Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 2,000 miles on the new crf1100. From the get go the bike has had intermittent stalls. This first happened when I gave the bike a quick blip of the throttle on a down shift rev match with the clutch in. I thought it must have been an error on my part even being a very experienced rider. Then it happened again a few days later in the same situation. The other day I was able to get it to happen about 5 times when sitting in neutral. A quick crack of the throttle from idle and it stalls. Doesn’t happen all the time but i have been able to replicate it on a somewhat regular basis. And was able to catch it on video. Brought it into the dealer and 2 techs people were able to recreate this as well. They are at a loss and got Honda involved. Honda said they have not seen this issue and would need to come out and look at it. I had to pick the bike up for a trip last weekend before they could dig into it further. I will be dropping the bike off next Thursday to hopefully get it figured out. Very very disappointed that I’m already having an issue like this out of the box as I love the bike otherwise. I will update you guys when I know more. Just wanted to throw it out as a buyer be ware and see if you had any ideas in the mean time?! I can’t seem to upload a video here. If interested get in touch with me and I can sent it over

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Sorry to read about this Jon. Try uploading video to YouTube and share the link here?

Hopefully you will get the correct attention from Honda and learn about the root cause.

Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have about 2,000 miles on the new crf1100. From the get go the bike has had intermittent stalls. This first happened when I gave the bike a quick blip of the throttle on a down shift rev match with the clutch in. I thought it must have been an error on my part even being a very experienced rider. Then it happened again a few days later in the same situation. The other day I was able to get it to happen about 5 times when sitting in neutral. A quick crack of the throttle from idle and it stalls. Doesn’t happen all the time but i have been able to replicate it on a somewhat regular basis. And was able to catch it on video. Brought it into the dealer and 2 techs people were able to recreate this as well. They are at a loss and got Honda involved. Honda said they have not seen this issue and would need to come out and look at it. I had to pick the bike up for a trip last weekend before they could dig into it further. I will be dropping the bike off next Thursday to hopefully get it figured out. Very very disappointed that I’m already having an issue like this out of the box as I love the bike otherwise. I will update you guys when I know more. Just wanted to throw it out as a buyer be ware and see if you had any ideas in the mean time?! I can’t seem to upload a video here. If interested get in touch with me and I can sent it over

Thank you and good idea. Here is the link.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine does the same thing. 900 miles on the clock. It usually happens when im downshifting and doing rev matching. Then if I blip it for first and pull the clutch in to stop it will stall. I imagine that there will be an update to the computer to correct this once it's wide spread enough.

Reach out to Honda as I have. That way they can start logging complaints to further a revision and eventual fix. These types of problems are common in the automotive industry and with enough data and customer complaints, they will act.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I doubt it - a recall. It's a common issue. At idle blip the throttle - cough in the airbox and engine stall.
My 2017 has been doing it since new, randomly, whether hot or cold. Usually happens at intersections as the light turns green - blip to increase engine speed before engaging clutch and riding away. Get a cough and die.
From many forum threads here and on ADV rider others experience it too.
Dealers may make a note on service record but Honda has done nothing.
Same for the lame heated grips - nothing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I doubt it - a recall. It's a common issue. At idle blip the throttle - cough in the airbox and engine stall.
My 2017 has been doing it since new, randomly, whether hot or cold. Usually happens at intersections as the light turns green - blip to increase engine speed before engaging clutch and riding away. Get a cough and die.
I have found my grips to be fine. When using them I turn them on high and then reduce the setting as they get too warm. None of my previous bikes had heated grips so my baseline reference is a complete lack of heat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Consider how/where you ride and how big of an issue the stalling could be...if it might put you in danger then you should really press your dealer to find a fix. Consider how much time you are spending riding the bike versus having it in the shop. Stalling is expected on older bikes, but not on a brand new bike.

I had a new Super Tenere (which I absolutely loved) that had a similar stalling issue when taking off from a stop, but mine would also stall while moving and when I pulled in the clutch. Nothing consistent about it and hard to replicate, which made it more of an issue. I live in California and split lanes, so this issue had put me in bad spots many times. It was way more a safety issue than an annoyance. I gave the dealership 3 chances to fix, then asked for a replacement. I bought a go pro and got in on video several times, and had to get a lemon law lawyer. The process took about 8 months :(

I think I'm not allowed to say what the outcome was as part of the settlement....but I can say that I quickly moved on to a BMW and now a 2020 Africa Twin. I love my Africa Twin and it will be very unlikely that I ever own another Yamaha again after dealing with them on this issue.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My opinion as well. Since 2016, the only AT related recall coming out of Honda was a "Cir-clip" for the OE centerstand- an accessory item!
The stalling was common for DCT owners as well- "you cannot stall a DCT" statement is not true.
None of the more prevalent issues reported by owners on AT forums have been answered by Honda.
  • badly designed tail rack
  • weak windshield bracket
  • weak footpeg bracket
  • poor tank welds

·
Registered
431 Posts
Camel ADV saw the opportunity. Camel Toe side stand, screen brace and footage support.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is not a 1100 problem.
My 1000, 2019 also does it sometimes. Nothing too serious, generally is just a backfire from the air box and not really a stall.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My dealer has reset the ecu already and it did nothing.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts