Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a week away in Scotland with the standard boxes on they are crap my gear was soaked, I got the touring pack when I bought the bike I've found the touring screen rubbish and the boxes rubbish, I'm thinking what a waste of money,

I want to use the Ali boxes, what are people fitting

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am happy with my touring screen , cannot comment on the honda paniers as i don't have them .
Bumot paniers are good .

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Bumot Defender System looks the ticket. Add an optional lockable 4ltr tool box (mounts to the rear of the bike on the opposite side of the exhaust) and you'll be good to go.

You can see the tool box in the picture below.

More info at:
https://www.advmotorrad.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=615

Toolbox is great but god the Bumot's are ugly. Lack of engineering knowledge (or just making them cheaper to make) as well, instead of using thinner/lighter material with a stronger design they have just use a slab of thicker metal. Get a bead roller Bumot. "Beads are embossed lines that run across the surface of the sheet. These are made using a bead roller. These indentations add strength perpendicular to the bead." You will give the boxes some aesthetics and make them lighter. (I know the aesthetics is subjective).

·
Registered
479 Posts
On reflection I am being a bit harsh on Bumot, was having a bad day, ignore me!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Surely the solution for leaky panniers (anyone's not just Honda) is to use ultrasil dry bags inside. These take up hardly any room if compared to the purpose made inner bags, they compress down to the size of a matchbox, and the one I have is a 40 litre duffle bag. I also have a 20 litre 'rucksack' and two or three smaller rolltop bags. All made of ripstop stuff with taped seams
Mike

·
Registered
884 Posts
Nope, you were right, they are ugly. :wink2:

I like the looks of the SW Motech adventure panniers and have crashed on the lighter duty ones (EVO) with nary a mark, but leak past the seals.

The others are pretty utilitarian looking: Jesse, Bumot, etc.

On reflection I am being a bit harsh on Bumot, was having a bad day, ignore me!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just love the fitting system on the honda pannies rather than erect scaffolding for other brands.
Having said that I don't have a set yet and the leaking sounds bad!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I tried the panniers Under the rain and honestly didn't see any water Inside, but of course it wasn't a scottish
downpour, unfortunately it hasn't rained here since and couldn't test them further... talk about no luck ahah !

I don't have experience at all with other boxes, but anyway to me the idea is having something conveniant,
without ugly scaffolding, same key so you know that when you ride you obviously locked the boxes and
I'll be putting things that need to be dry, in waterproof bags because that's the only way to make sure it will
stay that way.
Because if you have to open any panniers or boxes, while under the rain outside to take something out, the
rain will still get inside so for camping anyway, it will happen one day or another.

Also I got the whole set for 650CHF which is so much cheaper than SW motech or Givi, so i'd relativize
and say that the most important is keeping stuff locked without being crazy expensive, because waterproof
bags are cheaper and allow you to compartmentalize your belongings too !

·
Registered
148 Posts
If someone is interested, I could sell a whole set of three Honda cases including top case base plate. Unused from the demo bike I bought on October. 950 EUR incl. delivery to continental EU. Paypal payment possible.

Lock cylinders will be uninstalled for recoding before delivery.

Lähetetty minun SM-G930F laitteesta Tapatalkilla

·
Registered
86 Posts
My suggestion would be to sell your hard panniers (before they get scratched or damaged) and use the money to buy a soft pair of panniers with a few inexpensive waterproof dry bags (you could also use the extra cash for some other gear).

Watch the video (not totally believable), but it makes a good point (the original version is quite funny)!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My take on the Honda boxes. I bought my bike on the first day it came to Australia. I had a 50th to get to, 2000km away. There was no choice but to buy the standard boxes. They cost $au1300. At home I noticed a rubber grommet, from the mounting arm, had come loose. On my trip 2 fell out at a motel. Without these rubbers the boxes rattle and fall off. I bought some ducktape for a bodge fix.

I scoured the interwebz to find 5 others with this problem. I like having a frameless bike. Maybe the 2017 models are sorted. Given the choice I'd go for Bumont.

T_b.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
My take on the Honda boxes. I bought my bike on the first day it came to Australia. I had a 50th to get to, 2000km away. There was no choice but to buy the standard boxes. They cost $au1300. At home I noticed a rubber grommet, from the mounting arm, had come loose. On my trip 2 fell out at a motel. Without these rubbers the boxes rattle and fall off. I bought some ducktape for a bodge fix.

I scoured the interwebz to find 5 others with this problem. I like having a frameless bike. Maybe the 2017 models are sorted. Given the choice I'd go for Bumont.

T_b.
Whoa - this sounds worrying. Any other reports of this happening?
Mike

·
Registered
479 Posts
Whoa - this sounds worrying. Any other reports of this happening?
Mike
Yes, quite common, not a huge deal, 08L04-MGH-640 is a single replacement rubber, very cheap.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I opted for the Honda paniers before I read all the negative stuff about them. After using them for a few weeks, including just getting back from a 2 day, 1200km loop, I'm happy with their compromise. Yes, they are a bit on the flimsy side, but they are light. Yes, they may leak (haven't ridden in a downpour) but the touratech panier drybags I ordered will take care of that. One thing I really love about the Honda units is the ability to easily add or remove them from the bike and not be left with ugly scaffolding.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
I opted for the Honda paniers before I read all the negative stuff about them. After using them for a few weeks, including just getting back from a 2 day, 1200km loop, I'm happy with their compromise. Yes, they are a bit on the flimsy side, but they are light. Yes, they may leak (haven't ridden in a downpour) but the touratech panier drybags I ordered will take care of that. One thing I really love about the Honda units is the ability to easily add or remove them from the bike and not be left with ugly scaffolding.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Isn't there a way to use a mild-strength adhesive to keep the grommets in place?

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

·
Registered
792 Posts
I've the oe boxes and apart from one of the rubber pads falling out (which I found and reattached and been fine ever since), I'm happy with their performance. They've never leaked in the horrendous weather I've been unfortunate to ride in (good old British summer) and like others, I like the no scaffolding aesthetics. I've had them stuffed to the point of bursting and unlike my KTM 1190 Adv, I can sit on a autobahn at 120mph with no death weaves or tank slippers to worry about. I always stick my clothes into ikea bags which hopefully will keep them dry if they should leak.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts