Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crashed bike into 3ft deep washout. Engine flooded. What all do I need to get the water out of the engine? I’m way out in the woods and I need me rescue to bring tools.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just seen this, I sincerely hope this is a joke, as its now 20:52. I do hope you used your phone to ring emergency services as well as post on the forum??
this doesn't sound like a woodland fix to me? hope your ok or laughing at my gullible nature.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Stand the bike on the back wheel to drain the water from the exhaust, remove the outside spark plugs from the engine & spin the engine over with the starter to pump the water out of the cylinders, when the water stops coming out of the plug holes refit the plugs, check the engine oil for water in the oil, start the bike, what ever you do dont try & start the engine without 1st draining the water as you could hydraulic lock the engine & bend the engine con rods, normally flooding an engine isnt a big deal & doesnt take long to get going again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I made it out. We called the park rangers. His GSA was easy to drain. I had the rangers take me to meet one of the other riders siblings and she brought oil and tools. It wasn’t too awful to fix and we were able to ride it two hours home.

Thanks for those who replied. I could have given more info on the situation but I was trying to save battery. It took four hours for the park rangers to even locate us.

For anyone this ever happens to. You need a

5mm hex key in multiple locations.

12mm socket or spanner (for oil drain plugs)

14mm deep thin walled socket for the spark plugs

I used a knife to pop out the snap rivet things. But a small hex or awl can be used.

Made for a helluva day though! Won’t forget this one.

·
Registered
860 Posts
That's a serious puddle. I've gotten myself stuck like that on my smaller bike but not flooded it.
I'm glad you were able to get the oil out and get your bike going again.
Lesson learned - double-check and walk really deep looking puddles. ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Stand the bike on the back wheel to drain the water from the exhaust, remove the outside spark plugs from the engine & spin the engine over with the starter to pump the water out of the cylinders, when the water stops coming out of the plug holes refit the plugs, check the engine oil for water in the oil, start the bike, what ever you do dont try & start the engine without 1st draining the water as you could hydraulic lock the engine & bend the engine con rods, normally flooding an engine isnt a big deal & doesnt take long to get going again
How do you stand the bike on the back wheel? What do you mean by outside spark plugs? Thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts