Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

I'm having an hard time figuring some basic settings for adjusting the suspension for riding 2up with my wife and some gear...

I just want some basics settings to start with before fine tuning them without using a ruler and a calculator :)

If it can help, I'm 180 pounds, wife 125 and about 40 pounds of stuff...

Cheers,

Jonathan

·
Registered
480 Posts
If the suspension settings are currently as factory supplied (see manual) and you don't want to use the ruler and calculator just wind up the rear preload from the stock position 7 to at least 25 out of a max of 35 clicks. If you find it not turning in quick/easy enough for you on long fast corners (by fast I mean regular open road speed) just pull over and add 1 or 2 extra clicks on that rear preload at a time until it suits. Don't be surprised if you hit the full 35 clicks. Otherwise leave the damping compression and rebound, front and back, well alone until you have more time to address those aspects.

Changing your preload is about setting the correct SAG on your bike and getting a reasonable stance of your bike on the road, i.e. roughly level but could be slightly nose up or nose down to suit your preference. At factory settings with your load the rear will be sitting far too low, you need to jack it up. SAG and is not about how harsh or soft your bike feels, that is the damping settings and can be addressed another time if you find a need.

This SAG is a much more important aspect of your suspension setup and is a reasonably prescriptive issue to address, damping is less so (for a road bike, not talking about competition) and very much more down to personal preference, do you want a plusher ride or firmer? It does depend on what surface you are riding on and how you like to ride but I would suggest if you are two up with luggage on regular roads you can leave the damping well alone until you address SAG. Use the forum search bar for SAG or Suspension, loads of threads on it.

12 Posts
If the suspension settings are currently as factory supplied (see manual) and you don't want to use the ruler and calculator just wind up the rear preload from the stock position 7 to at least 25 out of a max of 35 clicks. If you find it not turning in quick/easy enough for you on long fast corners (by fast I mean regular open road speed) just pull over and add 1 or 2 extra clicks on that rear preload at a time until it suits. Don't be surprised if you hit the full 35 clicks. Otherwise leave the damping compression and rebound, front and back, well alone until you have more time to address those aspects.

Changing your preload is about setting the correct SAG on your bike and getting a reasonable stance of your bike on the road, i.e. roughly level but could be slightly nose up or nose down to suit your preference. At factory settings with your load the rear will be sitting far too low, you need to jack it up. SAG and is not about how harsh or soft your bike feels, that is the damping settings and can be addressed another time if you find a need.

This SAG is a much more important aspect of your suspension setup and is a reasonably prescriptive issue to address, damping is less so (for a road bike, not talking about competition) and very much more down to personal preference, do you want a plusher ride or firmer? It does depend on what surface you are riding on and how you like to ride but I would suggest if you are two up with luggage on regular roads you can leave the damping well alone until you address SAG. Use the forum search bar for SAG or Suspension, loads of threads on it.
+1
I'll add that I will need to respring and revalve my suspension. Riding by myself my preload ended up almost all the way in on both and I added a lot of compression damping and a decent amount of rebound. I"m 220lbs and ride a lot of dirt. The more I set it up well for dirt the better it handled the road.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts