Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I bought my Crf1000 at the start of last year brand new and it currently has 24,000 miles on the clock, and some of those have been pretty rough miles having rode from Virginia to Alaska and now to southern Mexico and plenty of different road types along the way.

I am now however hearing a knocking sound, which is present in every gear, but only when there is weight and tension on the bike, ie when I'm moving and not when the gears are engaged with the rear wheel up in the air. I think it might be a failing needle bearing and I am wanting to get into the guts of it soon but was wondering if anybody has had a similar problem or experience changing out the bearings or if it possibly could be something else.

Much obliged for any information

·
Registered
990 Posts
Worn chain? Loose chain clack? I doubt it is bearings with that mileage - they should last at least twice that if not more. Easy place to start before more serious things are investigated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At first I thought it was chain but the chain looks good, it's a "knocking" sound accompanied by what does feel like a slight vibration, it also cuts out the sound when the clutch is engaged.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sounds like you either need to open up the engine now or get some good ear plugs and keep riding. If/when it grenades, you will have your answer.?

·
Registered
990 Posts
I've had Honda bikes that have had the cam chain tensioner wear out. Sounds like clacking but usually is most pronounced when idling or gearing down. Here's an example of the 'clacking' -

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hi tommytravels
I have a manual trans AF with 25,000miles I have a friend with the same bike & mileage we both had to replace the bearings in the rear wheel.
My friends failed at 19,000 mine at 22,000.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts