.
next year will see if keep this AT or move to another one. the rear rack did hurt a bit, but the new graphics, i personally prefer my mate black. the new adv mat black is tempting though.

As for software updates, nowadays we see news in the car world of hardware stuff pre installed in the cars but only available by subscription. i expect a boom of hackers in the second hand market unblocking all of this.

sorry for the post deviation, coming back to software update, i could not find any change log from 3.1 to 3.4, can't validate if they changed anything at all

·
Registered
99 Posts
So, I got some news.

It seems like the 2020/2021 CRF1100's still get updates. My dealer told me they will connect the motorcycle to their PC and check for the newest firmware next time I am going for service. Since I need some new rear brake pads soon, this action will happen in about 3-4 weeks. I will post my results then.

Also, the dealer told me there is an update for the entire system (whatever that may be), which cannot be done by users (us) themselves, only by Honda because this update is only available via their own systems and needs to happen via some sort of program (?). This update will also be installed then.

Updates from 3.1 up are not being posted online. Why not: no idea. My guess is that the 3.1 update was minor, and had little possibilities for errors, so they (Honda) published it for everyone so everyone could finally get Android Auto to work on their AT's.

Here in the Netherlands, firmware 3.4 seems to be the firmware for NT1100's only, not the CRF. This may differ per country(?).

The info described above is coming from the Honda certified engineer which has won a few national "titles" from/by Honda, so I guess it's info I/we can trust.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
So, I got some news.

It seems like the 2020/2021 CRF1100's still get updates. My dealer told me they will connect the motorcycle to their PC and check for the newest firmware next time I am going for service. Since I need some new rear brake pads soon, this action will happen in about 3-4 weeks. I will post my results then.

Also, the dealer told me there is an update for the entire system (whatever that may be), which cannot be done by users (us) themselves, only by Honda because this update is only available via their own systems and needs to happen via some sort of program (?). This update will also be installed then.

Updates from 3.1 up are not being posted online. Why not: no idea. My guess is that the 3.1 update was minor, and had little possibilities for errors, so they (Honda) published it for everyone so everyone could finally get Android Auto to work on their AT's.

Here in the Netherlands, firmware 3.4 seems to be the firmware for NT1100's only, not the CRF. This may differ per country(?).

The info described above is coming from the Honda certified engineer which has won a few national "titles" from/by Honda, so I guess it's info I/we can trust.
Honda might still be updating bike controller firmware (not Android Auto / not Apple CarPlay) via their proprietary procedures. Or, somehow the controller firmware bundles are securely managed through a Android Auto / CarPlay transport. I really doubt Honda has a handle on the latter.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Honda might still be updating bike controller firmware (not Android Auto / not Apple CarPlay) via their proprietary procedures. Or, somehow the controller firmware bundles are securely managed through a Android Auto / CarPlay transport. I really doubt Honda has a handle on the latter.
I don't really understand what you mean by the last part, but this is the info I got. So we'll see what happens.

Yesterday the dealer mentioned something about firmware version 3.3, so I decided to look this up. I found a forum page (not English) on which people are talking about V3.3, and some people receiving V3.3. So, I guess the newest version we will receive is V3.3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did anyone manage to get a 22-DCT software on his/her 21-DCT engine?
I was in touch with Honda Europe and the customer service there sent me to my local dealer as they do not have any information regarding this topic. Nevertheless, I talked to a couple of local dealer here in Germany, but really no one was able to answer this question…

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
I was in touch with Honda Europe and the customer service there sent me to my local dealer as they do not have any information regarding this topic. Nevertheless, I talked to a couple of local dealer here in Germany, but really no one was able to answer this question…
This be a recent discussion for those affected on this searchable community forum.

Welcome @Andf.

Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

·
Registered
2022 Africa Twin Manual. R380B.
419 Posts
but really no one was able to answer this question…
Very sad. The most easy way is for them is to connect the bike to Honda Server, and see which Updates are available for the Bike!.
Just Incredible they keep turning the ball and don't know nothing!!!!. :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Very sad. The most easy way is for them is to connect the bike to Honda Server, and see which Updates are available for the Bike!.
Just Incredible they keep turning the ball and don't know nothing!!!!. :mad: :mad: :mad:
A few posts back, I mentioned my dealer is going to look into this in the end of August (3 weeks from now). So after that I will post an update what they came up with. I was not amused either, but I called them, explained what's up, and they mentioned there should be updates for the CRF1100 (2020-2022). It should be possible to install the firmware on all years, not just 2021 or 2022. I'll report back in 3 weeks.

·
Registered
611 Posts
There is a " 22 file " to flash the ECU via Honda/bosch tool , honda did not switch the green light for that. So it´s possible but they haven´t the file (talking of honda europe , and yes also honda deutschland)

·
Registered
611 Posts
No server connections , only rewrite files released when needed (or few times in the year) in this case the MLG files is not available

Reactions: ViperTech18

·
Registered
CRF 1100 ATAS DTC 2020
7 Posts
Hi,

As I said in another thread about 3.4 software, after changing the TFT screen on my 2020 ATAS, I now have a 3.4 software / 5 hardware.

In my opinion, the software is just for multimedia features (Carplay, etc.). The gears management seems to be improved by an "hardware" (or so called) updating.
This may explain why the operation is only made by the authorized Honda dealer. You're not just updating your PlayStation.

The little changes I noticed : Hour is now AM/PM only. Before, I could select 12/24. Not any more (or did I miss something ?)

The drive modes setting is now improved, you select the template (silver, gold...) associated to the riding mode in a list, it's now much easier.

I don't use Carplay nor Android, so I can't say if something changed in these features.

for the first two gears management, I am analyzing it but I only suppose that the speed from 2nd to 1st is now closer to 22 kmh that the former 25 kmh. Let's see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So basically, how can I figure out which version for my DCT is installed? In the case, if I got your point, is it possible to get this information without dealer support?

Thanks✌

·
Registered
2022 Africa Twin Manual. R380B.
419 Posts
I think the User can't see the firmware version level on the Engine ECM, or Body BCU. Or also the TCM or Transmission control Module, AKA DCT.
We can only see version of software/firmware and hardware of the TFT Display.

To access the other modules, a proper Diagnostic Scanner is needed.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts