Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't put black handguards on a white bike.

The 'Storm' handguards seem to only come in black.

What is 'Storm' about them anyway?

I've seen pics of people having Barkbuster brand handguards in white but I can't get any info about this bar weights situation, which seems to complicate things.

Apparently AT-specific handguards come with their own bar weights?

Like...it's almost as though you'd need an adpater of some kind and can't use the stock bar weights?

Yet I've not seen this described anywhere specifically.

How is this supposed to work?

I don't even think I want the Barkbuster brand anyway.

I want to go with Cycra and a set of Bones mounts.

What gives?

What are you guys using?

·
Registered
155 Posts
The storms are just bigger for more coverage. Good in cold bad in hot in my opinion. I am ordering these.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/barkbusters-vps-handguard-kit-honda-africa-twin-2016
10 different colors and are made for the AT. Plus they come with a piece you can screw on for the colder months and take off for the hotter months.
I will be putting the black ones on my red manual you can get which ever color you like and they will fit the manual AT or the DCT.
Good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the picture of the aluminum hoops, look at that big black thing? how is that supposed to interface with the bar weight?

Maybe picture is wrong?

That happens a lot.

Anyway, after looking further, I still prefer the Cycra.

I'm going to try to find that application and will post.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just ordered mine so I haven't seen them in person yet. I believe that black thing is the new bar end weight. The Bark Busters thread into the bars like the stock ones. The Cycra I don't think do. I believe you would have to remove the female threaded piece from inside the handlebars and then they would not mount like stock. I could be wrong but this is why I went with the Bark Busters.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So maybe there really is a weird adapter piece on there.

Would make sense, or else what the heck do the stock bar weights screw into, in a hollow tube?

Damnit.

I want those Cycras.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Would make sense, or else what the heck do the stock bar weights screw into, in a hollow tube?

Damnit.

I want those Cycras.

Post the ones you want and maybe someone who knows can help answer weather or not they will work. Or call whoever your getting them from and ask if they know if they will work.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Honda has built a vibration damper into the bars. An 18mm bolt attaches the Honda guards through the bar end weight. Barkbusters has an 18mm - 8mm adapter for easy fitting. The standard expandable plug does not work unless you remove the Honda vibe dampers.

Highway Dirt Bike now has an Africa Twin specific set with longer arm to reach to the centre bar clamp, new bar end weight and 18mm-8mm hardware.

·
Registered
312 Posts

Damnit.

I want those Cycras.
Hi gman, I admire people who want to be individuals, but I didn't have a Welder, Grinder, assortment of Bolts Nuts and Tubing nor did I have a spare day to make something fit that wasn't meant to, like some other AT riders did (elsewhere on this forum), so I just got Barkbusters and fit them up in 20min. Simple. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts