Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I want to make the bike have shorter gearing. Right now 2nd will go above 60 and I have really no reason to ever shift into 6th without breaking a federal law. I would like 1st 2nd and 3rd especially to be more usable at slow speed for technical riding. Does anyone have experience or recommendations on what kind of gearing i should look into? Change the front, the back, or both? I googled some stuff but I would love to hear firsthand from someone who has done it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well usually the easiest and cheapest way is to go down 1 tooth on the counter sprocket if it is available anywhere.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Easiest as mentioned is to go down a tooth on front, won't (shouldn't ) need to change the chain then. They are available, there was a post on the AT thread on adv rider which gave the part number. JT sprockets do it but I can't remember the comparative Honda model.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Will a 45t rear sprocket fit with the OEM chain?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 45t rear on mine with OEM chain fitted, granted it has 17,000 miles on it and has probably stretched but it went on no problem:wink2:
I had under 1000 miles when I went with a 44, and there was no way a 45 was going to make it for me...SC

·
Registered
166 Posts
Bummer, looks like I'll be buying another chain to fit a 45t. That is unless I convince myself to just go with a 15t up front.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sprocketcenter.com has a 5% holiday discount going now. Oh, and free shipping in the US.

·
Registered
166 Posts
45t sprocket and chain arrived today! Five days enroute.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts