Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have recently purchased a 2017 AT and have started noticing a strange pop in the front end after it has been sitting for a while. In the morning's when I move it, it pops once and then not again till it sits. Anybody have an idea what is causing it? Can't locate the source cause after it pops once it wont do it again till it sits a while.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have recently purchased a 2017 AT and have started noticing a strange pop in the front end after it has been sitting for a while. In the morning's when I move it, it pops once and then not again till it sits. Anybody have an idea what is causing it? Can't locate the source cause after it pops once it wont do it again till it sits a while.
More than likely pressure in the gas tank equalising with external air pressure. The inside pressure varies a lot as the temperature changes. Mine wheezes and whistles continuously - some may pop.
Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

It could be the front of the seat near ythe tank. Mine made a sound so i added a little padding under the seat near teh tank.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
More than likely pressure in the gas tank equalising with external air pressure. The inside pressure varies a lot as the temperature changes. Mine wheezes and whistles continuously - some may pop.
Mike
To rule out my theory just leave it with the gas tank flap open while you do some jobs in the garage
Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
That happens with mine as well, especially if I'm backing up and then apply the front brakes. I think it's the front brake disks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
That happens with mine as well, especially if I'm backing up and then apply the front brakes. I think it's the front brake disks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup front discs. That is normal. However, if you can't tell what it is take it to someone knowledgeable to be safe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealer says they don't know, shouldn't worry about it. It sounds like it's coming from engine compartment. I've listened by sticking my head between the front tire and engine. Only does it in the morning after it cools down. Seems like different cool rates on metals that get stuck on one another. Just wondering if anyone else's bike did it. I've attached a video on you tube.

https://youtu.be/WRQRNWL0Tew

Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
WHOAH!

That is the single, strangest sound I've ever heard out of a motorcycle.

The fact that it seems to be heat-cycle related is perplexing.

Nothing is really supposed to expand and contract so much, and interface so closely, so as to interfere with each other under most any condition.

You say it sounds like it's up in the engine compartment area, seemingly under the fairing?

This does not sound like brake caliper or pad noise, nor does it sound like tank venting noise.

Do you feel slight resistance in the wheel, then a release when you straightened it like that to make the noise?

Is there a corresponding sensation that you can feel in the wheel when the noise happens?

Are you absolutely sure it's a hot/cold thing?

Maybe you should try reproducing it only when it's cold or hot, to rule that out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've tried reproducing the sound. It only does it in the morning after it sits. It will do it on the side stand or the center stand. It does it a little when I start driving it when I give it alot of gas and it surges up. After a few times it stops completely till the next morning. Showed the dealer the video and they are going to look at it again in the morning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've tried reproducing the sound. It only does it in the morning after it sits. It will do it on the side stand or the center stand. It does it a little when I start driving it when I give it alot of gas and it surges up. After a few times it stops completely till the next morning. Showed the dealer the video and they are going to look at it again in the morning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I notice the same on my 2019 ATAS. Only after it sits for a while. Couldn’t tell if it was tires, forks or brakes. I didn’t see a positive confirmation that it was the brakes. Any updates?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Might be late... but happens to me too and i figured it out... by luck!

To mine, it happens alot when i get home and park the bike after a good run... that day i ended up cleaning the discs on the front because they had a bit off grease in them and where not braking correctly. It was then, when i was holding one of them that it "crack".... and i almost "crapped" myself to! LOLOL

After mentioning this to my mechanic he explained that "floating disc" might tend to make that "cracking" sound when cooling down... after that, i started paying more attention to that and all makes sense now!

Was unable to see the video, so can't really confirm that is the same noise, but by some of the reports on here, that's my guess!

Take care and ride safe!

Paulo Moniz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts