Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope somebody can possibly shed some light on this. 2016 Africa twin with 8000 miles still under warranty. Up until 7000 miles bike would start by simply pressing start button. Just recently I have noticed that it will start but as soon as you let go of the starter the darn thing quits. The soulotion to that was to hit start button with right hand and as soon as it started I would rev her up to about 4000rpm with left hand and then she would stay running after you let go of the starter. It does not do it all the time but seems to be getting worse.
Tonight it took me 20 friggin minutes to get her started. First it would not fire at all. Then after about 7 attempts it did fire up but would quit when you let the throttle of. Finally it started by revving her up to about 6000 rpm while still engaging the starter, then when I let go of the starter she quit but before the rpm dropped completely off she fired at about 2000rpm and ran fine after that.
Anyone had any similar problems. Any input would be appreciated.
P.S. Running 83 octane 10% ethanol and its a manual (has clutch):confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would try better gas also try some fuel cleaner
I've seen bikes not start or give out, think it was bad fuel because we put in some injection cleaner and after a few minutes the bike was running fine

·
Registered
9 Posts
check your battery as well. Maybe its low on voltage and Amps and not supplying the injectors with enough juice to squirt their juice into a cold engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same issue, took it to the dealer who told me Honda are aware and although not officially a recall on the starter switch anyone reporting the problem will have the starter switch replaced FOC. They did mine and problem seems to be resolved

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've had the starter switch replaced twice now, the second time was at about 12,000 miles. The symptoms are as per the OP. The new switch rectifies the problem for a time :-(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Called dealer today and they could not reproduce the issue (go figure). But anyhow they did call the Honda tech center and they did say that they were having a lot of issues with the switches, so they are replacing it.
Lets hope they fix the problem and more importantly man up and issue a recall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Useful information thank you - I have a 2016 with the same problem, the warranty runs out next April but the bikes stuck in Portugal. Does anyone know if a Honda dealership will rectify it out there?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hope somebody can possibly shed some light on this. 2016 Africa twin with 8000 miles still under warranty. Up until 7000 miles bike would start by simply pressing start button. Just recently I have noticed that it will start but as soon as you let go of the starter the darn thing quits. The soulotion to that was to hit start button with right hand and as soon as it started I would rev her up to about 4000rpm with left hand and then she would stay running after you let go of the starter. It does not do it all the time but seems to be getting worse.
Had the same issue with mine, particularly as the nights began to cool down.
I now turn on the ignition and once the start checks are complete I open the throttle fully and then close it. Hit the starter button and it fires up and keeps running. I can't think why this should be but it has worked without fail now for nearly 2 weeks.
I can understand that there may be a switch problem with some bikes but can't understand why a defective switch would allow the bike to crank and fire up but them stop after a second or so which is exactly what mine was doing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
has there been any updates on this? i have the same issue with mine now. It will stay running if I give it throttle while holding the starter button down. Otherwise it will die immediately upon letting off the button. I have 480 miles on this 2017.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this exact issue with my new (to me) 2018 ATAS after only a couple of (wet) days of getting it - it started but stopped when I let go of the switch unless I increased the revs for a minute or two. First it was once in a few times but seemed to get worse until it was every time.
I bought the bike from a dealer some distance away and was not keen on going straight to the local dealer as I've learnt in the past that they use the "let's keep changing things until we strike lucky" method of diagnostics.
After reading lots of threads on here and other forums I stripped the switch housing apart, cleaned the contacts with contact cleaner, tweaked them slightly with a jewellers screwdriver to ensure they made good contact and gave them a light coating of ACF50 to try and prevent the issue returning.
Started first time afterwards and has done so every time since - probably over 50 times so far.

·
Registered
283 Posts
There is an official recall for the start switch button issue. Just apply it.
Sometime opening the switch and spraying it with contact cleaner can help, but it's not the solution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a similar issue on my 2017 DCT, I initially sorted it be rocking the starter switch through all 3 selections half a dozen times with the ignition off.
I think it's dirty / corroded contacts in the switch gear. Works for a while then you need to repeat.

·
Registered
287 Posts
has there been any updates on this? i have the same issue with mine now. It will stay running if I give it throttle while holding the starter button down. Otherwise it will die immediately upon letting off the button. I have 480 miles on this 2017.
There is dirt in the switch cleaning it fixes the issue.
You can pull apart the right switch cluster (two screws) you will have to undo the front brake lever mounting bolts (two bolts) and move that out of the way first. with the switch cluster in two parts remove the small return spring now before it flys around the room. Then undo the start switch screws (two) that keep it in the housing, turn it over and give it a really good spray with brake clean while working the switch. Let it dry then give it a spray with CRC 226 (dielectric spray) or the like your problems will be solved. This is far better than a new switch from Honda and takes much less of your time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts