Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went and knocked the new off my 2020 ATAS. I was dismounting to the left side without the kickstand down. When I realized it, I was over so far that I had to catch it. I had a piece of carpet on the smooth concrete floor and lost my footing. Down it went! I had to get my wife to help me get it back up. I couldn’t keep the rear tire from swiveling around the shop floor. With her help we got it up. Right away noticed the left side SW Motech crash bar was now bent in about 1 - 1/2 inches closer to the tupperware. I can see that the lower mount point on the front bent in.
I loosened up the mounting bolts and tried to get a little more space with no luck. Time to call SW Motech and see if I can purchase the left side assembly only.
AD8B2B90-E44A-4558-B064-D6C9D16AE1BF.jpeg

Looks like I’ve posted multiple pictures of the same. Not savvy enough to figure out why I selected only one of each and now have three of each. Anyway, I didn’t expect them to bend so much on the first drop. If I drop it on the left side again, I suspect the crash bar will be in the faring or break, and be in the faring. The solution here is to not drop the bike. I can only imagine what the damage would have been without the crash bar/engine guard.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Bummer. Given the falls and crashes my '17 has encountered, I've only got scratches. I'm surprised to see this from my experiences. I hope they get you fixed up.

I sure know the feeling of knocking the new off. I'm much happier now it's earned some "life experiences".

Glad it wasn't worse!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Secure a ratchet strap to wall and bent part of crash bar such that you can lean bike and use bike weight to pull bar back out.
ratchet strap wheels so they don’t slide out under you.
you have to recreate a 500lb body slam to pull the bar back out.
else, remove the bar and use a hydraulic press and wood blocks to slowly straighten.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well I went and knocked the new off my 2020 ATAS. I was dismounting to the left side without the kickstand down. When I realized it, I was over so far that I had to catch it. I had a piece of carpet on the smooth concrete floor and lost my footing. Down it went! I had to get my wife to help me get it back up. I couldn’t keep the rear tire from swiveling around the shop floor. With her help we got it up. Right away noticed the left side SW Motech crash bar was now bent in about 1 - 1/2 inches closer to the tupperware. I can see that the lower mount point on the front bent in.
I loosened up the mounting bolts and tried to get a little more space with no luck. Time to call SW Motech and see if I can purchase the left side assembly only.
View attachment 57336

View attachment 57337
Looks like I’ve posted multiple pictures of the same. Not savvy enough to figure out why I selected only one of each and now have three of each. Anyway, I didn’t expect them to bend so much on the first drop. If I drop it on the left side again, I suspect the crash bar will be in the faring or break, and be in the faring. The solution here is to not drop the bike. I can only imagine what the damage would have been without the crash bar/engine guard. View attachment 57338
Bummed for you but could have been worse. Funny how the inconvenient location of stuff in the shop reveals itself. I was modifying the center stand on my KLR. Used a gallon paint can for a temporary prop. Slid the can out of the way to check the stand. Bike leaned away from me so I had no leverage and fell over. Where do you think that can was? Yep perfectly lined up with the side of the gas tank. Ouch! I feel for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Those stands flip up too easily. Mine did that when pushing the bike forwards a few metres and I didn't realise. I managed to lay the bike down quite gently without damage but I lost my footing, fell and broke my collar bone. The 40 mile ride back home was painful. Heed crash bars now fitted just in case.

·
Super Moderator
3,812 Posts
Those stands flip up too easily. Mine did that when pushing the bike forwards a few metres and I didn't realise. I managed to lay the bike down quite gently without damage but I lost my footing, fell and broke my collar bone. The 40 mile ride back home was painful. Heed crash bars now fitted just in case.
Ouch, ... and yikes!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ouch!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Always let the bike go and get out of the way. Especially get your inside leg high so foot isn’t trapped under the bike.
Bent bike parts are $. Broken, twisted and strained body parts can end your riding season or riding career.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree but it's a quick decision to make at the time. All's well now. Back on the bike after 6 weeks. Super careful with the stand.

·
Super Moderator
3,812 Posts
Confidently flicking the bike onto its center stand sometimes seems to be a fair "static measure of ability" to manage the machine. If I had new uncertainties hoisting up the center stand, sadly I would be concerned about my future of riding. That said, even during the best of times the rider has to assess the ground level before committing to hoisting the bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Confidently flicking the bike onto its center stand sometimes seems to be a fair "static measure of ability" to manage the machine. If I had new uncertainties hoisting up the center stand, sadly I would be concerned about my future of riding. That said, even during the best of times the rider has to assess the ground level before committing to hoisting the bike.
Can't understand why centre stands aren't standard on this type of bike (They used to be on most bikes) and are usually fairly easy to operate. That leads me to another gripe. Comfort seats an extra!! Why? I've yet to meet someone who would prefer an uncomfortable one given the choice.

·
Super Moderator
3,812 Posts
Can't understand why centre stands aren't standard on this type of bike (They used to be on most bikes) and are usually fairly easy to operate. That leads me to another gripe. Comfort seats an extra!! Why? I've yet to meet someone who would prefer an uncomfortable one given the choice.
Maybe after decades of providing a center stand on their bikes, Honda is following the non-Japanese manufacturing herd and cheapening the build of materials. "If the rider really wants it, they will pay for it."

Honda could also use the lame reasoning of the ADV rider that they are very much interested in reducing bike weight. Omitting the center stand helps achieve that. If the rider wants to add weight to the bike, " ... they will pay for it."

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good time for a set of outback motortek bars. Watch their test videos where they throw their AT down on gravel and asphalt with no damage with their crash bars installed. I have the full set on my 2018 ATAS.

·
Registered
256 Posts
When the CB-77 Super Hawk and variants were in production during the 1960's the centre stand was standard but the side stand was a relatively unknown option. Not many owners ponied up and bought one. The side stand was in the parts book and I did buy one for my bike. You will sometimes observe some heated discussions among vintage Honda owners regarding the existence or non existence of the side stands for these bikes and whether a Super Hawk with one should be allowed in the concourse events.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts