Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just cant get suspension settings 2 up, with luggage to work :(
Opinions welcome, set the rear but cannot get the front to handle feel right

Front suspension
- no modifications to internals, so all standard rides fine and can scape the foot pegs on the road/handles well (which I note will not be attempting two up as have a nice leisurely bimble around France, Belgium and Luxembourg for which I'm trying to set the suspension )
Rear suspension
- Has K-tech 95n/mm spring fitted (up from the standard 83n/mm)

I weight with no gear on - 13stone (83kg) so with gear on (clothing, boots, helmet) = 90kg (weighed myself)
Pillion with near gear on - 11stone (70kg) so with gear on (clothing, boots, helmet) = 77kg
Luggage = approx 15kg max 20kg Total
SO
Total weight 2 up with luggage/ tools = 187kg / 190kg

1 up riding (solo- 90kg) - no issues getting sag at 30% all round, with settings that work for me
Front
  • preload = 5 1/2 turns from Softest
  • rebound = 2 turns from Hardest
  • compression = 6 clicks from Hardest
Rear
  • preload = 5 clicks from softest
  • rebound = 7 clicks from hardest
  • compression = 12 clicks from hardest

2 up with luggage, set rear sag first which came to 100mm settlement (instead of 65mm for 30%) so have approx 46 % sag
Front - To try and get front to match the rear and balance the bike and have the front currently at 30% and cannot get it settle lower unless I turn the preload to less than standard 5 turns, and make rebound and preload softer for which the forks use way to much of the travel riding sensibly under braking cause of the 2 up and luggage
  • Preload = 5 turns from softest
  • Rebound = 1 turn form hardest
  • Compression = 5 clicks form hardest

Rear (can only manage 46% sag)
  • Preload = 34 clicks (on max hard)
  • Rebound = 1 click from hardest
  • Compression = 4 clicks from hardest

Think I will have to soften the front bit more ?

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
743 Posts
With the 95 your good for 1, it wont take 2 up and be happy. I have my 2019 with 95n, rebound all the way in, just about right but could use 1 more. One spring can't do it all and be happy

Reactions: Iktank

·
Registered
38 Posts
105N rear. I'm 13 4 wife is 10 5 so similar. FC 6 from max instead of 8. FR 2 instead of 2.25from max. RC 13 insteadof14 from max, RR 9 instead of11 from max. Weekend trips luggage. Seems fine. There again I'm use to old british bikes and off roads, maybe expectations are less.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
105N rear. I'm 13 4 wife is 10 5 so similar. FC 6 from max instead of 8. FR 2 instead of 2.25from max. RC 13 insteadof14 from max, RR 9 instead of11 from max. Weekend trips luggage. Seems fine. There again I'm use to old british bikes and off roads, maybe expectations are less.
yeh we spoilt now with suspension tis better than the old days - i had bikes since i was 16, 56 now. Infact never had ABS or traction control on any of my bikes up till 2years ago, still got an 33 yrs old mz skorpion sport (660cc single) still makes me giggle on B roads

mmmmm 105n/mm spring, i did contemplate a 100N/mm but as i primarily ride solo I think the 100n/mm would have been too hard. I also fitted a 95n/mm to my previous AT (this is the second one) which i did not ride 2 up with luggage

e-mail conversation with suspension company:
"I would stick with the 95n/mm spring as it is rated by K-Tech as being suitable for a rider weight of 85-95kg, without kit. To be honest, it's a difficult call when factoring in pillion riders weight. If the bike is ridden predominantly without a passenger, we usually just spec springs to suit the rider weight so that it is not going to be oversprung when you're on your own. You can obviously adjust when you do go two-up."
The I was given a list of replacement shock units, which i did like the Nitron but they start at about £850 for base model with hydraulic preload

With the 95n/mm spring to obtain correct sag i only had to dial in 5 clicks from softest, loaded with luggage 21 clicks.
So its the shock itself that does not have the range :(
Loath to spending out n a replacement rear shock just for the very occasional 2 up with luggage journey

Just gona hafta deal with what i got, its only leisurely bimble to take i a bit of culture and 3 days riding the Ardennes
Home- Dunkirk-Bruge-Ardennes-Luxembourg-Gent-Home

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE with regards setting that for me handled the best during my 1400mile ride two up around Belgium/France and Luxembourg
FRONT:
  • Preload = 5 turns from softest (sag still not equal with the rear sag greater than the front)
  • Rebound = 1 turn from full hard
  • Compression = 5 clicks from full hard
REAR (K-tech 95n/mm spring)
  • Preload = full hard
  • Rebound = 1 click from full hard
  • Compression = 3 clicks from full hard

1 - 7 of 7 Posts