Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just took delivery of two SW-Motech drybag 80's. The intention is to have a couple of bags either side mounted on the crash bars (also SW-Motech). I wanted to keep extra carried weight low and forward.

These are advertised for use on the tail, tank or crash bars and in the pictures on most websites I have seen have them mounted on the crash bars vertically with the opening at the top.

They did not sit well vertically on the crash bars and looked a little awkward so they are horizontal. That makes it a little harder to pack and the opening is facing forward and slightly down. In the pictures that doesn't look so bad but this is the left hand side, the logo/writing will be upside down on the right hand side. Not good for smaller items but fine for other stuff. They come with a shoulder strap but it would be too much hassle taking these on and off due to the strap routing through the actual bag strap guides.

Top tip, stuff them full of bubble wrap, old t-shrts or something to bulk them out for fitting the straps in a secure fashion. They sit 2"-3" in from straight handlebars so add no overall extra width. They are likely to take a hit in a fall of course, not sure that matters, they are rugged and reasonably priced. Wouldn't put my camera there though!

After fitting I was left over the shoulder strap and two extra ties downs. Those are for tail or tank bag mountings. Cant think I would ever put this on a tank not enough easy access and it wouldn't look right.

In summary, nice looking on crash bars, I like them a lot, good quality, can see them lasting. Might not look great on a tank. Will try again with a vertical mount for a more useful fitting.

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the left mounted vertically. Not as bad as I first thought once I tried a few different strap routes. The SW-Motech instructions do show a horizontal fitting as per my pics in the last post but I am beginning to like this better now.

Attachments

Reactions: Drum Dog

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just took delivery of two SW-Motech drybag 80's. The intention is to have a couple of bags either side mounted on the crash bars (also SW-Motech). I wanted to keep extra carried weight low and forward.

These are advertised for use on the tail, tank or crash bars and in the pictures on most websites I have seen have them mounted on the crash bars vertically with the opening at the top.

They did not sit well vertically on the crash bars and looked a little awkward so they are horizontal. That makes it a little harder to pack and the opening is facing forward and slightly down. In the pictures that doesn't look so bad but this is the left hand side, the logo/writing will be upside down on the right hand side. Not good for smaller items but fine for other stuff. They come with a shoulder strap but it would be too much hassle taking these on and off due to the strap routing through the actual bag strap guides.

Top tip, stuff them full of bubble wrap, old t-shrts or something to bulk them out for fitting the straps in a secure fashion. They sit 2"-3" in from straight handlebars so add no overall extra width. They are likely to take a hit in a fall of course, not sure that matters, they are rugged and reasonably priced. Wouldn't put my camera there though!

After fitting I was left over the shoulder strap and two extra ties downs. Those are for tail or tank bag mountings. Cant think I would ever put this on a tank not enough easy access and it wouldn't look right.

In summary, nice looking on crash bars, I like them a lot, good quality, can see them lasting. Might not look great on a tank. Will try again with a vertical mount for a more useful fitting.
I have these bags as well and like them a lot. Like you, I am amusing them on sw-motec bars. I have mounted mine vertically. I believe they do sit well horizontally, but are far more practical when mounted vertically. When I purchased them, the photo I recall had them mounted vertically.

Great review of the bags and how to mount them. Well done!!

Cheers

Wadeo
Keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for the pics and the review! Helped my make the decision to get the SW-Motech SW-MOTECH Drybag 80 over the Kriega Overlander-S OS-6

·
Registered
31 Posts
Those are nice and what I have been looking for. BUT $100 each? Yikes! Maybe I'll put them on my X-Mas list.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yup. $200 for a pair is kind of steep, but I have to find a replacement for the frunk that my NC700X had. Darn handy feature.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A bit steep yes but I can confirm that in 14 months they have held up well and have proved 100% waterproof. You just want to make sure the right hand bag is fixed well, if too loose you can inadvertently drop it too far down onto a hot exhaust and burn/melt the bottom, I don't want to over-exaggerate that though, you have to be careless. They are Ideal for heavier items forward and low. I had a low speed gravel spill and they helped keep the bike up allowing me to roll away easily and lift. I forgot to mention they come with an inner bag too.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I've thought about these for a while. Thanks for sharing. What do you put in them? Looks like a great place for spare tubes, repair kit, first aid, etc. Light stuff.

Are you worried that a tip over might put the contents of the bag into the fairing or mechanical?

·
Registered
119 Posts
These bags come with inner bags, so what I've done is filled them with my clothes and then stuff them into place. This in my mind will work as cushioning if the bike was to be dropped. Further, I really couldn't care if the clothes got wrecked. If you were to have tools etc then potentially more damage may occur in a fall. Also the bags take a better shape when filled this way.

I know I had posted earlier that I use the bags vertically, however on my latest trip I tried horizontal and preferred it. Largely because fitting the bags on and off the bike was much faster, also the bags seem to stay away from the plastics of the bike by about another inch compared to when they are mounted vertically. I know this sounds strange but you do notice a difference.

For a quick overnight trip staying in pubs, I find that these bags plus my top box is enough storage, and I do not require rear saddle bags or panniers.

Great product - I'd buy again if I was to wreck them. :wink2:

I've thought about these for a while. Thanks for sharing. What do you put in them? Looks like a great place for spare tubes, repair kit, first aid, etc. Light stuff.

Are you worried that a tip over might put the contents of the bag into the fairing or mechanical?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I have a mix of gear in them depending on what I am doing but mainly clothes, my jacket liner, spare gloves (because mine often get wet) some tools, spare tubes and things like that. It is better to have them padded full rather than bits and bobs as it keeps them in place better. Not worried about a tip over as they are held off the fairing/mechanical by the engine bars, if anything they add a little protection. If you spend all day on the motorway/freeway/highway at 100 MPH you might decide not to fit as you are creating extra wind resistance, it is no bother but it does probably affect fuel consumption at that speed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts