Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks. I only put 2000 miles on my AT before trading it last Friday on a new 2018 Goldwing. I found after owning it that I still wanted to pound miles on LD rides and the AT just wasn't cutting it. The longest ride I made on the AT was 450 miles in one shot, followed by a 350 mile ride a couple weeks later. I was in pain after 200 miles on each ride.

Although I loved the AT, it's just not built for my type of riding, nor does it support the injuries I've suffered over the years on my knees and shoulders. I know a lot of folks will use it for what I was trying to do with it, but I suppose I'm just getting too old and beat up.

I'll still hang around here and read about all your adventures, but I just won't be doing the same kind of thing any more.

Thanks for all the tips and advice I've received from all of you in the short time I owned the bike.

Cheers.

Check

·
Administrator
3,419 Posts
Howdy folks. I only put 2000 miles on my AT before trading it last Friday on a new 2018 Goldwing. I found after owning it that I still wanted to pound miles on LD rides and the AT just wasn't cutting it. The longest ride I made on the AT was 450 miles in one shot, followed by a 350 mile ride a couple weeks later. I was in pain after 200 miles on each ride.

Although I loved the AT, it's just not built for my type of riding, nor does it support the injuries I've suffered over the years on my knees and shoulders. I know a lot of folks will use it for what I was trying to do with it, but I suppose I'm just getting too old and beat up.

I'll still hang around here and read about all your adventures, but I just won't be doing the same kind of thing any more.

Thanks for all the tips and advice I've received from all of you in the short time I owned the bike.

Cheers.

Check
I am sure an injury history will take a cumulative toll over time and make stringing those kinds of days on the AT a chore. For now I can still do it and recently traded my 2016 AT for a 2019 ATAS. But I won't hesitate to consider a Gold Wing when the times comes to where it just isn't enjoyable anymore. I tool a test ride on a 2018 Gold Wing and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can appreciate the appeal.

Enjoy the Gold Wing and the miles you put on it and check in!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts

Cheers.

Check
I was a bit more stubborn than you did 34'000Km travelling around Europe and I'm only 37 but the weight and height of the Honda, plus that it's not really so great on highways after 4h I would really be tensed. So I am swapping this week as well, for a Tiger 800, I'm tired to park this heavy beast in the evening after long rides and I eventually did not really do much dirt riding, so I need something more appropriate now !
Can't say I will regret the Honda services prices either, because from my inquiry with Triumph, all services would be cheaper, they have a price grid that they showed me, hopefully it will be reliable like a Honda.

Have fun with your GW !

·
Registered
295 Posts
You made the right decision. I have 4 bikes because there isn’t any one that does everything well.

I sold my 2016 AT because it wasn’t great at the long haul. I bought a BMW GSA which was great for eating up distance while still allowing me to go off-road.

But I eventually bought a true long hauler, sold the Beamer and back to an AT (ATAS)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, these are all really interesting experiences. I'm 63 years, 5'11", 185lbs and 32 inch inseam, and owned in the past an XR250, and at 16 years, I had an SL125. I've had a number of european twin roadbikes inbetween and done several IBA runs, but am only still developing the off-road skills. I think all of these pieces of info play a part in how good a time I have on my 2018 AT manual. The recent trip around NM and then the trip to BC, CA were tremendous. Nothing I could do on the Wing F6B. I've toured many miles, but this AT really works for me. Unfortunately, I may beat it up pretty well before I learn all it has to offer. Good luck to all who are selling or trading. I know you'll find what you need. Shiny side up.

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hi Check6 - I am from the UK, age 66 and have the ATAS 2018 and CRF250Rally 2019.
Since the Wing came out all those years ago I have lusted for one. I have spent the last few weeks watching You tube videos of the 2018+GW. It looks great and reviews are very good.
Which version did you get, Wing, Tour manual or Tour DCT.
I love my two current bikes but I appear to be obsessed with the new wing - weird.
I would be very interested in how you find it coming from the AT.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a 2016 AT and a 2018 Gold Wing Tour, both DCT. I know two bikes for some people is just not possible but my wife rides with me most of the time and she does not care much for the AT so we spend most of our two up riding on the wing. When she has other stuff to do and can not or does not want to go with me I use the AT and like to try and hit some forest roads while out. Some times we go camping in central PA and she'll drag the camper behind the Subaru while I lead the way on the AT. While camping we ride the forest roads and hit some of the MA BDR that runs through the area. I use the AT around town for errands and such because its easier to maneuver around town and in and out of the garage. The wing actually gets better gas mileage due to the fact I ride more conservative with her on the back and more spirited while on the AT alone. I also have a ST 1300 which I use for more sportier riding but it doesn't see many miles anymore because the Wing fills in nicely for that as well. Guess my point is its nice to have different bikes for different types of riding if at all possible. Hope you guys are happy with your decisions, ride safe.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I still wanted to pound miles on LD rides and the AT just wasn't cutting it.
YEah it sure does get a lot wind buffeting and I'm looking for a good screen to fix that. Have a Kaoko for when I start doing LD next month, but still need a good seat to make it a keeper. I'm planning seasonal rides fall/spring but I would def agree with you on getting the GW since you're doing LD on a regular schedule.

Nice, wish i could sell mine
There was someone here that sold a '16 last month with a ton of farkes for $8,000 iirc, have you tried recently?

...Did 34'000Km travelling around Europe... but the weight and height of the Honda, plus that it's not really so great on highways after 4h I would really be tensed. So I am swapping this week as well, for a Tiger 800...
I also looked at the 800 Xca, and it was a close call, good choice it's a really nice bike

·
Registered
400 Posts
Having more than one bike is a luxury that I am lucky to have . For decades I have ridden fast large bikes. When I got the ATAS spring 18 I started to do more of the small moorland roads. Then got my first CRF250 rally October 18 and found it was so much fun on even smaller roads.I started to see new places. Trouble is when you hit a fast road on a 250 its a pain, that's where the ATAS comes in. Can I have the Gold Wing as a third bike, mmm, well my other half says any two but not three, a work in progress !

·
Registered
194 Posts
Agreed.

I took a quick tour to the Canadian Rockies and felt my 2017 AT was more comfortable than my R1200GS. Truth be told I'd rather have an R1200RT to go with the AT than the GS but I won't sell that bike and lose tons of money.

The only thing my AT needs is a stiffer rear coil but that is cheap.

But I also agree that the AT is not designed as an all day pavement burner. Have a Goldwing or other touring bike alongside the AT and maybe a sportier bike for fun day trips. Then we'd all be happy.

Post pics of your Goldwing OP!!!!! I do love how they look. They are pretty heavy but the low seat height really helps.

NC

Wow, these are all really interesting experiences. I'm 63 years, 5'11", 185lbs and 32 inch inseam, and owned in the past an XR250, and at 16 years, I had an SL125. I've had a number of european twin roadbikes inbetween and done several IBA runs, but am only still developing the off-road skills. I think all of these pieces of info play a part in how good a time I have on my 2018 AT manual. The recent trip around NM and then the trip to BC, CA were tremendous. Nothing I could do on the Wing F6B. I've toured many miles, but this AT really works for me. Unfortunately, I may beat it up pretty well before I learn all it has to offer. Good luck to all who are selling or trading. I know you'll find what you need. Shiny side up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The AT, especially the ATAS have seats that are at best a compromise between a dirt bike seat and a street bike seat. Even most stock street bike seats are compromises - with the Gold Wing and a few others having actual touring seats as stock. If you want to tour on an AT, then I would suggest buying an aftermarket touring seat like a Corbin. I have a bead pad that is great for in the summer or if it's raining, and I got a sheepskin on sale for $20 which I am adding straps to - but its' still lipstick on a pig compared to an actual touring seat. Since my long-distance rides usually end up offroad (or way off pavement) and in a tent - the beads and sheepskin are a good compromise because I can remove and stow them when the stock dirt bike style seat is more appropriate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I enjoy reading posts by pilgrims who want to ditch one bike for another. I have 7 bikes now, and restore old British bikes as a hobby. I also have a 2017 AT, which I just rode 3500 miles in three weeks...1100 miles on the MABDR. I am 67 years old, 60% disabled according to the US military, and even though I dumped the AT on the BDR, I got up and kept going...no injuries to me...minor to the bike. I don't see why people whine like little girls over the AT. I have a big HD Road King that is a caddy on the highways, but the AT is a fine bike as well, and I would ride it cross country in a heartbeat...in fact, planning on that next year...when I am 68! I also ride a 73 TR5T, and a 75 Trident, and have a BMW GS650...and rode one of those on a 5000 mile ride to the Arctic Circle last year. If you are hurt or have physical issues, don't blame the damned bike. Go ahead and get a Gold wing...they have no soul...

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
348 Posts
It looks like I am in similar company here. I always thought bikes were like golf clubs, you should have one for every situation. Then the really good ADV bikes appeared and could do quite a few things very well.

Since the redesigned the Goldwing and added the DCT it keeps coming back on my radar. I have had several DCT equipped Honda bikes and really love the platform. It was one of the main reasons I bought my 2018 DCT ATAS.

That was even though I already had 3 Adv bikes in the garage (S1000XR, 1260 Multistrada and 1000 Vstrom) and a BMW K1600GT. I don't want to put in print somewhere how many bikes I currently have as my wife doesn't really know and I don't want to admit to it. She already thinks I have a motorcycle addiction and that would just add fuel to the fire. Our 'official' number is 6 and I just leave it at that.

The one thing about the new Goldwing is I wish they'd given it a bit more punch. I had a chance to run one just the other day while doing some performance testing on my AT. We did a quick sprint while getting on the highway from a stop. Fortunately I had my testing gear on the bike and was able to record what I ran.

We both nailed it from the stop, I happened to be in S1 (not the ideal choice actually but better than S3 as later testing showed) and we ran then both over the ton. I beat him off the line, he pulled me just a bit to about 60 mph and toward the end of the 1/4 he was just barely walking away from me. I ran a [email protected] and he beat me by about a bike length in the 1/4. According to my data logging 0-60 in 4.38 seconds. Where we ran was slightly uphill and it was about pretty warm. The density altitude for anyone interested was 1492 feet above sea level. I had a fuel tank and with gear I weigh about 270.

I was actually expecting better pull out of the wing than that. If they could make the wing with the DCT pull like my K1600GT count me in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well I just sold my 2017 AT DCT a couple weeks ago. I put just over 8000 km on it and enjoyed very much. Unfortunately I struggled with its size and weight over my 8000 km a decided to trade it for something smaller and lighter. I’m 56, 5’8” and 165 lbs. with a full tank and my soft side bags and top box plus usual accessories it weighed 622lbs. Too much for me. I also enjoyed the DCT (the reason I bought it) but found it a bit nerve racking as the inability to disconnect the power train like a manual clutch just made it scary in many situations for me( yes I know how to drag the rear brake). I own several other clutch bikes. I do think that everyone should experience DCT but it won’t be for everyone. Don’t take this as an insult to DCT. I’ve traded it for a mid-sized KTM 790 Adventure S. It is definitely a smaller, lighter, and lower bike and fits me much better. Again not an insult to the AT but simply moving on. I still own and ride a 2013 CB1100 and a CRF250L. Honda does make great bikes.

·
Registered
400 Posts
We talk a lot about weight but its where the bike carries its weight that for me is just as important
I have a top box on my manual ATAS. When the tank is full it really feels intimidating pushing it around. On the move as we all know , weight disappears. My CRF250 Rally is a hoot. Pushing it around is like pushing a heavy pedal cycle.
The wing carries its weight very low and the crawler forward and reverse should make parking easy. I have not yet ridden the 2018 plus GW but by all accounts its night and day compared to the old GW which I have ridden.
I am 66 years old and I would like a GW before its too late. 3 bikes would be tight in the garage, but which one to let go ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Check6, I know this is down the road aways, but I thought I would check in and see how you are liking your Goldwing. Is it as comfortable as you had expected it to be? I'm primarily interested in how it does on the freeway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts