Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,
I've only done a few miles of night riding on my new AT/AS DCT (2018) and man, I was so used to my lighted switches on the bike we traded in, an '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing, that it's gonna take me a short bit of time, to form a memory of just where things are so I don't go honking the horn, while trying to put turn signal on or, canceling it. The brain is sloooooowly learning these things. "Old dog new tricks huh"?
Scott

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
743 Posts
If you are looking at your switches, then you're taking your eyes off the road.
NEVER look at your switches. They should be automatic without thought.
That said, Why did Honda swap position of the horn and turn signal switches. I keep mashing the turn signal cancel when I want the horn...

·
Super Moderator
6,780 Posts
That said, Why did Honda swap position of the horn and turn signal switches. I keep mashing the turn signal cancel when I want the horn...
Yeah, I still haven't quite adjusted to that since I first experienced the Honda change around 2014. Signals are not a problem - that is muscle memory. But that horn ...

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Sir,
Not to be argumentative but, after driving fire trucks for over 35 years, my eyes have trained to look EVERYWHERE, including multiple controls as well as the road. Of course your main attention is to the surrounding traffic/potential pedestrians/oncoming vehicles and a ton more. This is a matter of choice thing. I don't disagree with you on the fact that one should be totally familiar with each and every switch/button/toggle at their fingertips. But, Honda, as well as other big/touring bike makers, do light up their switches on the bigger bikes. It's nice to have when needed.
Scott

Reactions: DoubleThumper

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah, I still haven't quite adjusted to that since I first experienced the Honda change around 2014. Signals are not a problem - that is muscle memory. But that horn ...
I have a 2015 Wing and a 2016 Africa Twin and the **** horn and indicators are reversed - bloody Honda asshats!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have been riding since late 1971. Of the Honda's S-90, CD-175, CB-77, CB-400F and CB-750. Then 1994 Triumph Trophy followed by a 2011 V-Strom. That is the bikes I have owned. Add in all the other bikes I have ridden from demonstration rides, bikes friends have had and bikes I have seen in rallies, showrooms or museums. All of those bikes had the horn button in the bottom position of the left side switchgear. If they had turn signals the switch for those lights was in the centre position of the same switchgear on the left side. That pretty much makes this an industry standard as well as a possible safety standard. Then with the Africa Twin, someone at Honda in their infinite wisdom(?) reverses the position of those switches and messes up every experienced rider on the planet. I will adapt but until then a lot of people may be ticked off by the horn sounding while they are somewhere ahead of or beside me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Anyone remember the old BMW indicators? Left switch on left bar cancelled by right switch on right bar and vice versa? I had about 10 years of that before they went "normal" - trying / borrowing other bikes in the interim made bystanders think the circus was in town with all the music and flashing lights... 😄

·
Registered
743 Posts
Well Sir,
Not to be argumentative but, after driving fire trucks for over 35 years, my eyes have trained to look EVERYWHERE, including multiple controls as well as the road. Of course your main attention is to the surrounding traffic/potential pedestrians/oncoming vehicles and a ton more. This is a matter of choice thing. I don't disagree with you on the fact that one should be totally familiar with each and every switch/button/toggle at their fingertips. But, Honda, as well as other big/touring bike makers, do light up their switches on the bigger bikes. It's nice to have when needed.
Scott
Not much can kill you when driving a fire truck.
Everything can kill you when riding a motorcycle.
Good to know you’re trained for distracted driving. Most aren’t.

·
Super Moderator
6,780 Posts
I never want to be near a fire truck when it is moving.

I wish my Honda horn button had a built-in bright amber LED.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyone remember the old BMW indicators? Left switch on left bar cancelled by right switch on right bar and vice versa? I had about 10 years of that before they went "normal" - trying / borrowing other bikes in the interim made bystanders think the circus was in town with all the music and flashing lights... 😄
Several years ago, when on the FD, a buddy of mine and myself got off shift at the same time. He had a BMW and I had my '02 GL 1800 Goldwing. We basically went the same direction home from the station. He suggested we switch bikes for the ride home and we'd switch back at a predetermined point. Well, I jumped on that BMW and, we had a few turns to make prior to entering the freeway. That's one of the first things I noticed. "What the heck is this, turn signal switches on BOTH sides of the handle bars"???? I'd owned and ridden several bikes in my life and never, EVER had encounterd that kind of controls before.
It wasn't the end of the world but, odd, to say the least, when you're used to NORMAL controls. And, I guess I'm just not a Beemer type guy, that bike vibrated and was not annnnnnyyyyyywhere near as nice and smooth as my Wing(s).
I just can't see the drive for those. Oh well, others do and that's all that counts.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
6,780 Posts
HDs tend to have a turn signal pushbutton on each handlebar end (one for left turn, one for right turn). They probably consider their control arrangement "normal". :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well,
That just goes to show ya, I don't do Harleys. Never have liked them.
Scott

·
Registered
266 Posts
Fire Up. Your problem is in the first sentence of your post. I decided to keep my Goldwing as that is my go-to for two-up riding. The ATAS is a solo bike for me. :cool:

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fire Up. Your problem is in the first sentence of your post. I decided to keep my Goldwing as that is my go-to for two-up riding. The ATAS is a solo bike for me. :cool:
Well Sir,
Our problem is, as much as I could have kept the Wing and purchased the Twin on a loan, at our age, I really don't want to go borrowing money for something like this. It's a principle thing to me. A second thing was, the Wing was 12 years old and while not barely used, only 35K on the clock, I didn't want to have to start fixing things IF, that Wing was to start nickle and diming me. Third, the Wing sat more and more as time went by. I have a little Yamaha TW200 that I used for a town run-a-round bike and small trails and, I love that little thing. It's a ton of fun just to zip here and zip there.
Yeah, I kind-a miss some of the perks of the wing for sure. But, each and every time I get on that Twin, I forget about the wing since the Twin's so much fun. Oh well.
Scott

1 - 20 of 23 Posts