Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been thinking this week that as I pass the 5K mile marker on the odometer it will soon be time for the 6K service. As it happens, Honda sent out a recall notice this week that included a new manual, so I went to look at the maintenance section and realized there was a bunch of stuff at the 4K mark that I had missed.

With that in mind, I headed down to the garage this morning and put the bike on the center stand. Drain breather tubes: check (and a pain since they are **** short). Brake pads: check. Coolant: check. Chain guard wear: check.

I left the spark arrestor for last. Pulled off the exhaust cover, then removed the heat shield. Each arrestor has three bolts that attach the arrestor flange to the can. Unscrewed the first, but found that it got tough to turn after about 4mm of travel. Didn't force it; moved on to the next. Same thing. So I went ahead and loosened all 6 bolts, and they all got tight at some point. With all 6 loosened I went back to finish removing the first bolt. Turned it slowly...slowly...bolt head comes off. Argh! **** things are $4.50 each. Decided "screw this" and began tioghtening the bolts back up again...head comes off. ARGH. Hit the other four with penetrating lubricant and waited a few minutes, then tightened them again without incident.

Has anyone completed this job successfully, or do you all just leave it to your dealer?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Bolts were sticky and one snapped off. No biggie, two is enough. I can't see taking the bike to the dealer for this - and is it really even necessary to do? Certainly not at 4k. I took my arrestors out for the first time at ~9500 miles and they were fine. Ya know what I did, though? Don't tell anyone, but I cut the arrestors off the tail pipes. Little better exhaust flow now, too.

BTW, only the US bikes have spark arrestors. On the other bikes, you can't even remove the tail pieces - they're welded instead of bolted on.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same thing happened to me. Bolts were sticky and one snapped off. No biggie, two is enough.
True but this still shouldn't happen.
I can't see taking the bike to the dealer for this - and is it really even necessary to do? Certainly not at 4k.
Probably not, but I still like to be thorough when following the manufacturer's maintenance schedule. I find it very annoying when dumb issues like this prevent me from even knowing if there is an issue.

·
Registered
CRF1000L | Gold Wing DCT
282 Posts
Only clogged spark arrestors I've ever seen came out of oil-burning two strokes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After like two hours I finally was able to drill out one of the bolts and re-tap the hole. Screw extractors didn't work (those things suck). The other one seems like it's there for good.

Oh, and when I did finally pull the arrestors, they were perfectly clean as you all suggested.

For any one else who wants to do this service, make sure to use plenty of penetrating lubricant and work the screws out and back in a few turns at a time.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I don't know of anyone who hasn't broken at least one bolt.

I broke one (last one) out of the six. I immediately knew the last one was going to break because the resistance was too high with each turn.

Any time this feeling occurs I know what to do--break out the extractor kit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are they stainless steel bolts going into SS threads? It sounds like typical SS galling. Some grades of SS are notorious for it and need to be assembled with anti-seize lubricant.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I broke 4, my plan was to delete the spark arrestors. I was only able to get one bolt back in and tightened. I tack welded the tips back on.

·
Registered
2017 CRF1000
52 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Bolts were sticky and one snapped off. No biggie, two is enough. I can't see taking the bike to the dealer for this - and is it really even necessary to do? Certainly not at 4k. I took my arrestors out for the first time at ~9500 miles and they were fine. Ya know what I did, though? Don't tell anyone, but I cut the arrestors off the tail pipes. Little better exhaust flow now, too.

BTW, only the US bikes have spark arrestors. On the other bikes, you can't even remove the tail pieces - they're welded instead of bolted on.
This thread was scaring me until I got here. 😬 so glad I don’t have them .👍🇬🇧

1 - 9 of 9 Posts