Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using the STS Electronic canceling turn signals on a 18-19 ATAS DCT?
Just curious on how well they work and the install...

·
Administrator
3,419 Posts
Anyone using the STS Electronic canceling turn signals on a 18-19 ATAS DCT?
Just curious on how well they work and the install...
I am waiting to hear back from someone on the STS FB site. He said he would update me to how his install went on his 2019. I am hoping he doesn't forget about me :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My twin has a push button cancel device, very high tech
Mines even better, it has these blinking lights on the dash that blink to remind you up to 10min. and later, that you left your blinker on and that you forgot to push that button..

Reactions: jamnut

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Ok,
Soooooo, no one's able to answer the OP's question. I emailed the STS company a week or so ago asking if their product would fit an '18 AT/AS DCT and, if the install of it would violate any Honda warranties. Their answer was, YES it their unit IS compatible with that particular Honda and, no, it would not violate any warranties due to it being "E-26" compliant and, it's considered a safety device. I asked them to show me IN WRITING that it would not violate any warranties and, what the heck is "E-26" compliant?? All I got at that point was something written in a foreign language but, no real, definitive letter or document stating that the install of their STS turn signal system install, would not alter or violate any Honda implied warranties.

YES, I would really, really like to have self canceling turn signals. I've had the luxury of self canceling turn signals for decades on my Honda Goldwings. I can't for the life of me, figure out WHY Honda would be so cheap as to not install them in a bike like these. I won't mind paying the $89 for the system, not at all, if it WON'T bother my warranty. I might call a dealer and ask them if THEY did the install, would it not effect warranty?
Scott

Reactions: Cuchulainn

·
Administrator
3,419 Posts
Ok,
Soooooo, no one's able to answer the OP's question. I emailed the STS company a week or so ago asking if their product would fit an '18 AT/AS DCT and, if the install of it would violate any Honda warranties. Their answer was, YES it their unit IS compatible with that particular Honda and, no, it would not violate any warranties due to it being "E-26" compliant and, it's considered a safety device. I asked them to show me IN WRITING that it would not violate any warranties and, what the heck is "E-26" compliant?? All I got at that point was something written in a foreign language but, no real, definitive letter or document stating that the install of their STS turn signal system install, would not alter or violate any Honda implied warranties.

YES, I would really, really like to have self canceling turn signals. I've had the luxury of self canceling turn signals for decades on my Honda Goldwings. I can't for the life of me, figure out WHY Honda would be so cheap as to not install them in a bike like these. I won't mind paying the $89 for the system, not at all, if it WON'T bother my warranty. I might call a dealer and ask them if THEY did the install, would it not effect warranty?
Scott
Yes, sorry I could have told the OP that. I mentioned something about it in another thread. I had talked to STS as well and they said it fits fine and that they just haven't updated their compatibility list.

As far as how well it works, I have heard some mixed reviews from owners. The tail light module apparently is extremely sensitive to being perfectly level. If it gets off level even a little it apparently doesn't work.

Also people have reported in group rides, people have complained that it's incredibly annoying.

The turn signal module seems to have some of the issues that are typical, won't cancel for lane changes, etc. Also the foam stoppers seems to be finicky.

I had a set in my cart, but decided not to pull the trigger in the end. That may change, but I think I am OK without it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had the STS unit installed on my ST1300 for almost a year and it worked almost perfectly. The unit itself has to be installed where it makes maximum contact with the frame of the bike. It doesn't have to be perfectly level, but the arrow on the top of the unit needs to point straight. It took me a few tries to get the foam inserts (had some extra lying around) the right size (this was the most time consuming part). One thing to remember is when changing lanes, make sure you dip the bike slightly in the direction of the lane you are switching to, as this will ensure that the blinker turns off after you change lanes.

·
Administrator
3,419 Posts
I had the STS unit installed on my ST1300 for almost a year and it worked almost perfectly. The unit itself has to be installed where it makes maximum contact with the frame of the bike. It doesn't have to be perfectly level, but the arrow on the top of the unit needs to point straight. It took me a few tries to get the foam inserts (had some extra lying around) the right size (this was the most time consuming part). One thing to remember is when changing lanes, make sure you dip the bike slightly in the direction of the lane you are switching to, as this will ensure that the blinker turns off after you change lanes.
Good to know about the leveling. I picked that up from STS while they tried to troubleshoot a few peoples issues on their FB page. They kept saying that it had to be level. Something about the tilt and it's sensitivity.

Sounds like maybe it isn't as sensitive as they say, but likely a logical troubleshooting step when there are issues?

Sounds like the reports on the foam inserts are correct though :)

Edit: Do you ride in groups? If so any complaints about the tail light from people who have been behind you?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Edit: Do you ride in groups? If so any complaints about the tail light from people who have been behind you?
I very rarely ride in groups, usually it's only me and a buddy of mine. But the few times I've ridden in groups, I've had another buddy of mine tell me that my brake light keeps coming on all the time. The STS rear unit is quite sensitive and it does come on even with a slight dip in speed, so didn't bother installing it on the ATAS.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
It is my understanding that Africa Twins in Europe are equipped with self canceling turn signals.
There was a long, multi post thread on that subject elsewhere on this forum but, I can't direct you to it now, unless that's where you got your info from.
Scott

·
Administrator
3,419 Posts
I very rarely ride in groups, usually it's only me and a buddy of mine. But the few times I've ridden in groups, I've had another buddy of mine tell me that my brake light keeps coming on all the time. The STS rear unit is quite sensitive and it does come on even with a slight dip in speed, so didn't bother installing it on the ATAS.
Thanks. That's one of the reasons I didn't pull the trigger on that set. My wife and I do ride a lot in groups as part of a local club and reports were that it was supper sensitive.

I may still decide to try the turn signals, but I think I am going to go with the Ad-More Lights unit for the rear.

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
Wow, I myself have always done , myself canceling .
I am sure most Forum folks have the muscle memory and OCD to <cancel> after a turn completion. ... <cancel>, ... <cancel>, ... <cancel>

<coffee><coffee><coffee><coffee><coffee><coffee><coffee><coffee><coffee><coffee>

Sorry, ahem, ... <cancel>.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts