Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, after reading bunches of threads on crash bars, had it down to Touratech, Outback or SW Moto. Chose the SW based on overall favorable reviews, style, design and price.

Mounted them this week and thought I'd give a little heads-up to those that have are using them.

Installation was pretty straightforward but when it came to mounting the right side there was a fitment issue. The rear mount on the bar replaces the small triangular factory frame/engine mount. There are two bolts to the frame and one long bolt that goes through the rear motor mount. SW provides a spacer, part # 26 (black spacer) to fill in the gap (see instructions), except turns out it's about 1.5 mm too short. When I set the bar in place the spacer was loose (noticed I could rotate it easily) and would not allow for a the long bolt to snug up properly. This was easily solved by putting in a washer to take up the gap and then all three points tightened up nicely. If you have these bars, you might want to check this spacer.

Two other thoughts about the bars. One, they have slightly different gaps between the side panels, about 1 index finger on the right and about 1 1/2 on the left, not a big deal in the scheme of things but would have like them to be symmetrical. Two, more vibes when riding, and not so happy about this. Certain vibes add character to a bike but "busy" vibes don't.

Knowing what I know now I might be inclined to pay the difference and get the Outback bars. I'll live with these for a bit and see how it goes. HTH

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the SW Motech bars.

I had no problems with the right side mount all the bolts tightened as they should with nothing loose. Mine have equal distance between the bars and fairing on each side. I can't say I noticed more vibes as I mounted the bars shortly after buying the bike and did not get a lot of miles on it before the bar install.

I don't like the look of the high bars up and around the top of the fairing so it was SW Motech or Outback bars my dealer had a good price on the SW so I went with them. I don't plan on hard core off road or throwing it down a goat trail so I think these bars will be good for my needs.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I also have the SW Motech crash bars and I also have there bash plate. I agree with you OU812. I had no mounting issues and they went on very easy. I just measured the space from inside the bar to the edge of the plastic and both sides are dead on 7/8 inch. I paid close attention to the before and after sound and vibrations of the bike and I can't tell any difference.

pcarnut, I recommend you call SW I can't help but think maybe your bars were bent or something. Godd luck

·
Registered
479 Posts
Mine are fine, no loose spacers, same distance from side panels too. You have made a mistake, there are three spacers in the kit for this right hand side, getting two of these mixed up may be your problem? Otherwise did you actually replace all three, you need two spacers #27 to replace the Honda spacers as well as the black #26. They look very similar to the Honda spacer but should be shorter, my guess is this is the error.

If you are getting vibrations you may have mounted the front bar on incorrectly as well, it is very easy to do as the instruction page is very unclear on that with a poor picture. Others mention the same error on the front bar mounting with the same resulting vibrations. Where the front cross-bar and side units meet they should not be sitting in the U bend, the front cross bar should be in front. As I say, very easy mistake, I nearly did it but copped on at the last minute. I will add a picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
So... I'll say this... The front of my bike was not straight from the factory. I do not have crashbars yet but I do plan to get them. I took my bike to the dealer and they said, "Everything looks fine to me". A$$hats. I am planning to pull the entire front of the bike apart (remove everything down to the frame) and figure out what is going on. I bring this up as you may want to look at the front of your motorcycle and see if it is straight. I have not ridden another Africa Twin besides my own and am not sure if others are the same as mine.

Hopefully, it is as the others have said and you just installed the crashbars improperly.

Good Luck! And keep us updated.

·
Registered
479 Posts
So... I'll say this... The front of my bike was not straight from the factory. I do not have crashbars yet but I do plan to get them. I took my bike to the dealer and they said, "Everything looks fine to me". A$$hats. I am planning to pull the entire front of the bike apart (remove everything down to the frame) and figure out what is going on. I bring this up as you may want to look at the front of your motorcycle and see if it is straight. I have not ridden another Africa Twin besides my own and am not sure if others are the same as mine.

Hopefully, it is as the others have said and you just installed the crashbars improperly.

If you want someone to take measurements of anything, e.g bars to axle and so forth, just to compare to yours just say "King of Beers", it's no bother.

·
Registered
366 Posts
What do you mean by front of bike was not straight?
If your bars are tweaked a bit vs front tire direction, just pinch the front tire between your knees and reef on the bars a bit until straight. Bars are rubber mounted and it is quite easy to end up with bars pointing slightly left or right whilst travelling straight down the road.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you want someone to take measurements of anything, e.g bars to axle and so forth, just to compare to yours just say "King of Beers", it's no bother.

Thanks Eltel I might take the you up on that. I will document the teardown and if I have issues getting it to fit properly I might post it up to the forum.

What do you mean by front of bike was not straight?
If your bars are tweaked a bit vs front tire direction, just pinch the front tire between your knees and reef on the bars a bit until straight. Bars are rubber mounted and it is quite easy to end up with bars pointing slightly left or right whilst travelling straight down the road.

The plastics on the front of the bike are not perfect. I have already gone through the front forks to ensure all of that is straight. I am only talking about roughly less than 1/4" but I can see it and it bothers me to no end. I am not sure most would even notice it... I think it is probably just the way things are put together. I am hoping a simple removal then reinstall done by myself will remedy this issue. For all the "Fit and Finish" Honda is so legendary for I am just disappointed. Also disappointed in the dealers response... but that is another issue... not entirely separate from Honda.

My intention here was not to thread jack. I was reluctant to post anything about it. Hence the, "So... I'll say this...". My purpose was to inform the OP that the straightness of the plastics is a known issue (known to me at least) and should be looked at if not already considered. When I determine the severity of my issue I will start a separate thread on the subject. None the less, thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mine fitted easy with no problems.
Did you use the original spacers or the replacement ones supplied by SW in relation to the triangle plate?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine looks slightly off as illustrated in JasonWD pic. i am assuming it is the crash bars and they just need a adjustment on the right side it's closer to fairing. It looks like a simple adjustment in the srew spacer in the right front? Heck i could be wrong. I love the simple profile of the Sw-motech crash bars honestly and money wasn't the issue though definitely a bonus (i just hope there strong). i almost went with a full Givi setup and they looked great for a full setup i just dont like the looks of cross front fairing bars as much personally.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine are fine, no loose spacers, same distance from side panels too. You have made a mistake, there are three spacers in the kit for this right hand side, getting two of these mixed up may be your problem? Otherwise did you actually replace all three, you need two spacers #27 to replace the Honda spacers as well as the black #26. They look very similar to the Honda spacer but should be shorter, my guess is this is the error.

If you are getting vibrations you may have mounted the front bar on incorrectly as well, it is very easy to do as the instruction page is very unclear on that with a poor picture. Others mention the same error on the front bar mounting with the same resulting vibrations. Where the front cross-bar and side units meet they should not be sitting in the U bend, the front cross bar should be in front. As I say, very easy mistake, I nearly did it but copped on at the last minute. I will add a picture.
Thanks for the pics. Installed mine today and the pics helped! Those do seem to easily mount the wrong way!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I fitted the Honda 12V socket yesterday (Pain in the Arse to fit) a Garmin Zumo 595 (mounting brackets supplied don't fit AT) and it wont connect to my Cardo Freecom 4 headset. I did however order the HEED bunker crash bars for £195 UK pounds.
The HEED bars fitted perfectly and look great, my only reservation about buying the bars were that they may spoil the look of the bike but they have enhanced it. Its probably the cheapest thing I have bought for the bike so far but am very impressed. I will post some pics. They were easy to fit and look like they offer good allround protection (the instructions are next to useless though, bad photocopies). You also get a couple of handy waterproof bags! I dropped one of the nuts while refitting the windscreen when doing the 12V socket so I stripped it down to recover the bugger and rebuilt looks like I'm not the only one to do that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine installed fine too... and have been lent on about 6 times now!
Hey Jason,

Looks good. I want to do the same bars and hand guards... I just had a quick question for you.

Did you mean that you had dropped the bike on them 6 times and they protected the bike? Also, off topic... where did you order your H&B hand guards. I've been trying to find a Canadian supplier.

Thanks!

·
Registered
815 Posts
I've dropped my bike three times on the same side - right (all low speed). No damage to the bike whatsoever. The SW Motech bars work well and they are just lightly scratched after my falls.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I pulled the trigger on these and installed them last night. The left side didn’t meet up so nicely with the mating stand-off. I was able to persuade it with much pulling. Also, the front T-bar interferes with the horn and I had to bend the horn bracket up so it doesn’t vibrate. Mine are symmetrical and look good. Solid too so hopefully they do their job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone had any problems fitting these SW Motech bars ? The RHS went on fine but I cannot get the left side lined up at all. The two frame struts I noticed when upacking were different shapes and angles, I would have thought they would be symmetrical ? Anyone noticed while fitting ?

Basically I have the front attached (even loose), the big long rear bolt can't be fitted as the holes are too far out of alignment - if I fit the rear bolt, the front section is too far out of alignment to even get the bolts in (see pics). Had it all done up loosely but it's all wrong, the plates don't even line up properly when you start to torque the bolts. Seems like a problem either with the left bar or the left mounting strut being the wrong shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anyone had any problems fitting these SW Motech bars ? The RHS went on fine but I cannot get the left side lined up at all. The two frame struts I noticed when upacking were different shapes and angles, I would have thought they would be symmetrical ? Anyone noticed while fitting ?

Basically I have the front attached (even loose), the big long rear bolt can't be fitted as the holes are too far out of alignment - if I fit the rear bolt, the front section is too far out of alignment to even get the bolts in (see pics). Had it all done up loosely but it's all wrong, the plates don't even line up properly when you start to torque the bolts. Seems like a problem either with the left bar or the left mounting strut being the wrong shape.
Did you ever solved this?

I installed mine today and it looks like this:

Can anybody check yours to see if its similar?

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the Motech bars too and had no problem and they look like they should do...super!

One of the problems that some people have when fitting stuff is tightening bolts before everything is lined up
Fit everything loosely first, then start tightening the fittings that are furthest apart finger tight, working your way around, then slowly tighten each fitting, patience is key!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts