Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

after waiting too long on touratech parts (over 2 months) i decided to take a look at SW-Motech parts.

Today has arrived all the parts:

• BarkBuster handguards
  • Skid plate
  • Rear brake fluid protection
  • Side stand extension
  • Luggage rack
  • Luggage rack extension
  • Drybag 350
I didn't ordered the crash bars because i didn't like them, i thing i'll go with the honda ones, in the end they seems better to me compared to the others (in terms of manufacturing and look)

Skid plate was a hard decision, but the assietta from RR isn't available (and compatible with any crash bars), i also liked the altrider one but inavailable till september. The others weren't protective or i didn't like the design.

So, if you are wondering how the SW Motech parts look and you have only found a few pics on the web, this evening, when I get home, I'll shoot some detailed photo of the parts and how they look mounted on the AT :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Skid plate comparison with the original

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Skid plate mounted

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
I got the SW crash bars, hand guards, centre stand and sidestand foot.

All impressive quality and very very well documented, presumably to pass TüV regulations.

Reactions: SKY

·
Registered
25 Posts
SKY - thanks for taking the time to load the photos of the bash plate. I've gone for the full SW Motech hard luggage, engine bars and Storm hand guards , the bash plates definitely on the wish list now.

I was down in Italy last month riding the Strada Del Assietta in the Alps,you really are lucky in Italy with beautiful scenery and loads of off road tracks to explore. The people were all really friendly too. I enjoyed it so much I'm that I'm returning next week with the wife on the back !

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can confirm that overall quality seems incredible for all of the parts except for the rack extension, it's good but not as good as the other parts, aluminum is thinner than the base plate.

Installation of all the parts was pretty easy except for barkbusters: they should provide a different bolt for brake and clutch levers because they are longer to fit the original handguards mounting point, so it remains a gap when you install barkbuster.

Everything works with no problem but for me that i am a very precise person it's annoying :)

I'll report again after a test on the road but for now i can only say thanks SW-Motech! (and bye bye Touratech) :wink2:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SKY - thanks for taking the time to load the photos of the bash plate. I've gone for the full SW Motech hard luggage, engine bars and Storm hand guards , the bash plates definitely on the wish list now.

I was down in Italy last month riding the Strada Del Assietta in the Alps,you really are lucky in Italy with beautiful scenery and loads of off road tracks to explore. The people were all really friendly too. I enjoyed it so much I'm that I'm returning next week with the wife on the back !
You're welcome, it was impossible to fount other pics on the web so i wanted to help all the people like me that was searching for it :)

Yeah Italy it's an awesome place to ride!! For the people it depends where you go but almost all are friendly. Let me know where are you going to ride maybe I can give some advice or only pass to say hi ;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Another "Thank You". You can spend a lot of money on accessories and find they are not what you want. Your efforts make it much easier.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mike - any possibility of you posting a few pictures of the crash bars and the hard luggage - how robust is the panniers - I need good luggage for a long trip in the Americas and am struggling to decide as my preference is for Jesse luggage but it wont be ready until end of the year

·
Registered
479 Posts
SW-Motech Crash Bars

SW-Motech Crash Bars - Just fitted them, nice feel, good quality. I like the look of them, the Honda ones look weird to me. (but maybe offer greater protection, I don't know). The black powder coating matches the frame nicely, silver or white might look a little off.

Took just over 2.5 hrs to fit, most of that time is being methodical, identifying the parts and finding more tools. You need a full complement of 12, 13, 14 & 15mm spanners of different shapes and designs to get to all of the bolts successfully, a 3/8" socket set with at least an 8" extension (1/2" set too meaty) and the Allen Key under the seat (who hasn't found that yet, its for accessing the toolbox!) You will need to use the open end of a few spanners so don't use cheap, they will just splay open rather than tighten the nuts properly.

Tightening the two bolts to the front downtube was the hardest part in terms of access and good purchase. I strongly suggest tightening the bolts that hold the mounting struts to the frame before adding any other parts. Leave all other bolts a little loose as they state for the rest of the build but not for those frame struts to frame, it will have no impact or detrimental effect tightening those from the off.

You will drop a spacer or Allen key or something and it will fall into the sump guard. Have a metal coat hanger/magnetic pickup at the ready or worst case take it off! Front downtube frame bolts are very stiff from factory assembly, have an extension tube or bar for your socket set to get extra leverage, once cracked they come off easily. Only needed to do that on these first two bolts, all of the others are fine. When you take the first two bolts out on the front downtube a spacer will fall out. Watch out, you will need to put this back, the drawing does not show it though. (section 1 & 2 in the instructions)

Things that annoyed me - having to use a cone drill to cut an 18mm hole in the right hand heel guard to provide clearance for a nut, that cost me €26 in the hardware store! If anyone in Ireland is going to fit these bars don't buy the cone drill, you can use mine!

Overall, nice, reasonably straightforward to fit but only if you have the right tools. If I was to pay a dealer to fit I would be happy with a quote for 2hrs labour but no more. I have a centre stand which made it a little easier to fit but it is not a requirement of course.

Attachments

Reactions: Wadeo

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oh wow. That skid plate is way better. I was wondering why Honda didn't bring it up on the one side more.
Probably more to do with keeping the final spec weight down. All these manufacturers use different scales but one thing they know is this category is very sensible to making them look as feather weight as possible.

·
Registered
124 Posts
and the Allen Key under the seat (who hasn't found that yet, its for accessing the toolbox!)

That would be me so, AHHHHHH...gotta find that one.

Yep, found it. When I accessed the empty tool box with my own allen key I was cursing Honda! Guess I was out of line BUT it would be appropriate to provide more basic tools than a screw driver and fuse puller!

FWIW, I did fit the SW Motech side case racks yesterday for my Givi luggage. Very sharp and sturdy item. Fitment was very good till the end when the last two rear bars needed to be influenced 3/4" for the quick detach fastener to be installed. It will be quick detach if you have the assistance of a riding buddy. Otherwise NOT! Also the only way to now get my bags off is to open the lid of my E21's and push the release with the lid open. I will have to see if there is some kind of adjustment to have an easier release.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Great feedback on the SW-Motech quick release items, the fit sounds a little disappointing, glad you got the Allen Key though.

My toolbox had a few extra items which seems to be a European thing, noticeably the adjuster for the front preload which is helpful and a few extra spanners and a plug spanner, not sure if they will ever get used so you are not missing out on anything.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm using SW-Motech and have just fitted the soft panniers. Very happy with all the product and the pricing is good.

However, the quality of Honda bolts leaves a lot to be desired....the heads are as soft as butter....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts