Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having replaced rear spring with Heavy Duty one, lowering link iam thinking of going up a tooth on front to 17 teeth for longer lower gears.Has anyone tried this on DCT.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Having replaced rear spring with Heavy Duty one, lowering link iam thinking of going up a tooth on front to 17 teeth for longer lower gears.Has anyone tried this on DCT.
Im just doing the opposite & fitting a 15 tooth front sprocket to make it a bit more responsive, 6th gear is already in overdrive, I mite be wrong but I expect a 17 tooth front sprocket to kill the rideability of the engine & make it lug to much & speed up 1st gear to make low speed maneuvers more difficult

·
Registered
423 Posts
Actually I think that on DCT even the 5th is overdrive (nominally). The reduction according to the manual is 0.972 for the 5th and 0.882 for the 6th (1.1 and 0.968 for the manual gearbox).

·
Registered
509 Posts
The primary reduction and internal ratios are different between the two designs. You have to multiply everything together to get the effective final.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The primary reduction and internal ratios are different between the two designs. You have to multiply everything together to get the effective final.

Exactly. The primary reduction in the DCT is 1.883 while in the manual slightly longer at 1.733. I had created a spreadsheet with the exact ratio differences between the DCT and manual when I was looking to buy, looking at it again I see that the 1st is 3% longer in the DCT, the 2nd 1.3% shorter, the 3rd and 4th exactly the same, the 5th 4% longer and the 6th 1% longer.

Bear in mind that a tooth more/less in the front results in 6.2% ratio difference.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Im just doing the opposite & fitting a 15 tooth front sprocket to make it a bit more responsive, 6th gear is already in overdrive, I mite be wrong but I expect a 17 tooth front sprocket to kill the rideability of the engine & make it lug to much & speed up 1st gear to make low speed maneuvers more difficult

Fully agree to this, I own a manual and find the 42/16 final reduction a bit long (and, as I wrote above, the DCT is even longer in some gears). I found the 1st and 6th gears long, which is why I am running 43/16 for the last 15000 miles and I would even run 44/16 had I had installed a speedo healer (something in my todo list), especially for the 1st gear off road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts