Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
All that's listed is really just generic gear available for any bike. Hopefully they'll not be too long getting specific farkles designed and ready for sale.

·
Registered
118 Posts
SW-Motech TraX ADV Pannier sets are available in their web page; Black and Silver -colour choices.
SW is now my first choice to hard panniers, those are cheaper than Hepco&Beckers or Touratech Zega Pro 2's, and I like the idea that you can easily take off the racks/carriers from the bike when you don't use the panniers.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I emailed SW Motech about @ pannier carriers and this was their response:

Side carriers for the Africa twin are in development, We are expecting them to become available around March.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm still not sure about the width of third-party options. I hate the "fat ass" look of some adventure bikes - especially when the exhaust-side pannier appears suspended in mid-air. The pictures of these ones appear to show a wide backside.

The Honda ones (top-box aside) aren't as grim as all that - I thought they felt more or less as strong as a pair of Givi E41s I used to use on a VFR (talking of wide bikes...)

My dealer (UK) said they might have a SHAD option soon - but didn't have any precise details. I've no idea what they are like.

I'm looking forward to seeing a few installed options before I make a decision. I won't be doing longer trips until later in the year fortunately.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Silver-link was incorrect in my earlier post, this is right one..

But I guess bad from a security point of view, plus how well would the quick release system survive a drop?
They have lock bolt available called QUICK-Lock Anti-Theft Device

So don't drop your bike! :laugh:
I'm more worried about how panniers survive after drop, not the rack system.

I emailed SW Motech about @ pannier carriers and this was their response:

Side carriers for the Africa twin are in development, We are expecting them to become available around March.
So their web-page gives us wrong information; "Deliverable in 1 - 3 working days."

I'm still not sure about the width of third-party options. I hate the "fat ass" look of some adventure bikes - especially when the exhaust-side pannier appears suspended in mid-air. The pictures of these ones appear to show a wide backside.
Yeah, these bigger pannier set all seems to be within 106-107 cm wide. Holans are 98cm something. Cutout style panniers (H&B, Holan) looks better, more "balanced".

·
Registered
269 Posts
They have lock bolt available called QUICK-Lock Anti-Theft Device

So don't drop your bike! :laugh:
I'm more worried about how panniers survive after drop, not the rack system.
Hmm... This is now a more interesting option now I know there's some security available for it!

But surely there's no point in your panniers surviving a crash if the rack system is so bsdly damaged that you can't get it home anyway?

I'll have to do a little reading up on these racks and their survivability. Seem interesting though I will admit!

·
Registered
269 Posts

The Honda ones (top-box aside) aren't as grim as all that - I thought they felt more or less as strong as a pair of Givi E41s I used to use on a VFR (talking of wide bikes...)

My dealer (UK) said they might have a SHAD option soon - but didn't have any precise details. I've no idea what they are like.

I'm looking forward to seeing a few installed options before I make a decision. I won't be doing longer trips until later in the year fortunately.
It's all a matter of what kind of riding you plan to do. If you're only riding on-road then the OEM panniers are a no brainer due to closer fit to the bike and no additional mounting scaffolding.

However, one drop off-road and they'll be toast. So if you're riding off-road you'll need to pick something else and live with the width issue.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Lots of speculation here. The Trax luggage is actually pretty rugged. I've had a few tipovers and a low speed crash (30-50 km/h) and they only had a bit of rash on the plastic corners. They're pretty tough.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Nice one Juha! :smile2:

I wasn't commenting on the Trax luggage though, as I'm getting Mosko soft panniers. I'm just trying to decide what rack to put the Mosko panniers on. That quick detachable SW-Motech rack sounds too good to be true. But if it really is as strong as traditional luggage racks, plus can be removed that easily then that's what I'll get!

·
Registered
112 Posts
sw-motech do make top quality stuff and they always put right anything you are not happy with , in my experience everything they say will fit does fit

bit pricey but worth it

why do bike manufacturers make such crap oe panniers , the only brilliant ones I've ever had are the oe triumph tiger ones

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
why do bike manufacturers make such crap oe panniers , the only brilliant ones I've ever had are the oe triumph tiger ones
BMW make excellent panniers. If you have the money and can find a way to fit them to the AT they would make a really good option too.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Reactions: acarrilho and erey
1 - 19 of 19 Posts