Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
191 Posts
Why on Earth would you want to reuse a filter that is designed to remove metal shavings from your engine? For the cost of that filter I could have roughly 12 oil filters that I know are clean and ready to go. That's 48,000 miles.

Also, the description says it is better than paper filters- when was the last time anyone saw a paper filter in an oil filter? Unless there is something deep inside them that I don't know about, I am pretty sure filters are metal baffles.

Am I missing something? Is this actually a legit product or is it just an ADV bike bling tax item?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why on Earth would you want to reuse a filter that is designed to remove metal shavings from your engine? For the cost of that filter I could have roughly 12 oil filters that I know are clean and ready to go. That's 48,000 miles.

Also, the description says it is better than paper filters- when was the last time anyone saw a paper filter in an oil filter? Unless there is something deep inside them that I don't know about, I am pretty sure filters are metal baffles.

Am I missing something? Is this actually a legit product or is it just an ADV bike bling tax item?

I was kinda wondering how well they even work, but they do have washable air filters too. So I guess oil filters aren’t far off... So who knows, but they are pretty expensive for a chunk of metal..

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No kidding, but it looks really cool and I still want it.

ROFL ohhhhh a shiny thing, give me the bling.... the funny thing is, the tote it as saving you $$$$... hmmmmm, yea I guess after around 5 years and 12 paper filters it will start saving you $$$$$, well if you don’t factor in the time it takes to clean it, the degreaser you need to clean it with, and not to mention the mess left over after you clean it and the cleaning supplies to clean that mess up...

But I do agree it does look cool and I want one too..

·
Registered
154 Posts
Majority of the spin on oil filters do have paper pleated filters inside.

·
Registered
2017 DCT
342 Posts
Sometimes it is interesting to take an exhaust pipe cutter and open up a used oil filter for inspection... I have found Phram car filters turned into a ball of paper mache' in the past. Generally the OEM filters held up ok, especially Honda and Toyota branded ones. Nothing special, but no problems.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Sometimes it is interesting to take an exhaust pipe cutter and open up a used oil filter for inspection... I have found Phram car filters turned into a ball of paper mache' in the past. Generally the OEM filters held up ok, especially Honda and Toyota branded ones. Nothing special, but no problems.
Yea there’s a couple of videos on YouTube where they cut them open and stretch out the filter elements. Tho I’m not really getting that. They are going under the assumption that MORE filter element means better cleaning, well yes I get the more surface area point, but that alone does NOT relate to BETTER cleaning, just to less clogging. If you change the filter at the allotted time that is not a big issue, more importantly is the media permeability and down to what size microns dose it filter. There are, of course, minimum industry standards. I’d be more interested in just how they meet or if they exceed those standards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts