Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 DCT and last week took the demonstrator Sport model out.
It wasn't pleasant round town and I think it's the fuelling rather than the DCT.
Bit of background first. I do 90% of my riding on pretty much a closed throttle and a bike really irritates me if the fuelling is poor. Generally this happens because the manufacturer cannot otherwise meet ever tightening Euro emissions regulations. I test rode tons of bikes a few years ago and IMHO only Honda and Triumph seemed to be able to get tolerable low rev fuelling. ie very little stuttering.
I had 3 NC750X's and they were good at this. The Africa Twin I bought last year wasn't quite as good but I put that down to the bigger engine.
So last night I went out on my 2017 bike again and compared it with what had been happening with the Sport. It was definitely much smoother at 30mph. now I know many people will say the stuttering you were feeling is because you were lugging the bike. I can categorically say that is not the case as I was in automode and Honda's engineers will presumably have set it so it doesn't 'lug'. The interesting point though is that at 29-32mph my bike is in 5th gear whereas the Sport was in 4th. If I paddled the Sport up to 5th it promptly changed back down.
So question number 1 - Are the DCT gearbox ratios the same on the 2018 bike? - I can't find that information.
Question number 2 - Do the 2018 bikes have to comply with different, more onerous Euro regs? (I don't think so though)

The other possible explanation - firmer suspension and Throttle-by-wire. There is a school of thought that at the bottom end of the rev range manufacturers have to make the fuelling very on/off to comply with the regs. If they do that and ride by wire may make it much easier to do, then any slight rotation of the twistgrip can cause the stuttering. If Honda have firmed up the suspension on the Sport then this could be causing inadvertent very small rotations that are switching the fuel on and off.

One final possibility - it could have just been a 'bad' demonstrator. The second time I started it, it coughed a few times then I think it did it sometimes while riding along at say 40mph. In 16k miles my 2017 bike has never coughed once.

Anyway - I had to get rid of my Versys because its stuttering eventually drove me mad, so I think I'm going to decline the offer of a new 2018 bike and stick with mine for another year.
Mike

·
Registered
400 Posts
My ATAS is not smooth when going through 30mph limits.
I am not sure if its fuelling, my grip on throttle, chain snatch or something else. All I can say is that it is an on/off effect and a stutter. However I can live with it.
Having said that the engine is amazing. I have ridden so many bikes over the last 50 years and this is the best engine yet. As you open it up it just feels smoother and sounds great. All of my previous bikes have vibrated more as the revs climbed, not the AT.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure if its fuelling, my grip on throttle, chain snatch or something else. All I can say is that it is an on/off effect and a stutter. However I can live with it.
Having said that the engine is amazing. I have ridden so many bikes over the last 50 years and this is the best engine yet. As you open it up it just feels smoother and sounds great. All of my previous bikes have vibrated more as the revs climbed, not the AT.
Yes - whatever they have done Kev, it has certainly made a difference to the 2018 engines
Mike

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've not had any problems, I mostly use mine in Touring, with S1,

Why not visit your dealer to have it checked out,

·
Registered
171 Posts
I also notice this on my ATAS, hope that the Fastbike Easy is approved for the 2018 bike soon, or get an alternative. Need to speak to Jonathan at RR.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am trying to order a Rapidbike Easy from Rugged Roads. It asks for the year of my bike but when I put in 2017 it says out of stock. However the item is apparently in stock for the 2016 bike. Surely there's no difference is there?
Mike

·
Registered
67 Posts
Cant say I've noticed any poor running on my ATAS , though I've only 700miles on its bores a fair bit was at local urban road speeds?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Going through pain in traffic myself I have the manual and it’s a pig near off throttle. Have tried booster plug helped a bit but still poor hunting at slow speed. Tried 95ron and 98 all power modes had first service 1000km reset ecm back to learning settings again but same. Dealer reported problem and told their demo is the same waiting reply from honda.

·
Registered
191 Posts
This is exactly my experience. Under 30 (18 ATAS manual ,here) the bike lugs and lugs and is just twitchy as all ****. I ride in gravel mode in the rain or when I am tired or around town and it lets me have more range of motion on the throttle. In fact, I ride with gravel mode most of the time as it lets me hammer the throttle without immediately breaking the law. Once you clear 30mph, the engine just moves. There is only vibration in the footpegs if you duck foot it and touch the frame of the peg. The handlebars are smooth. The mirrors are absolutely still (I have never, ever seen that on a bike) and you can be cruising on the highway in 4th gear and still have two more gears for overdrive. It is just a bonkers bike. I absolutely love it. I apologize. I don't have anyone to tell about my deep love for this bike. It all just kind of comes out sometimes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can't say ive noticed anything on my ATAS that's worrying me.

Cheers Mr Biker

:smile2:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I discovered a cure for the snatchiness when filtering through town at slow speed. Drive with the rear brake slightly on. It definitely smoothes out the jerkiness but hey, we shouldn’t have to ride like this and goodness knows what following drivers think if my brake light is on all the time.
Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts