Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I am hopefully getting my new bike soon and am interested to hear about the stock tires, (which ones did you get?), and any suggestions/recommendations. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,792 Posts
I am actually a fan of the Dunlop Trailmax.... so far they have served very well

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I found the Dunlop Trailmax wore fast. However, I have read much good things about the new Dunlop Trailmax Missions.

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
361 Posts
My bike also came with Metzler Karoo Street. Great tyre for on- and offroad not so noisy as my old Pirelli Rally STR.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 2017 DCT and ride 50/50 on/off road. I put Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs on (replaced stock) when the bike was new. They handle well except for shallow (approx 4" deep) sand where, for me, the front slips out too easily and with 3000 miles are showing wear - probably replace them in 1000 miles or so. After LOTs of research my next set will be Shinko 705 front (better sand) and Motoz Tractionator GPS rear.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a 5000km experience with AX41T the new Bridgestone which was mounted on my CRF1100L. I have tested them on asphalt, woodtrails, rain, snow, gravel, heavy sand dunes, hard speed riding like on mountain serpantines.

maybe to sum up all my experience up to date it is mainly on road tire. It is very good on dry asphalt. If weather is good and surface is hard it can do almost all you can expect from modern tire.Tires nowadays in motorcycle are far better than standart motorcyclist can handlein comparison to tires some 20years ago because technology shifts so rapidly in the tire industry.

On the wet road it handles normal riding. As i was comming from sports motorcycles I wanted to have better wet grip. Something like my previous tire Michelin Pilot Road 5 Trail which was almost excellent on ant water conditions. I have felt the new Bridgestones are specially slippery on road markings and speed turns. Something I am worried about. My next tire will be Conti Trail Attack. Just to make sure is it slippery because I am not used to the new size of rims (18/21) or thats just a tire issue.

going off the asphalt AX41T suprisingly well handles easy gravel and hard surface backroads and single tracks. As long as there is hard gravel and only some loose compound you will go on it like on the normal road. Dry grass and sunny fields are also no problem as long as I was moderate and cautious.

the worst thing was in the sand dunes and technical offroad. You cannot cross dunes or rivers. Slippery bald front and rear will get you stuck in a moment. Just came from the adventure rally where i had to sign off due to inability to habdle terrain. Deep sands and wet gravel is too slippery for stock tire to handle.

·
Super Moderator
6,792 Posts
I had a 5000km experience with AX41T the new Bridgestone which was mounted on my CRF1100L. I have tested them on asphalt, woodtrails, rain, snow, gravel, heavy sand dunes, hard speed riding like on mountain serpantines.

maybe to sum up all my experience up to date it is mainly on road tire. It is very good on dry asphalt. If weather is good and surface is hard it can do almost all you can expect from modern tire.Tires nowadays in motorcycle are far better than standart motorcyclist can handlein comparison to tires some 20years ago because technology shifts so rapidly in the tire industry.

On the wet road it handles normal riding. As i was comming from sports motorcycles I wanted to have better wet grip. Something like my previous tire Michelin Pilot Road 5 Trail which was almost excellent on ant water conditions. I have felt the new Bridgestones are specially slippery on road markings and speed turns. Something I am worried about. My next tire will be Conti Trail Attack. Just to make sure is it slippery because I am not used to the new size of rims (18/21) or thats just a tire issue.

going off the asphalt AX41T suprisingly well handles easy gravel and hard surface backroads and single tracks. As long as there is hard gravel and only some loose compound you will go on it like on the normal road. Dry grass and sunny fields are also no problem as long as I was moderate and cautious.

the worst thing was in the sand dunes and technical offroad. You cannot cross dunes or rivers. Slippery bald front and rear will get you stuck in a moment. Just came from the adventure rally where i had to sign off due to inability to habdle terrain. Deep sands and wet gravel is too slippery for stock tire to handle.
That was a useful report on the AX41T. Not every rider has easy access to terrain where the tire fails to perform (e.g. sand dunes). Therefore, your feedback still provides information to AT riders who still may consider the tire for their application. (y)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Interesting. I have the A41s (no X) and they are 90/10 application.
Thats different. A41s was also more sport oriented and installed on factory GS i think. But number of wet performance complaints aswell.

there is also hard offroad version of A41 just not sure what is the exact name

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dunno I have
Tyres. I think they are AX41T, but funny enough can;t find them on google or any shop really.
The tyre is anyway in my opinion horrific.

Had ad least 5-6 situations where on rain surface wheel sleeps randomly even on straight road... Then the AT TC kicks in aggressively and you can be lucky to stay on the bike.
Had a slip few days ago on the rain, was going 20km/h on serpentine and front just went away... No Oil or anything on the road... and wasn't even super slippery.

Off we went, 10m slide = 1000 euro repairs...
So I would avoid that tyre 100%.

Already ordered my previous ones I had on previous bike ( Michelin anakee adventure ) and they were perfect for rain, never had a single issue.
But this tire is horrific to be hones... Never going to try any Bridgestone again no chance.

·
Super Moderator
6,792 Posts
Dunno I have
Tyres. I think they are AX41T, but funny enough can;t find them on google or any shop really.
The tyre is anyway in my opinion horrific.

Had ad least 5-6 situations where on rain surface wheel sleeps randomly even on straight road... Then the AT TC kicks in aggressively and you can be lucky to stay on the bike.
Had a slip few days ago on the rain, was going 20km/h on serpentine and front just went away... No Oil or anything on the road... and wasn't even super slippery.

Off we went, 10m slide = 1000 euro repairs...
So I would avoid that tyre 100%.

Already ordered my previous ones I had on previous bike ( Michelin anakee adventure ) and they were perfect for rain, never had a single issue.
But this tire is horrific to be hones... Never going to try any Bridgestone again no chance.
My AT came with OEM Dunlop Trailmax which are worse. I opted for the A41 (no X, no T). So far I really like the tire for road use (wet or dry), but would never consider it for offroad. To be honest, I don't know how the A41 is an "A"dventure tire, but is maybe (90/10) in favour of onroad. To read the AX41T is not working for you is useful to know.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not even got my bike yet and i asked if they could fit pirelli scorpian rally as i have had great riding with them all through europe and off roading in portugal and home again wet dry no issues

1 - 20 of 38 Posts