Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2018 ATAS – Manual.

I've heard about the false neutrals, but I haven’t had one of those yet.

What I do find is that sometimes when shifting up, giving the shifter the same force as normal—solid and firm—it stays in the lower gear, half-shifts. It happens most often from 4th to 5th. Once in awhile from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th and once, I think, from 5th to 6th.

It’s happened a good handful of times. Nearly once each time I'm out on the bike. I'm able to pull the clutch back in and shift again, and she goes in gear ok.

Anyone else find the shifter a bit sticky like that? At any point in time?

She’s got about 500 miles on her now. Maybe the shifter just needs working in a bit more? Maybe she needs a more forceful up-shift, generally? (I do think this is partially the case).

I think I also need to adjust the shifter location some. I have size 13 feet/boots and it might fit better for me if it were adjusted up about ½ inch at least.

Just wanted to see if anyone else experiences same with Africa Twin, esp. the Adv. Sports model.

Thanks, Gary

(FULL DISCLOSURE: the first day I brought her home, I was so excited and my wife was standing there distracting me, taking pics (I'm blaming her, ha! :smile2:) I pulled into driveway and I went to place the bike on the stand… without first placing the kickstand down! She had a FULL tank (and at that moment in time, I wasn’t prepared for the sheer weight of her—I am now) but I managed to catch her and let her come down real slow… but she did lay on that side for a minute while I freaked out and got her back up. Damage? Almost none. A nearly undetectable mark on handlebar protector but no evidence of anything anywhere else (bars, etc.) *except* the shifter and foot peg. The outside edge of the rubber cover on the shifter got torn and the foot peg got a tiny scratch on outside—you could tell both posts folded back as they are designed to do.
But afterwards, I looked it all over and the shifter appears to be in exactly the same place it was before. I even measured the distance/ clearance from the inside bottom of the shifter arm to the bolt that holds the back end of the skid plate there, and compared it to a brand new ATAS at the dealership a few days later… exactly the same clearance—about 1 ½ inches from arm to plate. (It appears it folded back as designed but rubbed on the concrete as I was picking her up). There is a little play in the shifter arm, but it seems natural and right. The linkage rod appears just fine.
Sorry for the long read, but I thought I’d add that to be as honest as possible. Serious dolt move, I know. If it had happened even the next day, not just minutes after first riding her, I’d have caught her, and she wouldn’t have dropped. But it was hour-one of ownership.

Thanks, Gary

·
Registered
127 Posts
2018 ATAS – Manual.

I've heard about the false neutrals, but I haven’t had one of those yet.

What I do find is that sometimes when shifting up, giving the shifter the same force as normal—solid and firm—it stays in the lower gear, half-shifts. It happens most often from 4th to 5th. Once in awhile from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th and once, I think, from 5th to 6th.

It’s happened a good handful of times. Nearly once each time I'm out on the bike. I'm able to pull the clutch back in and shift again, and she goes in gear ok.

Anyone else find the shifter a bit sticky like that? At any point in time?

She’s got about 500 miles on her now. Maybe the shifter just needs working in a bit more? Maybe she needs a more forceful up-shift, generally? (I do think this is partially the case).

I think I also need to adjust the shifter location some. I have size 13 feet/boots and it might fit better for me if it were adjusted up about ½ inch at least.

Just wanted to see if anyone else experiences same with Africa Twin, esp. the Adv. Sports model.

Thanks, Gary

(FULL DISCLOSURE: the first day I brought her home, I was so excited and my wife was standing there distracting me, taking pics (I'm blaming her, ha! :smile2:) I pulled into driveway and I went to place the bike on the stand… without first placing the kickstand down! She had a FULL tank (and at that moment in time, I wasn’t prepared for the sheer weight of her—I am now) but I managed to catch her and let her come down real slow… but she did lay on that side for a minute while I freaked out and got her back up. Damage? Almost none. A nearly undetectable mark on handlebar protector but no evidence of anything anywhere else (bars, etc.) *except* the shifter and foot peg. The outside edge of the rubber cover on the shifter got torn and the foot peg got a tiny scratch on outside—you could tell both posts folded back as they are designed to do.
But afterwards, I looked it all over and the shifter appears to be in exactly the same place it was before. I even measured the distance/ clearance from the inside bottom of the shifter arm to the bolt that holds the back end of the skid plate there, and compared it to a brand new ATAS at the dealership a few days later… exactly the same clearance—about 1 ½ inches from arm to plate. (It appears it folded back as designed but rubbed on the concrete as I was picking her up). There is a little play in the shifter arm, but it seems natural and right. The linkage rod appears just fine.
Sorry for the long read, but I thought I’d add that to be as honest as possible. Serious dolt move, I know. If it had happened even the next day, not just minutes after first riding her, I’d have caught her, and she wouldn’t have dropped. But it was hour-one of ownership.

Thanks, Gary
Get the shifter positioning dead right for your boot size, take shifter from shaft you will see oil seals either side of the bolt and a groove around the centre of the bolt, this should be packed full of grease, I had 1 missing and very little grease in the bolt recess, I also had terrible shifting issues ,lots of false neutrals jumping out of gear and gears locating by themselves after false neutrals , also a quickshifter fitted that made the bike misfire and stall ,Ive turned the quickshifter off in the menu and bike now behaves itself, hopefully getting sorted this week. Bike now at 2700k quick clutch pulls and shifts required will make gearbox feel normal and smooth and you will eradicate false neutrals altogether, you can not be lazy with this transmission Im sure my gearbox has got better with mileage. I do have a little DCT envy but long term reliability will surely err toward the manual, hope this helps..

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks harleywilma, I'll take a look. I appreciate the help. I agree, the bike shifts best when quick and hard, but it feels like there might be something else going on too. I'll take a look at the seals and grease.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks harleywilma, I'll take a look. I appreciate the help. I agree, the bike shifts best when quick and hard, but it feels like there might be something else going on too. I'll take a look at the seals and grease.
I have a 10 year old hand held self drive Honda lawnmower ,have never changed the oil ,I mow our 2 acre paddock with it and treat it like garbage and still it works great, also have an old Honda accord tourer auto and treat that the same and Its a great car. So you see were Im going here, I also own a 2002 honda africa twin xrv RD07
and Its also brilliant, so off I went and bought my ATAS but the jury is out on whether Its cut from the same cloth,I was expecting this super over engineered master piece of a bike but build quality is down as are the fuelling and transmission so feel a little let down really . My Old Honda RC30 was a masterpiece as was my cbx 1000. Only time will tell ..

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know what you mean. The ATAS has its quirks and I feel like it’s making me work a bit to learn them, get the smoothest ride out of her. Beyond the hard mech. engine breaking, I find the throttle sensitive, esp. down low; she’s a bit herky-jerky at idling speeds in 1st and 2nd; and there’s my issue with the shifter.

But when I get it just right, it’s very nice. And I have no problems when I get on her a bit, taking off faster, with a bit more throttle, or hitting the throttle hard (although I have yet to really bang it—still being a tad on the gentle side until I've changed the oils at 600 miles).

But the last bike I owned was a 1978 Honda 750 Four K. It didn’t take a great deal of skill to ride that bike; she just took off, in any fashion you cared for.

I enjoyed riding the ’78 Honda (and my ‘76 Kawasaki) easy and casually. Slow, relaxed, seamless acceleration with a bit longer clutch play: pull the clutch, let off throttle, hold it a moment, shift up, ease the clutch out and casually move through the gears.

I have yet to learn how to ride this bike like that with any regularity. I think it’s a combination of the mech. engine breaking (throttling back down so fast) and the sensitive throttle. But trying to take off slow and easy and *seamlessly* is a bit tricky. If I'm going downhill from stopped, it’s much easier.

It was unusually difficult to find a YouTube video of what I'm talking about for some reason—it seems like everyone wants to take off fast these days. But here is one—at minute 8:41 in the video you can see what I'm talking about, how he slowly shifts from first to 2nd and then to 3rd.
https://youtu.be/pGcl-xC8unc

I find doing that on the ATAS pretty difficult thus far without getting some to-and-fro motion—you know what I mean, the sort of thing might cause a little helmet-to-helmet love tap when the wife’s sitting behind you. I know some might say you're not meant to ride this bike that way. Fair enough. But watch me try until I get it mastered.

Don’t get me wrong. I still love this bike and I have every hope of taming her. She’s esp. beautiful; I *love* the look of her. She’s comfortable and has plenty of power—and that sound! Classic. And with the taller Givi screen she’s a joy to ride on the highway and backroads. I haven’t been off-road yet—still waiting for engine guards—but I know she’ll excel there.

Ps. You had a CBX1000?! I am *envious.* I used to drool over that bike when I was 18 and riding my 750 Four K back in the early 80s. But the 750 was a *great* bike too… until a kid, fresh with his driver’s license, pulled a U-turn in his mom’s station wagon directly in front of me on a suburban street.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a seized gear change pivot full of corrosion and no grease, after fixing, it was a different bike, well worth checking as it takes 2 mins

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any updates on your problem garyh? I experience the same thing, even after repacking the grease on the pivot. sometime it doesn't happen for a good few weeks, then a few days in a row, i get the "-" between gears on the downshift (going 6 to 1 without clutching out). it pops into gear when I let the clutch out a smidge but its annoying. Twice I have had it miss a gear shifting up with a horrible grind sound. Same as you, my last bike was an oldie a 1980 cb400 never once did it shift funny. kind of disappointing and makes me think she won't be around in 30+years like my cb400 who is still going strong..
i also have the 2018 atas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts