Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone else having a clearance problem with the SW-Motech plate and the stock (OEM) exhaust system? I've looked all over the net and found lots of great pictures of header protectors sandwiched in between the exhaust pipe and SWM plate. that's never going to happen with mine.

I've had the thing off a dozen times, fiddled with mounting placement, ditched the SWM tab mounts for the Honda OEM mounts and back to SWM, fiddled some more with placement, made sure my torque specs were correct, checked and triple checked the rubber snubbers are in the correct spot, etc. I've even had it into the dealer and had them take a shot at it; cost me $90 to get them to try to get it to install with a proper clearance. Never had it off-road so it hasn't taken a hit. Barely even had the bike a month and less than 600 miles on it. It's not an install problem.

The fact of the matter is, with 4 bolts to mount the thing and only one of those being an oval shaped hole to allow for some slop, this plate and my bike are just not made for each other. I've contacted the place i bought it, got shuffled to the place that distributes SWM to Continental USA, and am working this out with them; I expect it will end up being a different plate by a different manufacturer. I was orignally going to cut a piece off the front in the visible clearance area to prevent the conflict with header, but found the hidden clearance problem and decided a single slice wouldn't fix the issue, and multiple slices could potentially cause a bigger problem if i hit something with serious force.

See the pics I attached for reference. There's less than 1mm clearance between pipe and plate in the VISIBLE region, but as you can see from the other pic the exhaust pipe clearly rests against the plate on the inside, causing scorching of the aluminum. Last pic is of the exhaust pipe and the scratching/scorching caused by resting against the plate.

Anyway, just checking to see if anyone else has had this issue (or even thought to check). My bike is a silver 2016, DCT, and is #251 off the line; the belief of the distributor is it's such an early bike there may have been changes to exhaust after my bike and are what SWM used to fab the mock-ups.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just had a look at mine and the clearances look the same as Drum Dog, 3/8" to 1/2" clearance between the front of the plate and the horizontal exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Do you have the rubber isolators on the skid pan? The SW Motech fits without interference on my 2017 Standard. Even after a heavy hit that caved in the front corner and bent the rear bracket ½" sideways - I beat / bent it back to shape and clearance is tighter but still OK.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mine is touching one of the header pipes in the front.
mcrag, just curious, what Year, Model (DCT or standard), and serial number is your bike? As i said earlier, mine's 0000251 (so #251).

i'll keep you (and anyone else with this issue) posted as to the outcome. Supposedly, SW-Motech is going to be in touch with the North American Distributor tomorrow. they've asked me to hold on to the plate until SW-Motech reaches out, as they may want me to try a few things.

thanks,

TC

·
Registered
125 Posts
mcrag, just curious, what Year, Model (DCT or standard), and serial number is your bike? As i said earlier, mine's 0000251 (so #251).

i'll keep you (and anyone else with this issue) posted as to the outcome. Supposedly, SW-Motech is going to be in touch with the North American Distributor tomorrow. they've asked me to hold on to the plate until SW-Motech reaches out, as they may want me to try a few things.

thanks,

TC
Mine's a '17, non-dct. #794, build date 4/2017.
Here's a pic showing the clearance distance from the frame in front (please excuse the dried mud). 4.5mm from frame to inside edge of skid plate. If others who do not have a clearance issue could also take this measurement and report back, it would help to determine whether it's a skid plate plate variance or Honda's header pipe variance.

Thanks,
Mike
Water Metal

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine's a '17, non-dct. #794, build date 4/2017.
Here's a pic showing the clearance distance from the frame in front (please excuse the dried mud). 4.5mm from frame to inside edge of skid plate. If others who do not have a clearance issue could also take this measurement and report back, it would help to determine whether it's a skid plate plate variance or Honda's header pipe variance.

Thanks,
Mike
View attachment 31617
thanks Mike.
It looks like if you slide the measuring tape about an inch toward you the tolerance may be even less than 4.5 mm.

indeed, if others are encountering this problem it would help to know. even with only 2 cases they're vastly different years/builds; very interesting.

TC

·
Registered
119 Posts
thanks Mike.
It looks like if you slide the measuring tape about an inch toward you the tolerance may be even less than 4.5 mm.

indeed, if others are encountering this problem it would help to know. even with only 2 cases they're vastly different years/builds; very interesting.

TC
I have the same issue. my skid plate is tight against the header. I had it installed by the dealer when I bought the bike. It is a 2017 DCT. I forget the serial number but I know it ends in 0069. I have been considering doing something to get there to be a small gap there. What did you do about it after?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi, sorry it's been awhile since I posted: moved, new job, all the stuff. hah!

anyway, inevitably i had Rocky Mountain ATV take the skid plate back, i remounted the Honda factory skid plate, and am likely to go with a B&B or an Alt Rider.

todd

·
Registered
38 Posts
Anyone else having a clearance problem with the SW-Motech plate and the stock (OEM) exhaust system? I've looked all over the net and found lots of great pictures of header protectors sandwiched in between the exhaust pipe and SWM plate. that's never going to happen with mine.

I've had the thing off a dozen times, fiddled with mounting placement, ditched the SWM tab mounts for the Honda OEM mounts and back to SWM, fiddled some more with placement, made sure my torque specs were correct, checked and triple checked the rubber snubbers are in the correct spot, etc. I've even had it into the dealer and had them take a shot at it; cost me $90 to get them to try to get it to install with a proper clearance. Never had it off-road so it hasn't taken a hit. Barely even had the bike a month and less than 600 miles on it. It's not an install problem.

The fact of the matter is, with 4 bolts to mount the thing and only one of those being an oval shaped hole to allow for some slop, this plate and my bike are just not made for each other. I've contacted the place i bought it, got shuffled to the place that distributes SWM to Continental USA, and am working this out with them; I expect it will end up being a different plate by a different manufacturer. I was orignally going to cut a piece off the front in the visible clearance area to prevent the conflict with header, but found the hidden clearance problem and decided a single slice wouldn't fix the issue, and multiple slices could potentially cause a bigger problem if i hit something with serious force.

See the pics I attached for reference. There's less than 1mm clearance between pipe and plate in the VISIBLE region, but as you can see from the other pic the exhaust pipe clearly rests against the plate on the inside, causing scorching of the aluminum. Last pic is of the exhaust pipe and the scratching/scorching caused by resting against the plate.

Anyway, just checking to see if anyone else has had this issue (or even thought to check). My bike is a silver 2016, DCT, and is #251 off the line; the belief of the distributor is it's such an early bike there may have been changes to exhaust after my bike and are what SWM used to fab the mock-ups.

How do you know it’s #251?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts