Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2018 Adventure Sports and when I was at the dealership they handed me a bag of all the usual documents (owner's manual/safe riding tips/ spare key etc) and there were 4 loose bolts (pictured below with the spare key for size reference) included in the bag.

The salesmen, service tech and I spent a good 15-20 minutes looking over the bike trying to figure out what they were for and we never figured it out. Did anyone else's bike come with these bolts or does anyone know what they are for?

I did try to search the forum and see if this had already been discussed without much luck so I apologize if it's already been answered.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No spare bolts came with mine bought 5 weeks ago.

Most obvious question I would ask is, where exactly were they found? With the documents, keys or?
They must have come with all of the other documentation. I bought it from a fairly large dealership and they keep all of the documents from all of their bikes in these storage bins (I helped the salesman dig through them to find the one for my bike and it took us like 20 minutes of digging to find it, it was kind of a disaster honestly). I am assuming when a bike shows up they just throw all the miscellaneous documentation into a ziplock bag, write the VIN on the ziplock bag and then throw it in the based on manufacturer. So the particular salesman/tech that I was working with had no idea who unpacked/assembled the bike and I doubt the tech who did assemble it would have remembered.

·
Registered
19 Posts
They look incredibly similar to the bolts which were replaced on mine when I installed aftermarket crash bars.

Did you have any extras installed, could they have been replaced with slightly longer bolts to accommodate a mounting plate/ bracket of sorts?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They look incredibly similar to the bolts which were replaced on mine when I installed aftermarket crash bars.

Did you have any extras installed, could they have been replaced with slightly longer bolts to accommodate a mounting plate/ bracket of sorts?
That's a good guess, but the bike is completely stock. Unless for some reason Honda sent the wrong bolts for the AS crash bars and the tech who assembled it improvised with other bolts and just threw those into the bag afterward? I am not even sure if they are shipped with the crash bars already attached or not.

I rode it home without anything rattling or falling off, so I guess they are not essential haha...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Crash bars are a dealer fit so its likely these are bolts removed from the frame to fit the crash bars with longer bolts
When I read his post I straightaway thought he meant the so-called light bars. These are already fitted to the bike when it arrives in its crate.

I wasn't aware that Honda sold crash bars for the sport as an accessory. Do they?

·
Registered
184 Posts
What?
They gave those to you?

if you read this please do not drive your bike , can be dangerous.

When new bikes arrived they are in a trasport cage , without the front wheel

The dealer have to take out it and assembly

Calipers are fitted to the fork for trasport pourpose with LOW quality bolts.

Honda give in a little plastic bag 4 X 10mm flange bolt (cod. 90123-MJP-G50) intended to replace this low quality items fitted only for transport

Honda clearly write down "Do not reuse the front brake caliper bolts"
Looks like they fitted the "trasport bolts" and gave to you the good one , as we can see red threadlocker .

I will need a better picture to identify them

You can look at the set-up instruction for new bikes here:

P.s. also a little suggestion for members here , in the future if you have NO CLUE about , please do not answer .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
What?
They gave those to you?

Honda give in a little plastic bag 4 X 10mm flange bolt (cod. 90123-MJP-G50) intended to replace this low quality items fitted only for transport

Looks like they fitted the "trasport bolts" and gave to you the good one , as we can see red threadlocker .

P.s. also a little suggestion for members here , in the future if you have NO CLUE about , please do not answer .
Interesting post Ghostrider but it raises some questions. Why would Honda choose 'low quality' bolts just to transport the bike. I can understand that once a bolt is torqued up it can affect its ability to be re-used but it would be nonsensical to source bolts made of a lower quality steel just for transport purposes. Thinking about it some more .... My NC 750 disc bolts were not supposed to be reused if they had to be removed for any reason, and I assumed that would also be the case when my discs were replaced twice on my two new sets of gold wheels for the AT. I saw that the dealership had reused the disc bolts (at least once), but when I checked the workshop manual I couldn't find any ban on doing so.
FWIW my view would be that the bolts are probably fine provided the dealer used new threadlock, BUT as Ghostrider has pointed out the workshop manual says they should not have been re-used so worth taking it up with the dealer at the first service. (I don't suppose they could be the 'used' bolts in the packet could they?)
Mike

·
Registered
184 Posts
All the bolts in the cages and used for transport fix are low quality (not even 8,8) and not with threadlock.
In this case for radial calipers the bolts have a high spec (due mechanical stress) and using the poor steel -transport one is not a good idea.

Main problem on my eyes : some dealer have to start to study and read instead to work without knowledge.

example:
if one bolt snap with stress in hard off-road use
who gonna pay the consequences?
If the driver is hurt?
If the bike is heavily damaged?

·
Registered
382 Posts
The use of temporary bolts by the factory, for transport has been confirmed by my dealer today. The mechanic gave me a look of horror when I told him about this thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a 2018 Adventure Sports and when I was at the dealership they handed me a bag of all the usual documents (owner's manual/safe riding tips/ spare key etc) and there were 4 loose bolts (pictured below with the spare key for size reference) included in the bag.

The salesmen, service tech and I spent a good 15-20 minutes looking over the bike trying to figure out what they were for and we never figured it out. Did anyone else's bike come with these bolts or does anyone know what they are for?

I did try to search the forum and see if this had already been discussed without much luck so I apologize if it's already been answered.

I was told they were the bolt to connect the top box frame to the rear Bracket… seemed to make sense

·
Registered
184 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What?
They gave those to you?

Thank you so much for your response ghost rider, I would have never thought that to be the case. However on closer inspection the bolts do seem to be the same size and proportion and the offset of the threads accounting for the caliper width. I noticed the bolts currently on the bike do in fact look like crappy hardware store bolts. I put about 80 miles on it yesterday without checking this thread, luckily nothing happened. I forgot to snap a pic, but I am going to be contacting the dealership to see what they say.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Take a 14 mm wrench and replace them.......

p.s. and go to another dealer for your services in the future....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Take a 14 mm wrench and replace them.......

p.s. and go to another dealer for your services in the future....
Seriously.

I mean it makes sense for Honda to ship it with low-grade bolts if they are going to throw them away the moment they pop on the front wheel. But you would think that the dealership would heavily emphasize the importance of not reusing the bolts used during shipping. I mean that is a huuuge liability issue if there is an accident and it comes up that they did that.

Do you have access to the full assembly instructions? I am just curious how the bike is shipped and what else is assembled by the dealership. Considering this happened I kind of want to go over all the other connections/nuts/bolts with a torque wrench just to be sure.

·
Registered
125 Posts
What?
They gave those to you?

I seem to have dark grey bolts holding my caliper on and on the other side they are shiny,Is this right?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hard to say without a picture.

You gonna trow away the whole screws and bolt of every transport cage , and the cage itself , so yes it´s pretty normal .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I seem to have dark grey bolts holding my caliper on and on the other side they are shiny,Is this right?
so the 4 highlighted ones in the attached picture are the ones we are talking about, on my bike they are shiny (incorrectly installed by the dealer) hardware store looking bolts and they should be the hardened steel looking ones that I posted a picture of in my original post (also attached for your reference)

I dont recall what the other axle pinch bolts looked like, however i can take a pic of the setup when I get home from work if you'd like.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts