Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys sorry but tyre advice
Im currently running Continental attack trial 2s for road use only never take this bike off road
ive now had 3 splits occur and I want to change to something else
Im only ever do road miles on it so choices are
Avon Trail Riders
TKC 70s
Karoo 3 (Love the look)
Scorpion Rally STR
Battlax A41

If anyone has had any experience with any of these id love to know the pros and cons

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
297 Posts
Avon Trail Riders. Just brilliant road tires (they perform like sport touring tires, but are also capable of light offroading if need be).

·
Registered
223 Posts
If your mostly road... check out scorpion trail 2’s
totally agree, best tyre I have used for mainly road & light dirt, dual compound, sticks like the proverbial in the wet & dry, totally transformed the bike from the horrible Heideno K60's & Metzlers I was running, bike turns in nicely, tyres are nice & quiet, feels like a sports bike with these tyres.

For off road I'm now running motoz desert ht's, ok on the road, turn in has slowed down, great offroad, but noisier than a F18 fighter jet, even howl in the hard pack dirt

·
Registered
165 Posts
My bike came standard with A41's. Excellent on road. Grip all the way to the edge and beyond. Offroad surprisingly great grip as far as hard pack dirt and general light gravel is concerned.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got the A41s, Finding them very good so far, haven't tried them in the wet yet. I had the Scorpion Trail 2s on my Vstrom 1000 and they were great tyres, good grip wet or dry, predictable on turn in, no surprises or dropping into bends. excellent wear too.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Have you looked at the Shinko 705 tires. They look good, handle better than the stock Dunlap's, wear better and are cheap!!! I've got about 2,000 miles on mine and am really happy with them.
Plus one for the shinko 705, I have them too and they are excellent tyres. IMHO these are one of the best value and most versatile tyres you can get. I ride mostly on the pavement too and have gotten really, really good life out of these about 12000 km out of a rear, and that's riding hard too. They look a lot more off road biased than they are and have excellent on road handling. Can be got on sale for less than half the price of some more expensive brands.

I have had the battleaxes on a 1250 bandit I used to own and those are great tyre too. Would probably be even better now. Given the AT only 85 hp they would last forever and be better handling than any adventure touring tyre. Do thye make them in the right size for the AT though? From memory these were a road bike tyre.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have pirelli scorpion 2 on mine and loved them but after 3k miles front 1 started to delaminate. Replaced under warranty, not a common fault. Didn't put me off them as they are a great tyre

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered a set of A41s in the end as they look to be the most road biased tyres I can find, so Ill fit them when they arrive, supposed to be Monday hopefully they will be better than the Trial attack 2s
Rob

·
Registered
50 Posts
I ordered a set of A41s in the end as they look to be the most road biased tyres I can find, so Ill fit them when they arrive, supposed to be Monday hopefully they will be better than the Trial attack 2s
Rob
I have 700 miles plus tarmac use on Avon Trail Riders and am delighted. The OEM Dunlops did not inspire confidence across white paint/overbanding and the like and in wet made me nervous.

I know it's just 700 miles but I rode in horrendous wind and rain and dry sunny conditions to West Coast of Ireland and back...across Wales twice.

Currently, I'm delighted.

I have a second set of wheels with Heidenau Scout tyres on for trails, which have been very impressive off tarmac.

And my gold wheels are being replaced in November under warranty...7000 miles and 11 months.. such a shame.

Regards

Stuart

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a used AT that has Heidenau K60’s, 500 miles on them. I am surprised at how well they grip on the road. Front tire sings at 45mph but I have earplugs in. Seem to work well in the dirt also.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts