Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
September 2019 I had a sticking point in the throttle movement at 40,000 km, and now at 96,000 km I have the same symptom again. Last time, my moto was covered under the new warranty, but this time I think I'll have to pay for it. In another case, the high beam switch was recalled because it was a manufacturing defect, but in the case of this sticking problem, it seems to be treated as wear and tear. However, I wonder how a throttle sensor sticking after 40,000 km is a product defect, Honda?

Rim Automotive tire Bicycle part Crankset Jewellery

Reflex camera Digital camera Mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera Point-and-shoot camera Camera lens

Take out the magnet and look closely at the ⬆ part.

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Sports equipment Helmet

There are traces of rubbing, and the dimensions (within the width of the spring rod) match the actual amount of catching (1mm) when the throttle is opened slightly.

Hand Camera accessory Cameras & optics Finger Audio equipment

The light blue area is chamfered to prevent interference when opening the throttle, but not the one going back. If the root of the spring wire gets caught here, it can cause the throttle to not close all the way by a few tenths of a millimeter when returning the throttle. If the problem is minor, it will be felt as a snag, and if it gets worse, the throttle will not return and the moto will go into cruise control 😁 So I chamfered the part with the red arrow.

Past articles from the last time I had this problem
Electric throttle body maintenance 1

Electric throttle body maintenance 2

Electric throttle body maintenance 4

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,124 Posts
Wow!
Well that’s not good, did they replace the whole assembly last time ?

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow!
Well that’s not good, did they replace the whole assembly last time ?
Yes. Last time, I had all the throttles replaced with new ones.
After this repair was done, the dealer advised me to replace it because the warranty is available.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
706 Posts
It's pretty hard to beat cables and pulleys. There has been plenty of time to design in capability and design out bad characteristics. Looks like we're still climbing the robustness mountain with this design.

Reactions: TETSUHIRO

·
Super Moderator
6,767 Posts
It's pretty hard to beat cables and pulleys. There has been plenty of time to design in capability and design out bad characteristics. Looks like we're still climbing the robustness mountain with this design.
I'm a servo guy myself, but jeez, this technology has been around a long time. Where is the design getting "lazy"?

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the problem this time is the housing design of the sensor magnet.
The plastic is rubbing against the spring, causing it to wear and catch, so I think this is a different problem than whether the control should operate with a conventional pulley or a servo.
However, considering the durability, it seems that the life of the electrical components is not that long.:unsure:

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
706 Posts
I'm a servo guy myself, but jeez, this technology has been around a long time. Where is the design getting "lazy"?
It's all in the implementation...right? The failure rate is a function of the base sensors and servos and the installation. I wouldn't be surprised that the design will get better with time once the failure methodologies are better understood.

So it goes with all serious control designs.

·
Super Moderator
6,767 Posts
It's all in the implementation...right? The failure rate is a function of the base sensors and servos and the installation. I wouldn't be surprised that the design will get better with time once the failure methodologies are better understood.

So it goes with all serious control designs.
Industrial position encoders are much better protected these days than they used to be.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If this symptom gets worse, the moto will go into auto-cruise, so I repaired it myself this time while the symptoms were still mild. 😉

1 - 12 of 12 Posts