Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
CRF1000L | Gold Wing DCT
294 Posts
Dropped a front tooth when I hit the Rockies. I run stock gearing otherwise.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
I however, would maybe think of going the other way. I do a fair amount of higher speed county and highway roads. I'm often at speeds of around 65 to 70 mph. I don't like spinning that A/T motor at 4,000 at 65-70. I'd really like to gear it UP for reduced freeway/highway RPMs. But, I'm a bit leery of maybe confusing the engine ECM if it's been tuned and programmed for a given ratio of sprockets.
Scott

·
Registered
48 Posts
I however, would maybe think of going the other way. I do a fair amount of higher speed county and highway roads. I'm often at speeds of around 65 to 70 mph. I don't like spinning that A/T motor at 4,000 at 65-70. I'd really like to gear it UP for reduced freeway/highway RPMs. But, I'm a bit leery of maybe confusing the engine ECM if it's been tuned and programmed for a given ratio of sprockets.
Scott
Are the CRF1000s that different than the 1100s? At 65mph, I'm still in 4th gear and under 4K RPM. I'm thinking of dropping a tooth in the front because I always seem to be between gears. For instance, I don't shift to 2nd until about 27 or 28mph.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Scott
I presume you have the DCT version, otherwise you would not bother; right?

I do not know the technicalities of the system and whether it does do a rpm to speed comparison to operate. If this would be the case though, you can work it around with the Healteck speedohealer or similar product to correct the speedo error introduced by the gearing change.

BTW I had been doing reduction on my Varaderos, dropping 1 tooth on the front sprocket. I found that bike to have rather negligible gains at the expense of highway consumption, top speed and engine noise. I never did the opposite because I do not think the Varadero (or the CRF1000) have enough torque to tolerate 2-up, full luggage with longer gearing. If you do it, please share your observations. I also do a lot of highway travels but also tight b-roads.

·
Super Moderator
6,780 Posts
Freeway running the CRF1000 all day between 4 and 4K5 RPM seems normal for the bike. Passing at higher rates is a non-issue. I haven't given it further thought.

·
Registered
2017 Africa Twin
69 Posts
Bombing the back roads hitting the curves in 65-80 mph 4th and 5th gear 5-6 thousand rpms all day. If the engine can’t take it, then I’m on the wrong bike.

I trust Honda. I don’t think the 4,000 RPMS you are worried about is taxing the engine. It’s probably better than lugging it all the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts