Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have them. They do what they are advertised to do. I've had a few drops offroad on the right side with no damage at all except a little tiny knick at the top of the fairing. That was only because the bike rolled right over on its side. No scratches or damage to the crash bars from the fall either. I've had good luck with SW Motech crash bars and gear on several bikes - good kit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the SWM bars installed. I don't know what they weigh but I like them. They provide more than enough protection for a drop. The plastics are adequately protected. I didn't want upper crash bars like Tourtech or Altrider provides. While they do provide superior upper protection they add weight and they add it up high. I don't plan on doing any serious rough off-road with the AT, just gravel roads, fire roads and some two track. For that terrain, the SWM bars are more than adequate.........P.S. The install is easy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a set of these bars I have been putting off installing, waiting on a day too cold or wet to ride: They go on fairly easily? Is it a job best done on a lift or jackstand?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have a set of these bars I have been putting off installing, waiting on a day too cold or wet to ride: They go on fairly easily? Is it a job best done on a lift or jackstand?
They go on easy enough as long as you have the tools, regular spanners/socket set. You don't need a lift or stand if you don't mind sitting on the floor. When finished if they don't look symetrical from the front and at an even distance from the plastics you have probably got a spacer wrong/mixed up somewhere. Take note of the position of the front bar, it sits in front of the U-channels not in them, common mistake, poor visuals in the fitting instructions. You need a cone drill, see the fitting instructions which shows where you have to drill a hole in one of the plastic side pieces on the bike.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi, I am planning to install the SW Motech upper and lower crash bars. Is the fairing still removable with both the upper and lower crash bars installed? Also, will be adding some Denali lights, do you all recommend installing the bars first or the lights first?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2017 DCT, tricolore
72 Posts
Hi, I am planning to install the SW Motech upper and lower crash bars. Is the fairing still removable with both the upper and lower crash bars installed? Also, will be adding some Denali lights, do you all recommend installing the bars first or the lights first?

Thanks in advance.
Yes i can confirm that the fairings can be dismounted when the bars are still on.

·
Registered
976 Posts

Thanks in advance.
I had the crash bars before the lights. Just removed the plastics and ran the wires. No problem at all. You just have to be a bit careful lifting out the bottom plastics as there are a few exposed fastener ends that could scratch things - but it's not overly hard to do.

·
Registered
2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT
188 Posts
I had the crash bars before the lights. Just removed the plastics and ran the wires. No problem at all. You just have to be a bit careful lifting out the bottom plastics as there are a few exposed fastener ends that could scratch things - but it's not overly hard to do.
Mind if I ask what lights you installed? I've got these bars (and the panniers and top box) on order, but the lights I will do in a month or two, and I'm wondering which ones to get.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I put on the Denali D4 lights. They are awesome. Good value and they are ridiculously bright.

·
Registered
2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT
188 Posts
I put on the Denali D4 lights. They are awesome. Good value and they are ridiculously bright.
Interesting. I am very much trying to keep the bars clean of extra switch gear, but understand Honda has disabled the "fog amps" in NA.

Have you got them set to run with your low beam and brighten with high beam, or are they switched?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have a 2016 AT. I bought the OEM Honda dash switch to control on/off - Eastern Beaver and Rugged Roads make a harness to connect under the front plastics - super easy install. I have the older D4 lights that don't have the two stages, just one - super bright.

Interesting. I am very much trying to keep the bars clean of extra switch gear, but understand Honda has disabled the "fog amps" in NA.

Have you got them set to run with your low beam and brighten with high beam, or are they switched?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Has anyone installed the SW-Motech Crash Bars SW-MOTECH Crash Bars Engine Guards for Honda Africa Twin CRF1000L '16-'19 - Twisted Throttle ? How heavy are the bars, do they protect the plastic panels/engine if I drop the bike (I mean stationary fall)?
I understand that SW-Motech makes these bars either from plain steel or stainless steel, extra 60% cost...
My ‘16 came with them installed, just the upper ones too, I got to put them to the test right before Xmas when I found a deer mid corner at about 60mph. Instant low side to the left led to the bike sliding and spinning lazily down the centerline with me following.
I was genuinely surprised to see that when an AT falls on road and does not hit anything afterward that the hard points that carry the weight are:
-barkbusters aluminum guards
-sw motech uppers
-the rear footpeg
-the side stand, that is a touratech and beveled on the outer edge, not sure if I’ll replace
-the left foot peg, pivot pegz installed and beveled the underside but they folded up out of the way after that
-the shift lever, which lost the rubber drum and was slightly more inward but was still rideable to get home

No damage to plastics (!)
No contact to the rear of the bike except the passenger peg
Front of bike also fine, despite a dead on hit, the deer was less fortunate.
Very slight cockeyed slant to bars was corrected by a roadside phone pole whack and then loosening all bolts once home and re torquing.

Already ordered the parts to replace. Weight be dammed, I’m a believer in each of these items to save damage to a bike. ‘Course if you throw it into a ditch then your exp may be different

E

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought a '17 and it came with the Motech main crash bars...the middle ones. In the videos it seems like the main bars take all of the beating in a fall. Should I plop out the $200+ for the additional lower engine bars? What about the upper bars? Am I being too cautious?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just bought a '17 and it came with the Motech main crash bars...the middle ones. In the videos it seems like the main bars take all of the beating in a fall. Should I plop out the $200+ for the additional lower engine bars? What about the upper bars? Am I being too cautious?
So my figuring is this-

tip over on dirt: it’s a uneven surface, with items such a rocks that will protrude and possibly hit the engine or other bits that are on the OMG list

60mph deer low side on pavement: my own experience, with the middle bars fitted, and the points of contact are the handlebars (left barkbuster beveled but held true) left pass foot peg & sw-motech bars, the shift lever was bent but still rideable home, also the underside of left foot peg and a bit of bevel in on the side stand (added character)

I replaced the barkbusters, rear foot peg and shift lever. Re torqued all nuts at the front of the bike and it runs true.

So I believe it really depends on what you are preventing from making ground contact. The aluminum bar from the barkbusters took a full hit and was still straight, it was just that it wore off the screw in point for the guard so I had to replace. The sw bars are visibly ground down and ever so slightly out of alignment on the left side, a bit closer to the fairing, I reached out to see if I could replace just one side so who knows. The cross member support bar that runs in front of the engine held up solidly. I ride very lightly in dirt and more speedily on road so I’m ok with the possibility of a low speed tip over on a fire road as is.

To each their own tho!

E

·
Registered
191 Posts
Is yours a DCT? I had them on my '16. The ones I had didn't seem to have adequate protection for the DCT. What drew me to the bars was the minimalist nature--I figured if I needed a full cage, I bought the wrong bike. I especially like that the fairing could be disassembled with the bars in place. When I bought them they were the SW Motech bars (AFAIK there weren't upper or lower then, and I'm not certain whatever they offered later would fit with these.)

Later, considering DCT protection, I swapped them out for Heed. Maybe there were lower bars that would have worked with them to better protect the DCT. A bigger bash plate would have solved it as well, though the Heed bars cost less.

On the left side of the bike there's the stator cover to consider as well. Do you think that's adequately protected?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've had some rough drops off-road. I hate bolting weight to motorcycles, but knew I needed something on the AT. Tried to find the most minimalist setup I could find. Went with sw motech mid bars, barkbusters, and beefy b and b safari bash plate. I'm sure there's scenarios that could probably cause damage to the bike, but with everything I've put the bike through, this setup has done its job. It all is still working. Another great thing with the motech bars is everything that I've done in regards to maintenance, the bars can stay in place. Value check, air filters, battery swap, you don't need to remove them. I don't think there's another option out there that can do this. I've been totally impressed.

·
Registered
2017 Africa Twin
52 Posts
This is exactly what I was hoping. I ordered the SW-Motech bars today. I figured if I thought I needed the uppers I could order them later.

I don’t ride fast off road so I figure any potential drops should be protected. There’s always a chance that you drop it just right on a rock, but that’s why they call it adventure riding.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts