Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally bit the bullet and returned to my go to suspension people at MPE to upgrade the boingers on the 2019 ATAS as they have done on most of my previous steeds. Mostly heavier springs, mid valvinng etc for my weight. Great small business to deal with, principal Paul and his crew down to earth, honest with consistent workmanship.
Went for quick offroad ride locally, and night/day improvement. Suspension work is one of the best upgrades one can do to their bike, particularly if you're 20-30kg over the target weighted rider. Drive, braking, lofting all improved, bike sits noticeably taller too 馃槄.
Also fitted a 44T rear sprocket replacing standard 42T, another great improvement I believe, almost suggest 44T should have been standard issue. 2nd-5th all more flexible offroad, revs still OK on tarmac. 44T will fit with standard chain, just swapped sprocket to trial, will replace all gearing when chain requires it.
20210716_101809.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good pick up @fastfreddie , even though I never heard any noises on ride you still made me go and check the sled under the house, but alls good! 馃槄

Motoz Tractionator Adventure tyres, 70%dirt. 馃憤

Registered
Sorry about that, I couldn't figure it out for sure and figured better safe than sorry.

Your bike definitely looks the 70% dirt part. I like it.

Suspension, tires and gearing are my main points of focus, as well, on pretty much every one of my bikes. Brakes get upgrade as soon as the OEMs prove disappointing.

Now if I could just get an AT into the stable... :(

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Best of luck with 'housing' an AT, worth the effort IMHO. Short of a catastrophic failure, mine will be a long termer.

Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
Finally bit the bullet and returned to my go to suspension people at MPE to upgrade the boingers on the 2019 ATAS as they have done on most of my previous steeds. Mostly heavier springs, mid valvinng etc for my weight. Great small business to deal with, principal Paul and his crew down to earth, honest with consistent workmanship.
Went for quick offroad ride locally, and night/day improvement. Suspension work is one of the best upgrades one can do to their bike, particularly if you're 20-30kg over the target weighted rider. Drive, braking, lofting all improved, bike sits noticeably taller too 馃槄.
Also fitted a 44T rear sprocket replacing standard 42T, another great improvement I believe, almost suggest 44T should have been standard issue. 2nd-5th all more flexible offroad, revs still OK on tarmac. 44T will fit with standard chain, just swapped sprocket to trial, will replace all gearing when chain requires it.
View attachment 64820
Looks and sounds good!!! Looking forward to some ride reports about where that new suspension gets you.

Reactions: Rscar73

Registered
HI Rscar73, absolutely gorgeous looking bike. Very nicely done mods.

Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
Both mods are well worth the time & cost to roll onto the AT. Especially if you're a heavier rider. Ol' Red is sporting 脰hlins front and back as well as a 44-tooth rear sprocket. The only down side is the speedo and odo run high by about 4.7% but easily manageable.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both mods are well worth the time & cost to roll onto the AT. Especially if you're a heavier rider. Ol' Red is sporting 脰hlins front and back as well as a 44-tooth rear sprocket. The only down side is the speedo and odo run high by about 4.7% but easily manageable.
Ohlins is next level 馃憤. Re odo error, I do oil/filter every 6K depending on riding done between, so I can do every 6.3K now...馃槈, which is within my +/-10% tolerance anyway 馃槤

1 - 11 of 11 Posts