Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this super rusted part near the swingarm/engine. I haven't had time to check in detail what is it, or if it is easy to remove and paint or whatever.

Question is, has this happened to anyone else? or is it just me?

Bike has only about 1000miles

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine is the same. I have given the area a blast with ACF50 to keep the rust it under control. I think this bike needs a bit more tlc to than others to stop corrosion taking hold.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, given is not a one time occurrence only for me (meaning I don't have to take it for a warranty claim, which I'd hate), I will probably sand it down, clean and paint with chassis spray pain to protect it.

I don't know when I'll be doing this, but I will post my results here then.

Thanks a lot for your quick responses!

·
Registered
400 Posts
It looks like a mild steel spacer. My bike has done 40 dry miles and I can see rust specs on it. It should have been plated or stainless. I have used a long artists brush and smeared it with ACF50 top and bottom

·
Registered
27 Posts
Same here.
I spotted another rusty spot, its on the right side of the engine. I think its a temp. sensor. Righthand front.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Okay guys...the rust issue (spokes, frame, etc.) has been recorded by numerous owners. Myself included.

As much as I would like to see a class action suit filed, we're just going to have to accept the fact our bikes will be completely rusted within 5 yrs. Even though, my 2009 Honda CBR600RR race bike which has been sitting in the garage for over 5-6yrs shows zero signs of rust. Go figure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay guys...the rust issue (spokes, frame, etc.) has been recorded by numerous owners. Myself included.

As much as I would like to see a class action suit filed, we're just going to have to accept the fact our bikes will be completely rusted within 5 yrs. Even though, my 2009 Honda CBR600RR race bike which has been sitting in the garage for over 5-6yrs shows zero signs of rust. Go figure.
I don't think the bike will be completely rusted in 5yrs. I had a CB500X before my AT, and I rode that thing all year round for 2 years, including very salty conditions, and nothing really rusted badly except some minor stuff that was easy/cheap to replace or paint. The AT should hold better than a CB500X, or so I think.

I also don't see why/how an action class suit would ever happen because of corrosion. We are talking about cosmetic issues, not horror stories about ECUs breaking in the middle of nowhere, brakes failing, death wobbles or some other weird stuff that other manufacturers have had.

Just to be clear: I am not complaining or whining about the rusted part, I was just curious because I saw a rusted-red part on the 1 month old bike and I wanted to make sure it was not only my bike.

Cheers!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I don't think the bike will be completely rusted in 5yrs. I had a CB500X before my AT, and I rode that thing all year round for 2 years, including very salty conditions, and nothing really rusted badly except some minor stuff that was easy/cheap to replace or paint. The AT should hold better than a CB500X, or so I think.

I also don't see why/how an action class suit would ever happen because of corrosion. We are talking about cosmetic issues, not horror stories about ECUs breaking in the middle of nowhere, brakes failing, death wobbles or some other weird stuff that other manufacturers have had.

Just to be clear: I am not complaining or whining about the rusted part, I was just curious because I saw a rusted-red part on the 1 month old bike and I wanted to make sure it was not only my bike.

Cheers!
I was just exaggerating about the bike being completely covered in rust. LOL

But I am not exaggerating about the class action suit. Corrison of the frame can be viewed as compromising safety. If I'm not mistaken, Toyota issued a warranty extension/replaced frame due to rust on their Tundras...why can't Honda?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have a friend who had the frame warranty-replaced on his 8-year-old Tacoma, not Tundra, and it was rotted all the way through, so bad that they didn't want him to drive it out of the shop. But those are driven in the winter, and the warranty was only good where they salt the roads. I doubt that the frame will rust that bad on a summer playtoy like these. Surface rust is not a structural problem.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I saw this super rusted part near the swingarm/engine. I haven't had time to check in detail what is it, or if it is easy to remove and paint or whatever.

Question is, has this happened to anyone else? or is it just me?

Bike has only about 1000miles

Thanks!
Thats the bush that goes into the engine, there is a long bolt that goes all the way through the chassis/swingarm/engine/swingarm/chassis its the only bit on the bike I have found so far that is short of lube from the factory. Its a fairly quick job to take it out and grease it or put anti seize on it then run it back through and tighten up.
If you are respringing the back end you should do it at that time its a lot easyer to drop the swingarm than to faf around trying to giggle the rear shock out. You might as well regrease all the rear linkage bearings while you are there but mine we all good at about 30k km.
If you leave it in there long enough and do a few water crossings eventually it will become very difficult to get out, this bolt is plated so should not be a big issue some other brands I have had neither the bolt or the bush are plated and they can become rusted together. Keeping oil or grease on it is better than nothing.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats the bush that goes into the engine, there is a long bolt that goes all the way through the chassis/swingarm/engine/swingarm/chassis its the only bit on the bike I have found so far that is short of lube from the factory. Its a fairly quick job to take it out and grease it or put anti seize on it then run it back through and tighten up.
If you are respringing the back end you should do it at that time its a lot easyer to drop the swingarm than to faf around trying to giggle the rear shock out. You might as well regrease all the rear linkage bearings while you are there but mine we all good at about 30k km.
If you leave it in there long enough and do a few water crossings eventually it will become very difficult to get out, this bolt is plated so should not be a big issue some other brands I have had neither the bolt or the bush are plated and they can become rusted together. Keeping oil or grease on it is better than nothing.
Thanks for your reply. I haven't tried to take mine out yet. I am going through some crazy months in my life right now, but all for good stuff :). The little free time I have to spend on the bike I am using it to ride.

Hopefully my situation normalizes during summer and I'm able to do this job (plus several other projects I have planned) by the end of August.

Cheers!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts