Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
CRF1000L | Gold Wing DCT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, during disassembly for a valve clearance check. The coil tray has to be removed. In the process two coil wires pull out. Odd look ends I observe. Where's the cavity were the cap's brass screw would thread into the end of the wire? Strange. Surely this isn't the connection. Cut away the boot cover and see what you see in the picture. No brass screw. So, I dig into the wire looking for a screw. Sure enough, they are there. Then, I see they have been broken for a while as evidenced by the signs of arcing (black soot at the break). See for yourself. Anyone else?

My AT is at 19k miles. At this point I've ordered four new plug caps. Probably will use a dielectric grease during reassembly. Then, ordering new spark plug caps to replace at the next valve clearance check as it just became a part of the routine maintenance.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
There was a post a few months back about someone having corrosion problems with these wires. Not the same what you are describing but not the first to find issues with these wires.
I plan to inspect them when I do my valves in the next 1000 miles or so...

·
Registered
10 Posts
So, during disassembly for a valve clearance check. The coil tray has to be removed. In the process two coil wires pull out. Odd look ends I observe. Where's the cavity were the cap's brass screw would thread into the end of the wire? Strange. Surely this isn't the connection. Cut away the boot cover and see what you see in the picture. No brass screw. So, I dig into the wire looking for a screw. Sure enough, they are there. Then, I see they have been broken for a while as evidenced by the signs of arcing (black soot at the break). See for yourself. Anyone else?

My AT is at 19k miles. At this point I've ordered four new plug caps. Probably will use a dielectric grease during reassembly. Then, ordering new spark plug caps to replace at the next valve clearance check as it just became a part of the routine maintenance.
Old post, but delivered my CRF1000L DCT 2016 model for the large service that includes valve clearance check (72K km) yesterday and just got a call from the repair shop saying that they needed an additional day as they needed to order new spark plug caps (harness I suppose) since the original more or less "pulverized" when they tried to pull them off. (No valve clearance adjustment on the previous two large services at 24K and 48K km, so that is good)

·
Registered
CRF1000L | Gold Wing DCT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Whatever the material used now for the traditional brass screw in the spark plug cap is for the early AT's does seem to be inferior. The screws in my plug caps had indications of arcing across crack. With a single spark plug engine, I suspect there would have been a noticeable condition with how the engine would run; and with the AT, the outer spark plugs are also firing to hide any possible running condition.

Old post, but delivered my CRF1000L DCT 2016 model for the large service that includes valve clearance check (72K km) yesterday and just got a call from the repair shop saying that they needed an additional day as they needed to order new spark plug caps (harness I suppose) since the original more or less "pulverized" when they tried to pull them off. (No valve clearance adjustment on the previous two large services at 24K and 48K km, so that is good)

·
Super Moderator
8,688 Posts
That is good indeed. Did the 72000 km service require valve clearance adjustments?

Welcome to the Forum @RuneMC!

Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is good indeed. Did the 72000 km service require valve clearance adjustments?

Welcome to the Forum @RuneMC!

Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.
The service is still ongoing. In fairness I believe he said it might take "days" to get the new plug-cap harness - but assured me it would be ready for the coming weekend.

Will update you once ready. In addition they have to fix a front wheel puncture I got last sunday getting off the highway close to home. Was able to drive walking pace home ca 1 km on the pedestrian walkway and I thought I had it fixed with a new inner tube, but still leaked slowly (possibly valve) on my way to the repair shop monday morning, so had to refill by a local gas station with compressed air before taking a chance on the last 5km - I can tell you those two incidents were exciting enough for a week. Especially the first - after taking off from the highway the first thing you get to is a roundabout. A very "hairy" moment there with totally flat tire :oops: but managed to keep the bike upright...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Seems they didn't do the valve clearance check this time - got the bike near closing time and didn't look at the bill before getting home. Replaced oil, oilfilters, brake fluid, coolant, 4x spark plugs, air filters, greased movable parts and chain . Adjusted chain. Replaced inner tube on front wheel and no issue on my 40km return home. And 2x "cap assy noise sup" with pn: 30700-HL4-A01 which I suppose are the spark plug caps.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2018 Adventure Sports. The boot came off of one of the three coil wires during a valve check. As with yours, the broken screw end was blackened indicating it has been broken for awhile (perhaps during assembly). Mine would miss during idle right after startup. The miss would go away within a minute of idling. After replacing the boot, it's no longer missing after startup.

·
Registered
475 Posts
While servicing my 18 ATAS, I removed the plug wires (pulled the ignition tray), cleaned and applied silicone paste both inside and outside the boots and caps.. Luckily none were damaged and should make removal easier next time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts