Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or does anyone else just love the S1 mode. When I first got the bike it was set on S2 and so not realizing there were 3 sport modes on the DCT 2018 ATAS. I was thinking if there was only something between the sport and Drive mode it would be perfect. That's when I discovered I could change the default S2 mode to S1 and I found my perfect setting. Drive mode just seems clunky and weird. Anyone experience this perfect DCT setting? And what do you prefer: Tour, urban, gravel, or do you set your own in User mode for everyday driving?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is it just me, or does anyone else just love the S1 mode. When I first got the bike it was set on S2 and so not realizing there were 3 sport modes on the DCT 2018 ATAS. I was thinking if there was only something between the sport and Drive mode it would be perfect. That's when I discovered I could change the default S2 mode to S1 and I found my perfect setting. Drive mode just seems clunky and weird. Anyone experience this perfect DCT setting? And what do you prefer: Tour, urban, gravel, or do you set your own in User mode for everyday driving?

Normally S1 but I find it clunky in slow traffic so I select manual to hold the required gear; if the speed limit is 40- 50 mph then I select D from S1 once up to speed just to make it go into 6th earlier and save a drop of fuel.
I sometimes think the shifter button should be on the left side so i don't have come of the throttle to make changes!?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I use either S1 on either Gravel (softer fuelling and smoother) or Tour (full beans mode), or Manual mode in either Gravel or Tour. The reason the Manual/Auto button is on the throttle side is because you have to release the throttle momentarily for the computer to activate the choosen setting, same with the Traction Control.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The reason the Manual/Auto button is on the throttle side is because you have to release the throttle momentarily for the computer to activate the chosen setting, same with the Traction Control.

I was referring to the N/D/S selector might be better on the left side? I sometime use my left hand to make selection if i don't want to come of the power seems to work?

·
Registered
31 Posts
S1 is my default, basically the only mode I use anymore, although I sometimes override up or down depending on the road and how I'm riding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ride in S3 almost all the time. The way it shifts in S3 is how I would normally shift a motorcycle transmission with the RPMs in the 4K range. I never use "D" as it feels to me that the engine is lugging and how much gas could it possible save.

Reactions: MarkBK and SurfsUp

·
Registered
409 Posts
I ride in S3 almost all the time. The way it shifts in S3 is how I would normally shift a motorcycle transmission with the RPMs in the 4K range. I never use "D" as it feels to me that the engine is lugging and how much gas could it possible save.
D mode is a great Motorway chugger, and your fuel consumption seems great too, but as you say prefer S2 for normal riding.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I only use S1. D is too lethargic and the slow-off-the-line drivers around here mean I'd be winding out in traffic before it shifts in any more aggressive mode. If you grab big throttle, it holds rpm well enough anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I set the user mode to P1 EB3 T6 which is like Tour mode but engine braking at lowest (least engine braking) level. For shifting I like S1 mostly. I like drive mode for highways and long distances...when I’m going somewhere. Sport modes when I get there!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Im a fan of S2 mode,S3 is just for going loopy lol,they really hang on to the gears for as long as possible in that mode.

:grin2:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I ride in the user mode P1 EB 2. T1 and put the trans in manual or S3
I haven't played with the user modes enough to really notice a difference. I think I am just using Urban by default. No complaints with it but I guess I should give all the different User Modes a try and then see if I need to even customize.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Think the best thing here is that Honda gave us all these different options for different circumstances. My favorite setting depends on where I am. Use them all!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I use D 0% of the time and S1 95+% of the time.
I find in S1 the DCT mostly works as I want it, but when I crank the throttle to overtake and it changes down to 4th, once passed it will hold it in 4th until it ascertains that the enthusiasm is over for now. So I crank the throttle, the bike goes down to 4th, I pass the slow car rather quickly, then I finger the up-shifter to return to 6th gear.

S3 is fun on a big section of twisties where you really want to have fun, fuel economy be damned!

Manual can be useful when you don't want the bike to change gear until you tell it to.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I mainly commute in heavy motorway traffic on my 2016 - so D is sooo relaxing. Then if I go off for a couple of hours somewhere then tootling around in D is soooo relaxing. If you need to thrash past a car or go fast round corners yeah baby drop 2 gears by thumbshifting like on a mountain bike shimano shifter, and if someone is giving you grief at the traffic lights yes just do big throttle and sometimes even the front wheel lifts - so D is fine for me. Just tootling along ...

·
Registered
222 Posts
S3 80% of the time, manual and left hand shifting the other 20%. D mode and trying to eek an extra 2mpg should be banned on a motorcycle....IMHO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts