Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to remove the front sprocket cover to clean out the mess. Easy to do , two bolts and remove the gear linkage. So some tips:
Firstly its really worthwhile doing this . Even after only 1800 miles so much greasy crud was in there. Small road chippings were in there as well. Secondly when you remove the gear linkage (one bolt on the gear pedal and the pinch bolt on the gearbox input shaft) you will see how little grease is in the pedal pivot from the factory, so clean out and add plenty.

The pinch bolt needs to be removed completely to allow the link to slide off the gearbox spline. When assembling ensure the pop mark on the shaft lines up with the split in the clamp. Finally the gear pedal has two oil seals to prevent water entering the pivot. These seals should each have their lip facing out over, so the inner one has the lip facing the bike and the outer one has the lip facing you. Hope this is useful.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks BigKev,

Read you post this morning and did the same job.
You are right - there are so many muck traps in there the mess was just like course grinding past.
OK I have done 6000 miles so it's going to be messy.

I will do this job on a regular basis from now on.

Z

1 - 2 of 2 Posts