Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been thinking this week that as I pass the 5K mile marker on the odometer it will soon be time for the 6K service. As it happens, Honda sent out a recall notice this week that included a new manual, so I went to look at the maintenance section and realized there was a bunch of stuff at the 4K mark that I had missed.

With that in mind, I headed down to the garage this morning and put the bike on the center stand. Drain breather tubes: check (and a pain since they are **** short). Brake pads: check. Coolant: check. Chain guard wear: check.

I left the spark arrestor for last. Pulled off the exhaust cover, then removed the heat shield. Each arrestor has three bolts that attach the arrestor flange to the can. Unscrewed the first, but found that it got tough to turn after about 4mm of travel. Didn't force it; moved on to the next. Same thing. So I went ahead and loosened all 6 bolts, and they all got tight at some point. With all 6 loosened I went back to finish removing the first bolt. Turned it slowly...slowly...bolt head comes off. Argh! **** things are $4.50 each. Decided "screw this" and began tioghtening the bolts back up again...head comes off. ARGH. Hit the other four with penetrating lubricant and waited a few minutes, then tightened them again without incident.

Has anyone completed this job successfully, or do you all just leave it to your dealer?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Bolts were sticky and one snapped off. No biggie, two is enough. I can't see taking the bike to the dealer for this - and is it really even necessary to do? Certainly not at 4k. I took my arrestors out for the first time at ~9500 miles and they were fine. Ya know what I did, though? Don't tell anyone, but I cut the arrestors off the tail pipes. Little better exhaust flow now, too.

BTW, only the US bikes have spark arrestors. On the other bikes, you can't even remove the tail pieces - they're welded instead of bolted on.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same thing happened to me. Bolts were sticky and one snapped off. No biggie, two is enough.
True but this still shouldn't happen.
I can't see taking the bike to the dealer for this - and is it really even necessary to do? Certainly not at 4k.
Probably not, but I still like to be thorough when following the manufacturer's maintenance schedule. I find it very annoying when dumb issues like this prevent me from even knowing if there is an issue.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After like two hours I finally was able to drill out one of the bolts and re-tap the hole. Screw extractors didn't work (those things suck). The other one seems like it's there for good.

Oh, and when I did finally pull the arrestors, they were perfectly clean as you all suggested.

For any one else who wants to do this service, make sure to use plenty of penetrating lubricant and work the screws out and back in a few turns at a time.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I don't know of anyone who hasn't broken at least one bolt.

I broke one (last one) out of the six. I immediately knew the last one was going to break because the resistance was too high with each turn.

Any time this feeling occurs I know what to do--break out the extractor kit.

·
Registered
2017 CRF1000
53 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Bolts were sticky and one snapped off. No biggie, two is enough. I can't see taking the bike to the dealer for this - and is it really even necessary to do? Certainly not at 4k. I took my arrestors out for the first time at ~9500 miles and they were fine. Ya know what I did, though? Don't tell anyone, but I cut the arrestors off the tail pipes. Little better exhaust flow now, too.

BTW, only the US bikes have spark arrestors. On the other bikes, you can't even remove the tail pieces - they're welded instead of bolted on.
This thread was scaring me until I got here. 😬 so glad I don’t have them .👍🇬🇧

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I have been thinking this week that as I pass the 5K mile marker on the odometer it will soon be time for the 6K service. As it happens, Honda sent out a recall notice this week that included a new manual, so I went to look at the maintenance section and realized there was a bunch of stuff at the 4K mark that I had missed.

With that in mind, I headed down to the garage this morning and put the bike on the center stand. Drain breather tubes: check (and a pain since they are **** short). Brake pads: check. Coolant: check. Chain guard wear: check.

I left the spark arrestor for last. Pulled off the exhaust cover, then removed the heat shield. Each arrestor has three bolts that attach the arrestor flange to the can. Unscrewed the first, but found that it got tough to turn after about 4mm of travel. Didn't force it; moved on to the next. Same thing. So I went ahead and loosened all 6 bolts, and they all got tight at some point. With all 6 loosened I went back to finish removing the first bolt. Turned it slowly...slowly...bolt head comes off. Argh! **** things are $4.50 each. Decided "screw this" and began tioghtening the bolts back up again...head comes off. ARGH. Hit the other four with penetrating lubricant and waited a few minutes, then tightened them again without incident.

Has anyone completed this job successfully, or do you all just leave it to your dealer?
I broke one as well. I was able to drill it out and bought a new bolt. I use anti-seize on the bolts going forward and haven't had a problem since. I don't know what they are made of but they seem soft.

·
Registered
371 Posts
After like two hours I finally was able to drill out one of the bolts and re-tap the hole. Screw extractors didn't work (those things suck). The other one seems like it's there for good.

Oh, and when I did finally pull the arrestors, they were perfectly clean as you all suggested.

For any one else who wants to do this service, make sure to use plenty of penetrating lubricant and work the screws out and back in a few turns at a time.
Interesting, Ive never heard of spark arrestor cleaning! Yeah Ive seen crap screws.
If it was caused by over fuelling and or burning oil then surely the cat would block long before the arrestor. :unsure:
What are the service intervals?
At 60+ I'm still learning:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
The service manual states to clean them every 4k miles. Mine are just slightly coated black at 4K. I've been letting them go to 8k miles and they still aren't bad but a little more blackened. It's an easy job so I don't mind doing it. Honda seems pretty conservative with their maintenance schedule.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,737 Posts
The short answer..
Honda put some of that stuff on with waaaay to much torque. Then add in there are quite a few bolts on the AT that have a 5mm head and 8mm threads so if you don’t end up snapping them off, you end up rounding out the hexagonal part. Like for instance the bolts on the bash plate.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,737 Posts
So far I've been lucky with my bash plate bolts. They do get heated, so maybe consider a bit of anti-seize on the threads?
I just replaced mine be with titanium bolts with the correct hex size and haven’t had a problem since..

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
587 Posts
The real question is has anyone found enough soot on the screen to make it worth cleaning?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts