Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

· Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
3,594 Posts
Demand ? Certainly in the UK, most riders will trot out the 'I like to be in control of my gearchanges, I need a clutch', while speccing an up/down quickshifter to their next bike purchase....oh the irony
And yet with the bikes that have a choice of DCT or Manual the DCT ones are on par or ahead in sales numbers.

· Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
3,594 Posts
Wasn't one of the Italian manufacturers/badges supposed to be coming out with something along the lines of DCT? It wasn't clear exactly what it was or how it would operate but it was touted. Can't recall who it was but possibly MV Augusta

· Registered
2022 Africa Twin Manual. R380B.
605 Posts
I am sure there are Honda DCT patents that have to be observed
Yes. I think the same. But can a Manufacturer design a DCT system using 2 clutches, PWM Solenoids, Sensors and a Module?
Using their own parts, ideas and design as placement of the parts and so on?

Or they will need to get a License and pay royalties to Honda??? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

· Administrator
11,552 Posts
Yes. I think the same. But can a Manufacturer design a DCT system using 2 clutches, PWM Solenoids, Sensors and a Module?
Using their own parts, ideas and design as placement of the parts and so on?

Or they will need to get a License and pay royalties to Honda??? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
Actually, what I meant was the competition would have to design around patents to avoid a violation. Otherwise, just license it.

Patents would be on the implementation technique, and likely not the general concept since DCTs are already used in automobiles and race cars.

· Administrator
11,552 Posts
Wasn't one of the Italian manufacturers/badges supposed to be coming out with something along the lines of DCT? It wasn't clear exactly what it was or how it would operate but it was touted. Can't recall who it was but possibly MV Augusta
I hazard to speculate the reliability of the first and maybe second generation of a consumer grade motorcycle DCT. However, with much improved engineering computer simulations, it might be a refreshing surprise.

· Registered
1,074 Posts
I have owned an auto wheeler for over a decade and it shifts ideally ... and don't all the UTV/RTV companies offer autos? How about decades of scooters? Seems this is know tech. And is it technically correct to call all autos DCTs because is that always the technology used or are there alternatives? Do the beautifully shifting auto atomobiles have "dual clutches"? Naively, after hearing about the existence of the AT DCT I would have guessed auto motorccycles would have half market share by now. I'd better shut up at this point before I start spouting stuff like if you think you can shift better than an auto in mud or sand ... well, let's just say that everyone reading this is a better rider than me but because of the advantage of DCT I continue to motor through. Maybe we need a thread on The Clutch Advantage Myth?

· Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Maybe others are looking back at Burgman like "maxi scooters" sales numbers and also waiting to see how Honda does on DCT sales.

Also others already have "maxi automatic scooters" with motorcycle like power/ wheels/ comfort/ electronics.

I think Honda is also the only motorcycle with 7 speed gearbox...most newer cars come with 9 or 10speed.

· Premium Member
1,250 Posts
I think it's also brilliant that Honda covered "every angle" to satisfy even the most demanding riders, offering these flavors of Africa Twin (GW etc);
  • AT c/w clutch lever and foot shifter
  • AT c/w clutch lever and foot quick shifter
  • AT DCT "full Automatic D,S1,S2,S3"
  • AT DCT c/w "no clutch lever and foot shifter"
  • AT c/w DCT "full Manual paddle shifting" **
** - (while in Manual - M mode) DCT will start the "downshifting sequence automatically" if you slow down rapidly and "forget" to downshift through the gears.
I am not sure if the system will also "automatically up shift" if you redline the gear ? (to protect the engine and transmission)

PS: I bought my DCT so I can exclusively ride it in "M mode using paddles" not interested in D,S1,2,3 modes...for now, maybe that will change when I grow old(er) :unsure:

· Registered
810 Posts
Quick shifters are NOT the same and not good enough for DCT lovers.
Demand ? Certainly in the UK, most riders will trot out the 'I like to be in control of my gearchanges, I need a clutch', while speccing an up/down quickshifter to their next bike purchase....oh the irony
Dave, meet Bumpy. ;)

· Administrator
11,552 Posts
Maxi scooters basically have heavy duty CVTs; think like snowmobiles. Not as heavy duty as say the modern Honda Civics, CRVs Nissans, and etc. Nonetheless, the acceleration will be seamless. There are disadvantages to many CVTs, but I believe the AT DCT does not possess those since they actually have a pair of real clutches involved in the design.

DCT is substantially more complex in concept compared to a CVT. Modern CVTs in cars are probably complex.

· Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Yamaha FJR1300 was available in "semi-automatic transmission" that could be operated by paddles and/or foot shifter... it was not a DCT but people loved it (I had two FJR's but none automatic which were hard to find)

· Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
3,594 Posts
Unlike CVT or other automatics , DCT is basically a conventional gearbox but clutch and gear selection are done via motor/hydraulic/computer.
It also has two clutches one clutch being connected to odd gears and the other even gears and because of that the next gear is already selected and that allows extremely quick and seamless gear changes, normally 0.2/0.3 seconds as all that is required is for one clutch to be released whilst the other is engaged. If I recall it was Porsche that developed it but could be wrong on that.

· Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Maxi scooters basically have heavy duty CVTs; think like snowmobiles. Not as heavy duty as say the modern Honda Civics, CRVs Nissans, and etc. Nonetheless, the acceleration will be seamless. There are disadvantages to many CVTs, but I believe the AT DCT does not possess those since they actually have a pair of real clutches involved in the design.

DCT is substantially more complex in concept compared to a CVT. Modern CVTs in cars are probably complex.
All true, also CVT and similar systems will be cheaper to fix.
I remember that Burgman had a "downshift button" for EXTRA passing power...how did they accomplished that on CVT?

1 - 20 of 117 Posts