Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I plan on taking the AT out for a ride. It will be my first ADV bike ride, and my first street riding in over 3 years.

Don't laugh. Okay you can laugh...LOL

I'm actually nervous because 3 yrs of not riding is a long time. So here's my question: on the stock tire's sidewall, it says 41psi (cold). Is this correct? I have never ridden on tires with such high tire pressure. It's always been 27-30 psi (sportbikes).

I'll be mainly commuting on tarmac for a few months so I can get a good feel for the bike. Then switch to knobbies and go off-roading. Maybe take a class or two before I do.

·
Registered
479 Posts
And it should be printed on a label on your chain guard....

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I ended up driving to work instead.

As much as I wanted to ride the bike, I had to listen to logic over emotions. And in this hobby of ours it's imperative you listen to logic over emotions, or have a well balance sense of logic & emotions.

I'll most likely take my time prepping the bike & myself for a nice casual ride Sunday.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Tomorrow I plan on taking the AT out for a ride. It will be my first ADV bike ride, and my first street riding in over 3 years.

Don't laugh. Okay you can laugh...LOL

I'm actually nervous because 3 yrs of not riding is a long time. So here's my question: on the stock tire's sidewall, it says 41psi (cold). Is this correct? I have never ridden on tires with such high tire pressure. It's always been 27-30 psi (sportbikes).

I'll be mainly commuting on tarmac for a few months so I can get a good feel for the bike. Then switch to knobbies and go off-roading. Maybe take a class or two before I do.
The 41PSI marking on the tyre is the tyre manufacturer's recommended maximum inflation pressure.

The bike/car manufacturers have determined the optimum pressures for tyres an publish them in owner manuals and tyre placards.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Wow - that's quite a jump up for relatively little increase in weight. Are the tyres fitted to the Sport a different profile or something?
Mike
No, no difference at all.

there are other peculiar things also: the book specifies the same pressure for solo driver as well as driver and pillion!! for the standard AT, the pressures are different with pillion (as it is logical).

also, the maximum allowable weight for the ATAS (passengers included) is 195kg, vs. 213 of the standard AT, while the maximum alloable luggage weight is reduced to 23 from 29.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mine shows as 41 and 33 PSI for the Rear and Front respectively. That is what I have used and it handles very well so far on pavement and dirt. I don't know that I will ever spend a high enough % of time on dirt to lower it as I would rather have it a little high on dirt rather than low on tarmac.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts