Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening, has anyone had an issue with the starter clutch failing. I was riding to work yesterday morning when it felt like the brakes were coming on. when I rolled off the throttle the bike slowed down and engine and transmission made a terrible whining and loud noise. I pulled over and the bike cut out. I was recovered and when the dealer checked the bike they said that the starter clutch had failed the bike only has 400 miles on it. It may be simply a failure but wanted to let others know it happened and to see if it is a common issue. Thanks

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
It happened on my 2017 standard AT. It says a lot for Hondas starter motor as I didn’t discover it for about 3000 miles as I normally ride with earplugs in. With hindsight I realise it had been sticking ‘engaged’ all through my trip into Germany. One other symptom was that very often I didn’t have to press the starter button to get the bike going. The engine fired up as soon as I turned the key
Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike, my local dealer has been really good and sorting the problem but it’s another sign of poor quality from Honda. I have never had issues with previous models but the AT seems to be making up for it. A beautiful bike but hope Honda remember their reputation for build quality going forward or I may swap brands next time around.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update for you! Contacted today by Honda to inform me that it was not the starter clutch. On stripping down the engine it is catastrophic engine failure. The oil pump has failed and part broken off and torn through other bits? they said they haven’t seen this before and no warning lights shown on display. They have advised I don’t accept a repair and demand a new bike. 400 miles old, not a good advert☹

·
Registered
129 Posts
Update for you! Contacted today by Honda to inform me that it was not the starter clutch. On stripping down the engine it is catastrophic engine failure. The oil pump has failed and part broken off and torn through other bits? they said they haven’t seen this before and no warning lights shown on display. They have advised I don’t accept a repair and demand a new bike. 400 miles old, not a good advert☹
Ouch....not good. Honda definitely dropped the ball with this bike. Too many different issues for a "Quality Manufacturer"

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hopefully Honda will come to the party with at least a new engine, hopefully they dont take long to get you back on the road, make sure they give you a loan bike in the mean time. dont beat yourself up to much about buying a Honda, most of them are very reliable. Problems happen across all the best brands, 2 near new Toyota utes at work had complete rear brake failures, 1 lost a back wheel due to all the wheel studs shearing off, a Mitsubishi Triton had the complete engine & transmission replaced at 800klm's because they didn't torque up the flywheel bolts, BMW make bikes that try to kill you when the forks fall out & the wheels destroy themselves, I had an engine replaced under warranty on my Jeep wrangler when it bent a conrod & destroyed a piston from a faulty fuel injector, the list just keeps getting bigger

·
Registered
988 Posts
That's surprising. I guess your bike is that one in thousands that has a complete failure. Haven't heard of too many examples on many of Honda's bikes. Hopefully, they offer a speedy replacement for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, ive had Honda for the last 16 years and to be fair really good quality but the ATAS seems to be making up for lost ground.
i have said to Honda that i understand taking a load of new parts and putting together, there is a risk of a failure. it is how they sort the problem that is the important bit.
i have been told they can be slow to resolve but lets hope not, ive already become attached to the bike but i also had rust issues on the “stainless steel bars” and flaking paint on the frame. i think this may be the runt of the litter and have seen this in cars, that one in a thousand that should have been scraped at the start. thanks for the reply, it’s always good to chat to new people about a common interest.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I suspect this was a one-off failure due to a faulty oil pump and this is why it manifested itself very early in the bike's life i.e. at 400 miles. This kind of failure has not been heard in any other CRF1000, hope you get a brand new bike soon!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hi, ive had Honda for the last 16 years and to be fair really good quality but the ATAS seems to be making up for lost ground.
i have said to Honda that i understand taking a load of new parts and putting together, there is a risk of a failure. it is how they sort the problem that is the important bit.
i have been told they can be slow to resolve but lets hope not, ive already become attached to the bike but i also had rust issues on the “stainless steel bars” and flaking paint on the frame. i think this may be the runt of the litter and have seen this in cars, that one in a thousand that should have been scraped at the start. thanks for the reply, it’s always good to chat to new people about a common interest.
I would have to agree.

I've owned Hondas (motorcycles, equipments, vehicles, etc.) pretty much all my life, and all of my experiences with Honda has been nothing short of stellar till I purchased the AT.

It is very teeth-clenching of a disappointment to read about all these issues our fellow Padres are experiencing with their AT.

It's so uncharacteristic of Honda to allow this to happen. Yet, I cant help but feel like they've known about these issues before the launch date but there was no turning back...they had to release the AT. Otherwise, lose face but more importantly...money.

I don't know about you guys but this being my first adventure bike, this was the most I had EVA paid for a new motorcycle. So, obviously I had huge expectations. Just didn't expect it to be tons of flaws.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Are we sure that the problems still persist and have not been fixed (mostly) by Honda with the 2018 release? There's another forum which has a thread running about common issues and from what I can see (and I have asked) those same problems are not recurring in any numbers with the 2018 onwards models
The big ones IIRC were:
corroding spokes
Sticking switchgear
forkseals
faulty starter switch
heated grips
faulty main stand
rider footrest issues

all the above SEEM to have been addressed by Honda in that those issues do not occur in the forum these days with anything like the regularity of the first two years. And of course they generally have accepted all claims on the above under warranty. (it would also be interesting to know if they are fixing them for free outside the warranty period)

There are some common issues that they haven't fixed with the 2018 model:
crappy engine casings
misting instrument panels
poor paint finish on frame.

I am annoyed about the engine casings on my 2018 bike (my 2017 was just the same). I am putting up with the instrument misting if it happens - just like it did on all 3 of my NC750X's. And I can deal with the paint finish problem. (I put 24k miles on mine through 2 salty UK winters and there was rust on the downtube. Easily fixed with black hammerite and very little prep, and you can hardly tell. I will also fit a fenda extenda to the new bike which I am sure will help. I now know which seams on the rest of the bike will rust and I regularly either ACF50'd them, or touched them in with a close hammerite finish.
Just like most bike manufacturers Honda use poorly painted mild steel for minor brackets and hose banjos. A poster on the NC forum said he painted his with copperslip and rather surprisingly I found this worked brilliantly and stayed on even after several washes of the bike. I have since switched to a tube of grey Honda Molybdenum grease which when it 'dries' looks like a mid grey paint. It too seems to stay in place through a complete winter.

Finally - My mate's new Triumph Tiger 800 is fitted with stainless steel banjos (as is my Rocket3) so full marks to Triumph. But it has the same crappily painted mild steel bracket for various things. And most important of all, he has to work hard to keep removing rust from all the disks and associated stuff (like abs ring and disk bolts), whereas my 24k-mile AT was spotless and all I did was wash those areas every now and then.
Mike

·
Registered
465 Posts
Mike, are you sure it's been fixed in ALL 2018 models? Because I believe ATAS resolves a lot of those issues but the standard 2018 models are still experiencing some if not all of the issues. I could be wrong though. LOL

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Mike, are you sure it's been fixed in ALL 2018 models? Because I believe ATAS resolves a lot of those issues but the standard 2018 models are still experiencing some if not all of the issues. I could be wrong though. LOL
No I am not sure. Just my subjective feeling from reading the two dedicated forums. There might be more reports on ADV-rider but IIRC all posts about the AT are in one thread.
My gut feeling was that they sorted the main things on both models for the 2018 launch but then the Sport had a few issues of its own - such as rust on the rear rack
I think it appears that the standard model is still having problems because people with 16 and 17 bikes are only just discovering those issues (maybe they have bought second hand or they havent done many miles), but if they don't tell us that it's a pre-18 bike then we assume they are talking about an 18 or 19 standard bike. That doesn't happen with the Sport because it was only launched in 18 hopefully with the issues fixed.
Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Latest update is that 2 weeks have passed and I’m still waiting for Honda to authorise a replacement bike. The dealer has a replacement but they are still waiting for Honda HQ to authorise. They were meant to have been sorting today but call came through to say the manager dealing with isn’t in today? they have faithfully promised to phone dealer tomorrow. What the **** are Honda playing at??? I’m not quite sure what to do if they keep dragging their heels. At this rate I will be looking for a refund and buying something that’s not a Honda

·
Registered
200 Posts
Have you considered giving them a nudge via social media. No manufacturer wants negative publicity and in my experience a gentle nudge might sometimes help. I live a mile from the Bracknell Honda Head Office, if you send me a placard I will gladly stand outside the HQ and wave your message.

Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts