Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
"First customer to complain about it" Yeah, the Moon is made of cheese too......I bought my 2017 model AT in January ,on delivery day, the guy rolled it out of the van at my house, and went to start it in the road.... It started immediately as you would expect.... and stopped immediately too......He tried again, it started... and stopped again. He tried a third time, it started, and stopped.... By the fifth attempt I had alarm bells ringing having seen the identical issues demonstrated on You Tube for a 2016 bike, but I dismissed my fears as "newness"....- after all, the 2017 bikes had been sorted with a new switch? -hadn`t they?....new switch part number etc, etc...
As i live on a blind bend in the road,and the brand new bike was obviously reluctant to start, i became worried that one of the usual speeding goons that take the bend too fast outside my house would suddenly appear, to be confronted by a new- out -of- the- box but non-starting Honda in the middle of the road, and T-bone it and the delivery guy together, so I said to him "look mate, just push it onto the drive, we`re in the middle of the road here"- at this , he tried again, attempt no. 6, and Hallelujah!- it started and kept running, so he put it in gear and walked it up the drive.
They say first impressions count the most......
Stupidly- i paid for it.... denial i suppose, but with hindsight I should have said "take it back"- there is no way that this issue was not known of.
That night, my mate came round to see my shiny new bike, and we both stood there in the garage embarrassed as the thing continually refused to start, only after another 5-6 attempts did it keep running, and I began to wonder what I had just shelled out all that cash for....
The following day things were no better, and after 3 days-I STILL had not ridden it AT ALL-3 delivery miles on the clock, I gave up trying to start it after 8-9 attempts, and rung the dealer to tell them it was a duffer,and would they come and pick it up please.... Reply: "Er, sorry, no can do- will have to be recovered as a breakdown under Honda Warranty-l`ll give you the AA phone number for Roadside Recovery".... I argued it was no breakdown as the thing was brand new and never been ridden, but no chance... so next day it was trailered away back to the dealers for attention..... So much for my Honda New Bike Experience........
I accompanied my new bike back to the dealers,following in the car.At the dealers the Service Manager proudly showed me a new switch assembly that he had in for another customers bike.He said that he would order one for mine,adding that they were puzzled as to why my bike was duff as , being a 2017 model, it already had the "new" type switch straight from the factory... so MY PARTICULAR switch must be a faulty one...
After a week at the dealers, the bike was returned to me, and IT STARTED -WOW!- (a bit like my 1955 AJS 500 single does,first kick, every time, even after a 6 month winter lay up- and I have not looked at the electrics on that for some 15-18 years or so).
So away i have gone on my new Honda, which for the first 1000 miles has started OK 8 out of 10 times, but notably , does sometimes still display that start- and-immediately- stop trait enough to make me wonder.... and so I should too- I am now up to 1600 miles and the HOT starting issues have now crept in..... Same symptoms, but with engine hot, several attempts always needed,and only way to start it is to open the throttle a little (in direct contradiction of the handbook "Starting Procedure" which says "throttle closed")- only then will it start, and rather unnervingly then seems to take on a will of its own and rather alarmingly revs ITSELF up -sometimes twice- before returning to idle....so it looks like the dealer will be getting another call soon, and i will have to rely on my trusty 1955 AJS if i want transport........C`mon HONDA, have the guts and honesty to announce the required RECALL and sort this basic issue out properly! Bob C.

· Registered
33 Posts
Can someone with the problem try this procedure and let me know what happens.
turn key and kill switch to on so the headlight comes on and the fuel pump primes.
twist and hold throttle full open for 5 seconds
release throttle
press start and keep pressed a 1/4 second after engine fires.

My bike will take 6-10 attempts unless I do the above hokey pokey on first start when days are colder than 10 celsius.

· Registered
8 Posts
Honda just must come to the party and do a recall on the switch, I have done more than 11000km on mine and it is a great bike no problems it is only the switch from time to time. I only had it two or three times and cant replicate it for the stealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
220 Posts
So we have a theme with switches here; side stand, left and right clusters.
Seems Honda paid the lowest bidder for the switches and some of us are paying the price.
My trusty DL650 fires on the first crank every time even on hot days or after very prolonged storage.
I buy Japanese for the reliability, but I'm starting to worry here.
Maybe we need a forum category for known issues and polls to show Honda and dealers how many bikes are affected.

Over one week and one thousand kms my bike has quit running seconds after starting tree times; not an issue, but I still don't like it.

· Registered
178 Posts
Mine has been having the switch issue as well! :( I couldn't believe it was the kill switch at first until I removed it and cleaned the contacts... now it's been firing like a charm UNTIL today.... I don't want to have to clean this once a month. I hope they resolve this!

· Registered
8 Posts
ITS a known issue and replaced under warranty. But then, some dealers seem to lack any form of customer care or lack of knowledge and hide under a cloak of ignorance.

That is why I don't service my bike at Honda they look at me as if its my problem and I am the only one complain about it. I went toe my local Kawa dealer for my service, they also notice the problem and clean it for me I will replace it on later stage. Kawa gave me great service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1 Posts
Hard Starting Issue

Hey all, I took my 2016 manual AT in to the dealer for the hard starting issue. 1700 miles and was getting harder to start 40-55F weather. Throttle Position Sensor was the problem. The dealer told me this is what Honda told them to do. The fix is simple, turn the key on and wait for the

screen to display the CRF symbol and turn ignition off. Hold down the starter button and throttle open all the way open for 5 seconds and this resets the TPS. This has fixed my hard starting issue and no problems since then.

Thanks, Onetime39

· Registered
119 Posts
I had similar start issues and read somewhere a procedure like this one. It was slightly different but issue has not returned.

Turn key on, wait for CRF symbol and the bike to prime, then twist and hold the throttle open. Close the throttle off and then hit the start button. Fires up every time now.http://www.africatwinforum.com/foru...-discussion-forum/5449-starting-problems.html

Thanks for your info. I'll give it a try too. With my procedure I do it each time the engine is cold.

Cheers

Wadeo

· Registered
178 Posts
Mine has the same issue, and one way to tell if it is your kill switch acting up or not, is too turn the kill switch to the on position and listen for the fuel pump.... if you don't hear it then the switch is not making contact like it should. I just play with mine until I hear the fuel pump, then it will fire right up. I'm sending it into the shop to have the switch replaced before spring here! :)

41 - 60 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.