Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i had new spokes fitted today under warranty i thought they would be stainless, i put a magnet on them and it stuck, is'nt stainless steel non magnetic or am i wrong, anyone know?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Mine were done yesterday too. I will check mine but I think it depends on the variety of stainless steel used. Some is more magnetic than others. If they are not magnetic then the black scabbing will appear in a couple of weeks anyway in my experience.
Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep i'm in WA i forgot to ask the dealer if they were stainless, the discoloration does'nt worry me its just how deep does that corrosion go, and will it weaken them much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not to hijack the post, but I recently took my 2017 in to get the spokes replaced for corrosion. Apparently I am getting declined on the basis that it is a cosmetic issue and that is only covered for 45 days!
Has anyone else had this issue come up? I guess I am going to pick my bike up tomorrow and call Honda directly to see what I can figure out.
Any help would be great.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not to hijack the post, but I recently took my 2017 in to get the spokes replaced for corrosion. Apparently I am getting declined on the basis that it is a cosmetic issue and that is only covered for 45 days!
Has anyone else had this issue come up? I guess I am going to pick my bike up tomorrow and call Honda directly to see what I can figure out.
Any help would be great.
You have been fobbed off. Try a different dealer or Honda directly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any help would be great.
no problems with mine they took photos and two weeks later it was approved,try another dealer

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I read somewhere on here that your first replacement wheels will be the supposedly double plated spokes. If that set goes rotten only then will you get the stainless spokes. (They must have a lot of plain steel spoked wheels to use up )
Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
no problems with mine they took photos and two weeks later it was approved,try another dealer
Yeah I picked my bike up today, they did not seem very intersted in helping me any further. I have taken some pictures and will be getting in touch with Honda directly to see what I can figure out.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Just check my 2018 ATAS, the spokes are not magnetic, but the nipples are.
Yes I think they probably have to use plain steel nipples for their ductility, but 3 dissimilar metals (the hub is alloy) all coming together at one point sounds like a recipe for corrosion
Mike

·
Registered
112 Posts
Rusty Spokes Revisited

I read somewhere on here that your first replacement wheels will be the supposedly double plated spokes. If that set goes rotten only then will you get the stainless spokes. (They must have a lot of plain steel spoked wheels to use up )
Mike
Picked my bike up Friday new wheels with st/st spokes fitted , this is the 3rd set fingers crossed corrosion issue solved
Sorry to keep flogging a dead horse but....:frown2:

Took my bike to the dealer yesterday and a warranty claim will be submitted. I questioned the rationale in replacing 'like for like', because the replacements would almost certainly corrode as have the originals and was told that the replacements would have improved plating.

Reading through the numerous threads on this issue it seems that spoke warranty claims are being resolved differently. Some members have reported getting complete wheel assemblies with SS spokes fitted as a fix while others have reported that their original rims were re-spoked with plated spokes.

I suspect that this is down to where on this big blue marble we reside. Australian consumers, IMHO, don't have much clout when dealing with big players like Honda.

I would like to be proved wrong but I suspect I will have to put up with the inconvenience of losing the bike while the spokes are replaced only to have them corrode again in the future. My 2 year warranty expires in December so after that I doubt I will have any further redress on this issue. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Isn't there some kind of epoxy paint or whatever which we can use to seal these spokes. I read about the Cosmoline but my spokes are in good shape and I'd like to paint them to keep them that way.

This hassle is a waste of money and time that shouldn't be necessary for such an expensive motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Sorry to keep flogging a dead horse but....:frown2:

Took my bike to the dealer yesterday and a warranty claim will be submitted. I questioned the rationale in replacing 'like for like', because the replacements would almost certainly corrode as have the originals and was told that the replacements would have improved plating.

Reading through the numerous threads on this issue it seems that spoke warranty claims are being resolved differently. Some members have reported getting complete wheel assemblies with SS spokes fitted as a fix while others have reported that their original rims were re-spoked with plated spokes.

I suspect that this is down to where on this big blue marble we reside. Australian consumers, IMHO, don't have much clout when dealing with big players like Honda.

I would like to be proved wrong but I suspect I will have to put up with the inconvenience of losing the bike while the spokes are replaced only to have them corrode again in the future. My 2 year warranty expires in December so after that I doubt I will have any further redress on this issue. Am I wrong?
I think the worldwide policy from Honda has been consistent for some time now. Originally I think they tried respoking but that must have been a hugely expensive nightmare. They said that's what they were going to do with mine about a year ago but when they came back they had replaced the entire wheels with the supposedly double plated spokes (FWIW I don't believe the replacements were any different from the first set). The second set were pretty bad after just 3 weeks so you may still have time to register another claim, when you will I'm sure get stainless. (Go ride near the sea )
Mike

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think the worldwide policy from Honda has been consistent for some time now. Originally I think they tried respoking but that must have been a hugely expensive nightmare. They said that's what they were going to do with mine about a year ago but when they came back they had replaced the entire wheels with the supposedly double plated spokes (FWIW I don't believe the replacements were any different from the first set). The second set were pretty bad after just 3 weeks so you may still have time to register another claim, when you will I'm sure get stainless. (Go ride near the sea )
Mike
Thanks for the advice Mike.

What you say makes sense. Why would Honda fix the problem properly first time which costs money when they know that the majority of owners will eventually either give up and go away, sell the bike or their warranty will expire.

I don't hold with band-aid solutions and the service manager at my local dealer agreed with my comment that we shouldn't have to apply any sort of rust preventative to the spoke to prevent a recurrence.

I work near the ocean and was somewhat surprised the spokes held up for so long considering the experiences of others. I guess thats down to living in a relatively dry climate and riding on unsalted roads in Winter.

I'll report back when I hear more about my claim.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mike
Well after contacting my dealer today I was told my claim was still with Honda but they had ordered replacement spokes in anticipation of it being approved. Apparently though, they are in short supply so are still on order.

I questioned why they were going to the trouble of re spoking my rims rather than replacing them and they claimed to have resolved lots of claims this way and hadn't replaced any wheel assemblies.

I asked what the warranty on the replacement spokes was and was told that it would be as long as the bikes original warranty applied, which in my case is about 2 months remaining. In fact, by the time the spokes arrive my bike may well be out of warranty.

I suggested that in that case, when the replacements corroded, which on the experience of others seems inevitable, I would have no further redress to get the issue fixed properly. The response was interesting in so much as the service manager said that i would still have redress under Australia's consumer laws.

Does this sound like "if and when the replacement spokes corrode - go sort it out yourself with Honda Australia"?

Has anyone in Oz had the spoke issue resolved to their satisfaction or had wheels with stainless spokes fitted as warranty replacements?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts