Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my ABS manual has an ETA of mid October, :smile2: and I am thinking of either the SW Motech or Outback Motortek Crash Bars.

I have a B&B bash plate waiting to be bolted on and I understand either crash bars are compatible with it.

Any thoughts on which to buy most appreciated.

Cheers
Leroy

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ive dropped the AT on pavement with the outback bars, and they worked great! Fantastic service and response also from them! Highly recommend.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ive dropped the AT on pavement with the outback bars, and they worked great! Fantastic service and response also from them! Highly recommend.
OM shows pics of the bike on its side with the handlebar end helping to hold the bike up, in this position the fairings don't touch the ground. What I'm wondering is whether the fairings will touch if the handlebar end isn't making contact with the ground.

How was your drop in this respect?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the exact same worry when i purchased the OM bars. I can say that on my drop on pavement, scuffed the edge of the bar and the handlebar guard. OM bars worked perfect and are were very secure. Maybe on a an offroad situation at high speeds in perfect scenerio, the fairing could get damaged, but I think the OM bars will protect 95% of most scenerios. My other concerns with the bars that go higher is possible radiator damage, and strength due to mounting locations. The OM appeared best fit/ purpose. Just my opinion. I will say I have been eyeing the altrider option, but were not out when I purchased. But appears to be a good option as well. See pics with bars turned all the way to the right. The hand protector/ bars will keep the bike from going topside. I will be getting stronger bark busters or the SW motech bar protector option, as that is a hit point for sure, as it scuffed the plastic handguard on my drop. Where the powder coating is rubbed off the OM bars is from some cheap highway bars I installed that didn't work as I hoped. Great idea, but woundn't stop spinning.....

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've got SW upper crash bars and Bark Busters and I've dropped mine loads of times offroad, not a scratch on it!, it appears to be much tougher than it looks, oh and I have holan pannier mounts which also help keep the back end off the deck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What did you end up doing? Im stuck over the same choice. One thing keeping me from getting the OB set is in another thread I read the older design has a problem with the front tire hitting the cross bar and I'm not sure which version the vendor has in stock.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The SW ones have 3 mounting points and the OM bars has 2 I believe. I do not have experiance with either but I'm leaning towards the SW bars so I'm also watching this thread.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have SW bars and, FYI, you can remove the fairings with them on. My understanding the outback you cannot? I'm please with the fitment and look of the SW bars. Install was OK, just a tad hard to get to the center post.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also fitted the OM bars and bash plate. I can remove the fairing panels with the bars in place, you have plenty of room.

As for protection to the fairing panels, I suspect it depends what you hit on the way down and how fast you are going (but I agree the photo from OM with the bars straight down is very unlikely). As a rider in the UK, I don't have the open trails some of you have, so my riding is road only.

I'm not a a lover of the higher crash bars, but I can se why they may be needed. I also agree with another poster that Honda have not designed this bike to take proper crash protection, unlike KTM and BMW.

I'm very happy with the bash plate, mainly for keeping the engine clean. All the muck, stones and water from the front wheel hits the bash plate and disperses it.

For just over £400 delivered to the UK, for both items is in my opinion good value for a well engineered product.

I'll now try to add some photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I ended up buying the OM bars and luggage rack last night. The skid plate is next but they are on backorder for a few weeks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Here's the link to what I'd imagine True Ad Venture is referring to.

Check out 4:48 onwards to see the awesome crash bar protection on the GSA. What's scary is the dirt lane the bikes are riding along is far from a hard core trail. It looks pretty lame, yet the damage to the BM is almost beyond comprehension.

Glad I own an AT!

·
Registered
148 Posts
The SW-Motech crasbars weight incredible 7,2 kg! For example Touratech gives for weight of their upper crashbars 4,618 kg and lower crashbars 3,2 kg. Also together 7,818 kg, just 0,6 kg more than SW-Motech.

Outback Motortek crashbars weight 5,5 kg. So, considering light weight and still good protection, the choise is easy for me. The Outback Motortek does not need to be removed when removing fairings. About SW-Motech I don't know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I really like the TouraTech crash bars. Easy to install with good instructions. Quality workmanship and fitment was perfect. Plus, the fairing crash bar (in my opinion) protects more of the fairing. Touratech comes in both SS or black. The Honda fairing crash bars only come in SS and cost a lot more.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
ok decided after much study to go with the B&B Safari Bash Plate & the SW Motech Stainless Engine Guard ....any objections to this ? remembering i live in Thailand and its not easy or cheap to get many accessories ... i will fit barkbusters as well ...look forward to any comments if i have missed something ....cheers

·
Registered
218 Posts
I really like the mid point crash protection, (Outback Motortek, SW-Motech), but as strong and light as they are, (really), I do worry about tip overs in uneaven terrain without upper protection mostly for the radiators, but if it's only a couple kilos extra, the tank plastic also.
It seems all the video and photo evidence where these bars protected was on flat ground. Since I'm not concerned with a road crash, but rather a rutted trail or the like, perhaps the uppers are a good investment.

Forgot about this video which shows how well mid point crash bars work https://youtu.be/7Lbo4XRhGn8

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all, my ABS manual has an ETA of mid October, :smile2: and I am thinking of either the SW Motech or Outback Motortek Crash Bars.

I have a B&B bash plate waiting to be bolted on and I understand either crash bars are compatible with it.

Any thoughts on which to buy most appreciated.

Cheers
Leroy
Hi, just saw this thread. So which crash bars did you ended up with?

·
Registered
21 Posts
got SW upper crash bars and Bark Busters and I've dropped mine loads of times offroad, not a scratch on it!, it appears to be much tougher than it looks, oh and I have holan pannier mounts which also help keep the back end off the deck.
Hi, are you still using the SW Motech crash bars for off road? How are they holding up? I have ordered the B&B Dakar Bash Plate, but am still deciding to go with the OM or SW motech. Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts