Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody changed out their sprockets to improve top end speed? I was thinking about doing that because 80% of my riding is on pavement, and the motorcycle RPM's are above 4,000 at 70mph. It seems to be kind of high RPM's, so maybe the sprockets would help lower the RPM's and get a little better MPG's. I was thinking of just changing the size by one tooth, but I don't want it to mess with the off-road capability too much. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Has anybody changed out their sprockets to improve top end speed? I was thinking about doing that because 80% of my riding is on pavement, and the motorcycle RPM's are above 4,000 at 70mph. It seems to be kind of high RPM's, so maybe the sprockets would help lower the RPM's and get a little better MPG's. I was thinking of just changing the size by one tooth, but I don't want it to mess with the off-road capability too much. Thanks.
I went the other way, more acceleration with a smaller CS sprocket, much better as I don't need to go more than 100mph. Sometimes a motor doesn't have enough power to reach the geared top speed as well.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've been thinking of going up one tooth on the front sprocket. It'll help touring rpm and as it equates to about 8/9% of a rpm difference, it should actually help bring my speedo much nearer to being accurate as it's out by on average 10%.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you are touring on pavement, you will absolutely benefit from this... The AT has more motor than gear in its stock form, so there is plenty of room to play with.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been thinking of going up one tooth on the front sprocket. It'll help touring rpm and as it equates to about 8/9% of a rpm difference, it should actually help bring my speedo much nearer to being accurate as it's out by on average 10%.
With one tooth less on the front, the speedo is more like 20% over

·
Registered
119 Posts
So the Speedo is connected to the engine rsther than the wheels? I'm new to the AT, but all my previous bikes have had the Speedo on the front wheel

·
Registered
119 Posts
So the Speedo is connected to the engine rsther than the wheels? I'm new to the AT, but all my previous bikes have had the Speedo on the front wheel
OLd tech nowadays. Most bikes run off a sensor at the drive sprocket.
This is my first bike that isn't carbeurated, so I'm not used to all this fancy schmancy electronics lol. That's nice though. The front hub Speedo is usually a bit of a pain for installation.

So can you adjust the sensor to compensate for changing sprockets?

·
Registered
212 Posts
This is my first bike that isn't carbeurated, so I'm not used to all this fancy schmancy electronics lol. That's nice though. The front hub Speedo is usually a bit of a pain for installation.

So can you adjust the sensor to compensate for changing sprockets?

The AT speedo pickup sensor is located on top of the gearbox and reads pulses from a countershaft gear so any sprocket tooth change will change calibration. The factory speedo is not adjustable. It will require an aftermarket calibration box, like a SpeedoHealer, which install between the speed sensor and the ECM. Good luck getting to the connector:|

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all great talk. I purchase a sweet used AT manual shift. It came with some crazy aggressive off-road gears. 15/44. And let me say after 5000 miles of dirt and road I went to 16/44 and like it for long road with dirt involved. But its sweet can change sprocket on the trail in 8 mins. So consider 2 teeth on the back and 1 up or down front gives incredible range for the 1 tooth front on off set-up. When 15/44 the bike is very good off-road. With 16/44 very smooth on highway. I don't need to break chain to swap ether. So the previous owner was very smart. Thanks all good luck and come ride the Oregon Outback with me. Glad to show anyone this wonderful place to ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts