Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a thing about gauges and meters: they should be accurate. The speedo on my Africa Twin over-reports speed by 10% as measured against my GPS. That annoys me.

My wife says that is because I reside somewhere on the autism spectrum. She may be correct but I would never admit it.

So I bought a SpeedoHealer to fix the problem. It plugs into the speed sensor on the motorcycle and can be adjusted in increments on 0.01%.

Does anyone know where the speed sensor is on the Africa Twin? If so, a photo would be helpful.

·
Registered
124 Posts
And this surprises you? Actually the AT has the most accurate speedo of any bike I have ever owned. I go by GPS anyway so.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have found (using radar) that mine reads 2mph lower than actual.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What bike do you have? I have a dct and put a speedo healer in, had to cut wire by the speedo, after the ecu! I cut the wire by the speed sensor and the bike would not shift at all! Get the wiring diagram from speedo healer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The diagram posted by mudslinger is a abs sensor, the speed sensor for the speedo healer wants the speed sensor on top of the trany [motor case] under the tool box. counter shaft speed, PINK wire. Do not cut wire by speed sensor. cut wire by speedo, so this means fairing shell off. So put hot grips on at same time.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree with Vinnie, my AT is only off by 2 mph while my ST is off by 7. I can live with two.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't installed the SpeedoHealer yet because it looks like the speed sensor is under the tank. That looks like a whale of a job to get to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What bike do you have? I have a dct and put a speedo healer in, had to cut wire by the speedo, after the ecu! I cut the wire by the speed sensor and the bike would not shift at all! Get the wiring diagram from speedo healer.
hi rusty, I was wondering if you had success with the speedo healer on your DCT as I had mine installed by my dealer but it was the same as you the bike had trouble getting out of 1st. I'm having trouble with heal tech as they want photos of the install but I know its been installed properly as it works in test mode and and the speedo is corrected. I found yesterday the lower the percentage you put in it will shift above 1st gear but I've also found when you come to a complete stop and you take off again it had trouble getting out of 1st. would really appreciate your input

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a thing about gauges and meters: they should be accurate. The speedo on my Africa Twin over-reports speed by 10% as measured against my GPS. That annoys me.
Same here, speed off by +10%, mileage by +1.5%. I used to have SpeedoHealer on my VStrom in the past, it was only +7% off then. The problem with this gizmo is that it changes not only the speed reading but correspondingly the mileage as well. So if I "heal" my speed, my tachometer would be -9% off.
So I just go by GPS. I have this Garmin Oregon 300, probably for 10 years now and on 4th bike, still working great, navigation and routing capabilities, perfectly readable in sunlight, and runs 12 hours on two rechargeable AA batteries. So that is my "healer" ...:laugh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts